Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2020, 01:16 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

SS vs oak dowel

Been contemplating replacing the rather average "stainless" steel legs on my SW EQM35 with same size Tasmanian Oak dowels ($31 per 1.2M at Bunnings) and using the stainless end caps also available there.

I don't see many single-dowel tripods though - would a 43mm diam Tas. oak per leg be sufficiently stiff? I believe they would be. I know most wooden tripds either have dual dowels like the surveyor/range finder tripods or gussetted dowels and rods or even gusseted rectangular section like the Berlebach.

Just feeling the mass of the 43mm oak dowel makes me believe that in trio together with the spreader they would be sufficient especially with this light mount.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Wavytone

Lewis, Buy a Berlebach tripod and don't mess around. Their UNI and Report are available in several heights. You like quality gear, and we all know that.

I appreciate the DIY sentiment having made lots of things in years gone by - but 14 years ago I looked at how many man-hours went into making stuff and swore I'd stop that, its better to get paid for what I do well and spend time with the family - and got rid of the whole workshop, which I have never regretted since.

The best part is finding I really can afford to buy nice gear instead of making and remaking a half-baked effort two or three times.

Meanwhile I am teaching my 5yo son to think carefully - only consider making what he cannot buy. And better yet, make a machine that makes stuff to sell.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:28 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Nick, to be honest, the 1.2M as-is length of the dowels is perfect for me, and all it needs is adding the caps (about 2 mins per leg with the alignment jig) and then staining and varnish (which I love doing). Price would be about $140 all up including the dowels, jig, caps. I already have the finishing items. Then just a matter of undoing the grub screws on the SS legs, yanking them out then putting the dowels in and tightening the grub screws.

A Berlebach landed now is over $1K, and unnecessarily adds to the bulk and weight of this "poor man's" mount anyway.

I think I will go with the dowel idea...post pics soon as I start
Old 09-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Wavytone

Lewis, 43mm x 1200mm dowels will be weak in rotation (azimuth), and overly heavy and the thickness in the bottom half contributes basically nothing to stiffness - but adds unnecessary weight. I could do a lot better with crutch legs made of strips of Tassie oak 30x5mm from Bunnings.

Better would be legs made from strips of silver ash, or milled (with a router and a decent table) from solid floorboards of Karri, Jarrah or river redgum (the latter is extremely rigid, but brittle). Even better still would be legs laminated from thin veneers of the above laminated with balsa spacers, and varnished (would look spectacular IMHO) - supremely light, stiff, and stunning - but that requires boatbuilding craftsmanship.

FWIW even the Takahashi tripod - with its one-piece hardwood legs - was crude and overly heavy - the legs should have tapered to the tips and had the centre cut out - instead of being solid and straight-sided. What makes that tripod stiff is the width of the legs at the top where they meet the head - and the metal head, which won't twist.

Frankly you may as well mount your scope on jelly. The "crutch" design used by Berlebach, Oberwerk and even Celestron is far far stiffer in azimuth - even with slimmer wooden parts.

Last edited by Wavytone; 09-01-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:06 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Lewis, 43mm x 1200mm dowels will be weak in rotation (azimuth), and overly heavy and the thickness in the bottom half contributes basically nothing to stiffness - but adds unnecessary weight. I could do a lot better with crutch legs made of strips of Tassie oak 30x5mm from Bunnings.

Better would be legs made from strips of silver ash, or milled (with a router and a decent table) from solid floorboards of Karri, Jarrah or river redgum (the latter is extremely rigid, but brittle). Even better still would be legs laminated from thin veneers of the above laminated with balsa spacers, and varnished (would look spectacular IMHO) - supremely light, stiff, and stunning - but that requires boatbuilding craftsmanship.

FWIW even the Takahashi tripod - with its one-piece hardwood legs - was overly heavy - the legs should have tapered to the tips and had the centre cut out - instead of being solid and straight-sided. What makes that tripod stiff is the width of the legs at the top where they meet the head - and the metal head, which won't twist.

Frankly you may as well mount your scope on jelly. The "crutch" design used by Berlebach, Oberwerk and even Celestron is far far stiffer in azimuth - even with slimmer wooden parts.
Seeing the setup is to be used as an AP rig only, once the target is aqcuired, there would be nil azimuthal movement, since nothing is touching or moving it or the scope - everything moved electronically from a metre or so away
Old 09-01-2020, 02:08 PM
Wavytone

hehe go right head, Lewis.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:17 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
hehe go right head, Lewis.
We'll see anyway - your points are valid Jelly or custard legs

Can't be any worse than SW's offering anyway.