Old 14-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Ingo

I dont see any noise, or bad noise performance by my D50 in any of the properly exposed areas. Maybe you need a monitor calibration. I calibrated mine the other day.
Old 14-04-2007, 05:21 PM
CometGuy

I am not making this up, here is why there is more noise in highlights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_noise

What you haven't considered is in normal images are processed with gamma scaling that mimimicks human vision and compresses the brightness range of the image towards the brighter end. The result is that highlights are supressed making noise seem a lot less than it really is in those brighter regions. Even with gamma compression part of white band at the top of the image has higher noise than the dark background next to it as measured in software designed to measure that. To do noise measurements you have to use the most out of focus areas (to avoid texture) and areas that are midtone (to avoid large gamma compression and saturation).

Coming back to astronomy, if there were less noise in highlights, this would mean we would be able to detect fainter astronomical objects from the middle of cities than we could from the darkest mountaintops!

Terry
Old 16-04-2007, 07:05 AM
CometGuy

If there is any interest I can talk to Mike and see if he will allow me to upload the 350D + D200 raw files (25 MB total) and let people make there own comparisions. Otherwise I won't bother.

Terry
Old 16-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Ingo

Doesn't matter. I just got a job at a studio starting tomorrow and all they use is 5D's, so I'll be making the conversion to a 1D Mark III whenever it comes out, selling all my Nikon gear because I like Canon's high end DSLR's noise control at high ISO for my sports photography.
Old 16-04-2007, 01:46 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

bizarrely the d50 and d40 are actually better at high iso than their d200/d2x/d2hs cousins.
Old 16-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Muddy Diver
Your Brain Drain

errr, don't really feel qulaified to join in this thread but am reading through because I just purchased my 400d based upon its apparent reduction of noise in low light situations over the D80. I actually found the comparison test carried out on the Dpreview website a very helpful and decisive test and you could see the difference, the Cmos sensor gave lower noise than the CCD Nikon FWIW
Old 16-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Ingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejanus View Post
bizarrely the d50 and d40 are actually better at high iso than their d200/d2x/d2hs cousins.
The D50 is in my opinion, but doesn't have as sensitive as a sensor, but my friend has a D40 and i've seen nothing but horrible at ISO200. It's so noisy even when correctly exposed, maybe he has a broken one.