Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 02-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Any of you guys into Microscopy?

I'm thinking of getting into it. You don't have to wait for clouds to clear to clear, or for the atmosphere to have good conditions, or even for the sun to set. No moon to worry about. And there could be some really interesting stuff in the micro cosmos, but it's a whole area I don't know much about.

Have any of you guys gone down that path? What's your experience been like?

Markus
Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

The good thing about microscopy is that the equipment is relatively cheap. I picked up a good used Olympus CH2 for $300. I like looking at fresh water life and scum in gutters. Summer is the best time for this as things seem to get a bit quiet in winter. Never been into diatoms or preparing slides. I have tried insects but the small depth of field in a standard microscope is a drawback. In retrospect, I may have been happier with a good stereo microscope.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:02 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Ah, good to know. I as thinking of getting a biological microscope, but maybe a stereo one would be more fun. I didn't realie the depth of field would be so much smaller. I think I'll read that book I ordered on the subject and see what takes my fancy.

Cheers

Markus
Old 03-08-2020, 04:25 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I found a site much like this one where they discuss scopes and put up photos and videos. I may have it book marked someplace but I think I found it by googling microscope forums.
Trinocular seems the go, good for visual and camera pickup on your computer screen.
The magnification aspect is probably similar to astronomy as it turns on your area of interest...wide field to planets sort of thing.

Leaving a slide in a fish tank until it's green is great viewing. Clean off one side and part of the side you intend to view...you see all sorts of things moving about.

Another...place a drop of copper sulphate solution on a slide and watch when the crystals form..mind blowing..they appear in an instant..it's like an office block appeared in a blink.

Specimen preparation becomes the limiting aspect but there are many things you can investigate with little preparation and although it is nice to know what you are looking at one can enjoy it without total understanding.
Alex
Old 03-08-2020, 11:36 AM
billdan (Bill)

USB Microscopes are good, they can capture video and still frames.

This one I was looking at costs $30 and has a range of 40X to 1000x magnification and as well as being Windows/ Mac compatible you can also plug it into an Android phone for display.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Jiusion-Ma.../dp/B06WD843ZM
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (USB Micro-crop.jpg)
128.9 KB16 views
Old 03-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I run hot & cold with microscopes. I brought a stereo-microscope (20x) in the 1990s. It is excellent for bringing in small things to just have a look and can be a lot of fun.

I brought the biological microscope when C19 lockdown was boring me. I like it, but to do it properly, everything needs to be flat and that seems like a lot of work, so I have only pottered around the edges. I tend to just use the 40x, 100x and I replaced the 1000x objective with a 200x.

It is well worth looking at U tube videos, or/and buying a book of two before obtaining gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Microscopes-small.jpg)
33.8 KB30 views
Old 03-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
It is well worth looking at U tube videos, or/and buying a book of two before obtaining gear.

Yeah, exactly. I feel like a total newbie and I'm painfully aware how often we get asked 'so what's a good telescope?' on here (queeu the chorus of 'so what do you wanna see with it?") and I don't wanna be that guy.

I guess I'm looking for the microscope equivalent of an 8" dob :-D

Markus
Old 03-08-2020, 06:49 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Hi Marcus, Like telescopes I guess it comes down to what you want to view. Small bugs or rocks ,crystals etc you want a stereo microscope that magnifies up to around 60x usually. For really tiny stuff a compound microscope is the go. Typically mag. Of 200 to 400x or even more. But involves more preparation, preparing slides, or buying preprepared ones. Lot more stuffing around. I,m not sure there is a 8 dob equivalent
Cheers, Richard

Last edited by croweater; 03-08-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Wilso

Hi Marcus,
You really have to decide what you want to look at.
The compound microscopes are good if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, but you’ll soon run out of space between the lens and the object (hence the slides or samples). You can still use them at low magnifications though but only small objects. In hindsight I probably should have started with the stereo microscope myself!
Enjoy
Old 04-08-2020, 02:46 AM
Camissa (Ecki)

Hi Markus,

I am into microscopy. On my website http://voelcker.com you can choose the microscopic part or the telescopic part. A lot of my European friends love both - I guess it is the generell fascination with optics or to make something visible that is not visible with the naked eye.

