Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 27-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Help please with ASI290 not downloading images

Hi all

I am using the ASI-1600 pro as my imaging camera and the ASI-290MM as my guide camera.

I am having difficulty getting my ASI290MM to download images. I can get it to connect in PHD but when I loop in PHD it waits a while and then gives an error message saying it has disconnected my camera as it has not made an exposure in 17 seconds.

I tried selecting the ASI290 in Sequence Generator Pro and used it to take an image. It does not download the image and just continues to say downloading. The ASI-1600 camera works fine in SGP and I took a couple of test images that downloaded no problem.

I am using the ASI ASCOM driver and selecting 290 mini in the driver setup (as opposed to selecting the ASI-1600).

It appears to me there is an issue with downloading the actual data after the image is taken.

I note there is a setting in the driver around USB data % or something similar with a note that if downloading issues occur reduce the %. It was at 40% and cannot be lowered any further.

The 290 is plugged into the 1600 and then into a hub and back to the PC. The mount and my focuser are also plugged into the same hub and were working fine so I don't think it is a faulty hub as such but data transfer could be an issue. The hub is an icy box USB3 and the cable back to the PC is USB2.

I need to confess I have had this gear for 12 months and not used it much due to other other equipment issues on the scope and other priorities going on in my life. Was quite frustrating tonight to have a couple of hours of clear sky and not be able to get guiding going.

I have done some internet searching but not found much on this.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Cheers
Brett
Old 28-06-2020, 08:28 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The first thing I would try would be a direct connection to your PC to eliminate the two hubs (Your external hub and the one in the 1600)

I have been using a 290MM mini almost entirely trouble free for about a year now. The only issue I have had was recently where it appears that moisture caused some corrosion or a dendrite in the USB connection, as soon as it was plugged in, everything else on the hub dropped offline.
Old 28-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

I tried cutting out my Icy box USB hub this morning with no effect.

I also tried using the ZWO native driver in SGP and was able to take an image. No luck in PHD however, if I use the native driver for the ASI290 in PHD it disconnects when I start it looping so I still don't understand what the issue is.

I did have it all working back 6 months ago so it is a mystery why the guide camera now doesn't want to download images.
Old 28-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Further update, just took a laptop to the camera at the pier and plugged in thus cutting out the ASI1600 hub as well. Exactly the same behaviour. That makes me think the hubs and cable from piers to PC are not to blame, it is some sort of software/driver issue with the ASI290 ASCOM driver. Not sure also why the native ZWO driver is not working with PHD either and just disconnects?
Old 28-06-2020, 09:35 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

I had to update the firmware on my 120MM before it would work correctly (I have an older model).
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software-drivers

Click on the FW Update tab.

I loaded the ASI120MM-compatible.iic firmware.
Old 28-06-2020, 04:34 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

The firmware appears only to be for non mini cameras. My 290 is a mini.
Old 29-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Brett, have you contacted ZWO support? I use both a 1600 and a 290 and not seen any weirdness like you're seeing there...the 290 always "just works" with the ZWO native in PHD2.
Old 29-06-2020, 06:22 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Hi Duncan, I have sent an email off and cc'ed you in.
Let me know if you think of anything I could try. I don't really see what I could be doing wrong, there are not that many options and i have tried them all to narrow the problem down.
Brett
Old 29-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Defo a weird one, you’re right, there’s not much that you can change. The only time I’ve had it drop out was when I inadvertently opened up Sharpcap at the same time

I’m convinced there’s been some secret electromagnetic storm only affecting astro gear as last week I blew up my 12v battery and EFW