Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 15-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

USB to Parallel DB25 adapter, help on decision

Hi guys,

Just curious as to what brand people use on their LE modified Toucams that works well? No Parallel port on laptop so this is probably the only way to get it to work?
Old 15-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Gama

Why not get a PCMCIA printer port. This way your 100 % compatible with the software you use. Plenty on ebay.

Theo
Old 16-05-2011, 10:39 AM
higginsdj
A Lazy Astronomer

I just got a PCMIA Express from Amazon for my Qosmio Laptop (the one recommended by SBIG) - only $30 new. Comes with 1 Printer and 2 serial ports. Would work with my Parallel ST-8E if it weren't for the fact that SBIG won't update their parallel Camera drivers to work on Win 64bit. I may dual boot the Qosmio to have a 32bit partition if push comes to shove..... The serial ports are also proper serial ports (100% compatable) - even works with a Serial Weather Station that I had given up on (won't work with any USB/Serial adapter - and I have a lot of them)

Cheers

David
Old 16-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks for the info guys, I have Win7 64bit so may not work with that either... Good idea though, Now I have to find a PCMIA Slot on my laptop, doean't appear to be one on it.
Old 16-05-2011, 04:09 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Bad choice of OS. At least with the normal 32bit version you can run most peripherals without too much trouble...much better support hardware and software wise. Going 64bit, unless you have a specific requirement to, is just one huge headache. 95% of people don't need it.

You'll be very lucky to find a parallel to usb cable that'll run on any 64bit OS.
Old 16-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

What about using an old desktop computer and using remote desktop to control it via the Lappy? That way I am using a machine with a parallel port, just connected wirelessly. Would this work, has anyone done this?
Old 16-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Gama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
What about using an old desktop computer and using remote desktop to control it via the Lappy? That way I am using a machine with a parallel port, just connected wirelessly. Would this work, has anyone done this?
Yep, thats what i do here.
I have a desktop running Vista in my Dome,and have all the junk hooked to it, like dome rotation, mount, scope, cameras, yada, yada..

Then i have a wireless connection to it, and run Remote desktop to it, and have a half second screen update, running full color 1920x1080 resolution, while im nicely snuggled in my room watching TV and surfing the net, all while running and imaging everything in the Dome outside.
Its as if im standing there in front of the screen.

Theo
Old 16-05-2011, 10:46 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Can't see why not. Should work alright just as long there's no interference with the wireless link. Run XP or Vista (preferably XP) and you should be running alright.
Old 17-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks guys, I tried hooking them up lastnight but they didn't want to, must go over it again. Is there some easy to follow tutorials on how to set up a remote desktop so the XP machine is in the Obs, and the other Win 7 computer is inside?
Old 17-05-2011, 08:33 AM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

How did you try to hook them up??. Do you have a wireless modem connected to the PC??. If so, are you getting any signal?? That might be your problem, low or no signal. Once you get a good connection, Windows itself will step you through the procedure to run remote desktop. It's a matter of having permission on one computer to access it. However, there's bound to be a website showing you how to do it...try these....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284931

http://www.remote-desktop-setup.com/windows.htm

http://cws.internet.com/article/4183-.htm
Old 17-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Okay found out that maybe I should be running XP Professional on the machine I wish to use remotely.... That maybe the cause of most of my troubles I think..
Old 17-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Hook up is Win7 Desktop connected to internet via a wireless router, Laptop running Win7 and Desktop running WinXP home. and I want to connect the lappy and the XP machines so I can control the XP machine via the lappy.
Old 18-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I solved the parallel and serial port problem in my observatory by buying one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT
My old computer was becoming unreliable so I had to replace it. New computers have the problem of no ports.
This one worked perfectly and runs my parallel port camera and the serial port connection to the mount. It could be run wirelessly as well but I like sitting in my observatory.
Old 18-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Cloudyagain (Neale)

I believe you need XP pro on the machine you want to control, XP home will not support it. But you can use XP home to control other PC's via remote desktop

I use XP home to control Vista on the laptop by the scope via remote desktop.

Neale.
Old 18-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Gama

You actually just need a "Little" program that is part of XP Full, but not included in the Home version.

Do a search on the net for this, and just add it to your windows files, and thats it.

Theo
Old 18-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks Theo, will look it up..
Old 18-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Got it working finally! I downloaded a free version of RealVNC, I installed it on both machines and used it's viewer application to control the XP machine. Works well, a slight delay in it refreshing, not sure if this is normal or not, but the XP machine runs smooth. Thanks everyone for their recommendations etc... will try the camera out now and see how that goes.
Old 18-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Hi Andrew. Keyspan make the best USB to seriel adapters which seem to be compatible with W7 64 bit. I use a few of their USB to RS232 adapters and they work and I am sure they make a parralel version as well You can also get a db9 to db25 adapter plug which may be all you require.
Old 18-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks Doug, I will look into that also.
Old 19-05-2011, 12:56 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

Hi Andrew. I have tried so many different PCMCIA cards and adaptors it's enough to make your head spin. The short story is that most do not work.. I now have a simple kit that I purchased from the UK that allows me to connect the parallel cable from my modded SPC900nc to an adaptor that gives me the choice of Serial connection or USB, and it works well.

Do a search on E-Bay under SPC900nc and you will find on for sale that does the job fine. It has been made for this job, and I am sure it will solve your problem.

Regards
Mardy