Ecki
Old 18-09-2020, 09:35 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camissa View Post
Hi Markus,

I am into microscopy. On my website http://voelcker.com you can choose the microscopic part or the telescopic part. A lot of my European friends love both - I guess it is the generell fascination with optics or to make something visible that is not visible with the naked eye.

Ecki

My friend, you are right - that's exactly what it is! It's actually been quite a fascinating journey - best decision I ever made, and quite uninterrupted by clouds!

I'd recommend it to others who are similarly motivated to make something visible that is not visible to the naked eye. There's a whooole other world out there.

I like your site - a lot of them look like electron microscope images!

I'm getting slowly better at lighting and photography. My biggest impediment is a limited knowledge of biology. Any suggestions for resources / books gratefully received!

If you're interested, I made a couple of videos about my faltering early forays into the microverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OccBXOiSzOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6wvLyKNb-M&t=26s

Cheers

Markus
Old 18-09-2020, 10:09 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hey Markus,

I absolutely loved your videos! Very well produced and filled with immensely interesting Content. So now I’m wondering... “Am I the next David Attenborough?” as I rush out and buy the next mega scope? Aaaargh

Anyway, very well done indeed
Old 18-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks for your kind words mate! It's all new to me. I basically made the videos so I can explain my newest obsession to my friends!

Best,

Markus
Old 18-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Stonius (Markus)

I should also mention - stereo microscopes are fairly cheap - I got mine for about $500 brand new from the states. They're also more fun than (the more expensive) compound microscopes because you don't have to mess around with staining and preparing slides. You can just chuck anything you want under there, even live things like bugs, yet they're powerful enough to reveal cells and microscopic organisms.

Sorry, I'll stop evangelising on an *astronomy* group now :-D

Markus
Old 18-09-2020, 11:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great stuff Markus.

I noticed you on a microscope forum.

I really think you have an excellent presentation on you tube..you either have it or you don't and mate I believe you have it.

I am waiting on a microscope in the mail but over the last three weeks have been playing with a "toy" and it has been such fun. I am surprised how good it is..o my $70 (I bought it for my daughter years ago but she was freaked out and never used it..so I dug it out)..it even has a camera.

The microscope that is coming is a binocular compound unit but I do like the idea of the stereo unit..I probably will get one as well...I think it's like telescopes ..like you have one for wide field and one for planets approach.

It's funny I had the same response to take care of these little creatures.
The eye of a fly is interesting..even sand...keep a journal is a good idea..stuff you see ..New words ..links etc..
Steep learning curve .

Alex
Old 18-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks Alex! I guess the trick is I try to imagine talking to a good friend instead of the camera. :-)

I've got nothing against compounds microscopes - as you say, it's like with telescopes; it's a matter of what you want to see. One of the things that made me take the plunge was microbehunter's videos of live insects (that's probably the site you saw me on).

One of the uncanniest things I've seen so far was when a tiny little ant seemed to be checking out it's own reflection. It would also lick it's leg, then use that leg to clean its antennae, like a cat!

I just saw your PM. I'll go reply to that now :-)

Cheers

Markus
Old 18-09-2020, 02:48 PM
drylander (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
USB Microscopes are good, they can capture video and still frames.

This one I was looking at costs $30 and has a range of 40X to 1000x magnification and as well as being Windows/ Mac compatible you can also plug it into an Android phone for display.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Jiusion-Ma.../dp/B06WD843ZM
I have a similar version and found the stand to be a pain to use easily and found a adjustable system on thingiverse, printed it and now enjoy using it.
Pete
Old 19-09-2020, 05:41 PM
Huey (Michael)

microscope

Hi Markus,
I have been into microscopy for over sixty years (showing my age) and into astronomy for nearly as long. Both hobbies have alot in common. You can make it as simple or as complicated (costly) as you like. The problem with microscopy is that you do need chemicals which are often hard to come by unless you have a very friendly chemist, university department or high school. I recommend you look for a stereo (dissecting) microscope. Have a look for one with a trinocular head. It allows you to also take pictures and/or videos. This can be just as exciting as taking astrophotos to bring out the finest details. If you like it and you want to take it further then get yourself a compound microscope, again with a trinocular head. From there the possibilities are endless and you may develop the microscopist's equivalent of aperture fever! Wanting a different condenser, microtome etc. etc.

It's great fun and I enjoy both hobbies immensely

Huey