Old 23-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Doormouse006 (Joanne)

Astro Fi 130 Alignment

Good evening all, I’ve just bought my first telescope ever (Celestron Astro Fi 130), and I got the wifi one because I thought it would be the easiest to learn with. I’ve just been trying to get is set up though and it’s not so easy. I stuck it outside pointing at the Southern Cross, but when I chose one of the Crux stars on the SkyPortal app, the telescope turns in the complete opposite direction. It also said Jupiter is out of slew range. It’s almost like it thinks it’s upside down. I have selected my time and location (Geelong, Victoria). Google and YouTube aren’t at all helpful. Are there any tips I can get on aligning this thing? TYIA.
Old 24-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Multiverse (Grant)

Welcome to the forum Joanne.
I have the same telescope. Yes, you are correct in that it wants to goto in the complete opposite direction. To begin alignment procedure it has to point north, not south - just direct the scope/mount 180 deg, try to have the OTA as close to level also, then follow the alignment procedure in the SkyPortal App. You will need to use at least three stars/planets to align.