Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 29-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Imme (Jon)

SGP - "Failed to save image to disk"

Hi guys,

I've recently taken the step from APT to SGP (paid version) for 2 reasons....the meridian flip and autofocus features. I'm also hoping to install a Cloudwatcher soon for obs roof control to complete my 'I like sleeping when it's dark' plans

I had no luck with autofocus/flip on APT even though in general I loved the program and have used it very successfully for image acquisition (DSLR/QHY8/ASI1600 OSC) and scope control.

I loaded SGP up a couple nights ago (latest version), completed equipment profiles and the like and all appears to be working great, however, when running a sequence I'm getting an error message on a fairly regular basis that reads "Failed to save image to disk", delving deeper SGP reports a memory problem. The sequence continues without 'hanging' meaning SGP continues taking pictures, it just throws away the previous picture. The problem is I'm losing every second or third picture - not a great way to collect data really!

The computer I'm using is a fairly new desktop running 4gig ram and plenty of hard disk space.....never even hinted an issue of problems when running APT.

I'm running a asi1600 cooled OSC. I've adjusted USB limit down to 40. I note I was using the "ASI camera" in the equipment tab.....should I change this to the "ZWO camera" selection, or......

I've done a fair bit of googling on this but haven't really found an answer to my issue. I'm hoping this is a fairly straight forward solve with a setting I've missed somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 29-04-2019, 10:49 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I recently moved to SGP for the focus features but I have never had it drop a sub for any reason if it completed successfully, I do have 8Gig of RAM in the machine though.

Regards APT and flips, what was the problem you had? I had that working fairly reliably after a little work, most of which turned out to be "Leave it alone, stupid"

The histogram stretch needed to be left on "auto left" or the short plate solving exposure would be stretched to a white screen and solving would fail. I had tended to fiddle around stretching the histogram manually to see what I was getting and if you did not put it back to auto it failed every time.

If APT dealt with auto focus the way SGP does I would never have made the move.
Old 29-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I recently moved to SGP for the focus features but I have never had it drop a sub for any reason if it completed successfully, I do have 8Gig of RAM in the machine though.

Regards APT and flips, what was the problem you had? I had that working fairly reliably after a little work, most of which turned out to be "Leave it alone, stupid"

The histogram stretch needed to be left on "auto left" or the short plate solving exposure would be stretched to a white screen and solving would fail. I had tended to fiddle around stretching the histogram manually to see what I was getting and if you did not put it back to auto it failed every time.

If APT dealt with auto focus the way SGP does I would never have made the move.
What camera are you using?

APT - yep, the focus feature has nothing on SGP from what I've seen. Always struggled with getting it working - I always used a bahtinov mask instead.
Flip....was extremely hit and miss for me. It may have been the histogram, who knows!?! Tried getting some support for it and tried everything suggested however I could never get it happening reliably

I want my obs running in a way that I can leave it and trust nothing will go wrong during an image run.....although APT was good, it didn't have the tools I needed to be able to 'set and forget' and image run (the focus and flip)

Last edited by Imme; 29-04-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 29-04-2019, 11:20 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am using a ZWO ASI294.

It took me a while to get flips happening correctly in APT but by then I had made the move to SGP as I really needed reliable auto focusing, otherwise I have to sit up with it all night. I am using an SCT currently and the focus change with temperature changes is very significant. The current APT focus routine does not cope well with the SCT even if you could automate it in the imaging plan. Full frame HFR measurement will help but the Celestron focus motor sees in and out differently to the rest of the world! You could cope with it with big backlash/mirror flop compensations but you had to remember to make an "Out" move manually or the compensation would not be reliably invoked. You can't currently reverse the focuser movement in APT or set it to have all moves end with an "Out" move, which would make that part of it reliable.

It is a pity, in a lot of ways I still like APT better as there are things it does in a better presented way than SGP.
Old 29-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I am using a ZWO ASI294.

It took me a while to get flips happening correctly in APT but by then I had made the move to SGP as I really needed reliable auto focusing, otherwise I have to sit up with it all night. I am using an SCT currently and the focus change with temperature changes is very significant. The current APT focus routine does not cope well with the SCT even if you could automate it in the imaging plan. Full frame HFR measurement will help but the Celestron focus motor sees in and out differently to the rest of the world! You could cope with it with big backlash/mirror flop compensations but you had to remember to make an "Out" move manually or the compensation would not be reliably invoked. You can't currently reverse the focuser movement in APT or set it to have all moves end with an "Out" move, which would make that part of it reliable.

It is a pity, in a lot of ways I still like APT better as there are things it does in a better presented way than SGP.
Can I ask what you have selected in the camera tab please....the ASI or ZWO camera?
Old 29-04-2019, 12:00 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

In APT or SGP? I will have to have a look at home tonight at what setting I am using anyway for either one as I can't recall.
Old 29-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Imme (Jon)

In SGP....thanks!
Old 29-04-2019, 06:46 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Just checked, I am using "ASI Camera 1" so the ASCOM driver. 1 and 2 listed as the guider is a ZWO cam as well.
Old 29-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Imme (Jon)

Thanks. Will check mine out
Old 29-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Imme (Jon)

I hate reading forums to find a description of an issue exactly the same as mine however the author has never closed the loop with the solution they used.....so here you are.

I was using the ‘asi’ camera in the equipment list. Changed it out to the ‘zwo’ Camera and it all seems to be working fine now. 10 frames down and not a hint of an issue.

Thanks for the assistance people
Old 30-04-2019, 05:58 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Interesting that going the opposite way to myself solves your issue

I have just had it reel in around 100 subs overnight without a failure, with a successful auto flip in the bargain.

Last edited by The_bluester; 30-04-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 30-04-2019, 06:09 AM
Imme (Jon)

Looking forward to those unattended nights!

Guess the difference is specific to each setup and how things are connected.

......now I just need to organise a way for sgp to close my roof at the end of a run...hmmmmm
Old 30-04-2019, 06:20 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am hearing you there, I have just spent 20 minutes packing up before I go to work!
Old 30-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Imme (Jon)

The obs definitely makes things easier!