Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-01-2020, 11:22 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

For the fans of Luciano

A magnificent tenor voice in its prime in the late 70's, a pure human instrument with nowhere to hide in recital, must be perfect....and it is. If you don't want to listen to it all, La Danza (at 3:05) and Marechiare (at 30:30) are absolutely spellbinding! This is a fairly old recording now and it still sounds incredible, I can only imagine what it would have sounded like live in the studio on the day!

Luciano Pavarotti Recital 1978

The Greatest

Old 29-01-2020, 12:33 AM
JA

Thanks for posting that Michael. I love Tosti's Ideale at 25:15. There's no doubt he is incredible.... probably the greatest, but I'd also have to agree with the great man himself (Luciano) and include a few others, most notably Mario Lanza.

There were a couple of performances in Luciano's career that really launched him:

1. One was (I think) when he was starting out in 1963 and stood in for an ill Guiseppe di Stefano in La Boheme and sang the most incredible Che Gelida Manina. In the performance of this he sings the most incredible high C, after the note which you can hear the audience's collective gasp at how incredible he was (3:15 to 3:35 listen VERY carefully). It's and old noisy recording, BUT what musicality.....

2. The second item that really gets me and is the aria that had him crowned "King of the High C s" is "Ah! Mes Amis", from Donizetti's, La Fille du Regiment in which he sings 9 flawless high C s. If you want the vibe listen to all of this item from the opera or atleast from about 3:40 onwards - Incredible !!!.

3. I said two, but there is a third that I need to also find where he ends with a top D.
EDIT: It's Posente Amore from Rigoletto, from 3:35 onwards

And then of course there are the very entertaining 3 Tenor concerts which really launched him on the world stage to everyone: opera lover or otherwise.

Best
JA

PS: the most incredible quartet in opera: The Rigoletto Quartet with Sutherland, Pavarotti, Jones, Nucci. 1987. Watch Dame Joan Steal the show at the end (but watch it all)...

Last edited by JA; 29-01-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 29-01-2020, 01:59 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Agree completely with all that JA. While I love Pavarotti and he is probably the greatest ever Tenor, Sutherland was the greatest opera singer of all time, male or female and probably by a bit... Of course the reason I love the recital recording I originally posted is because it is raw and natural, an instrument voice and a piano

Ps. Arhem..after a few beers out at the observatory...oh yeah..I can almost convince myself

Mike
Old 29-01-2020, 11:25 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for the Youtube links, hopefully will get ( make ) time to watch and listen to them later this evening. Have been aware of some of the great voices from the past, Lanza laying Caruso in the movie, as an example and from some of my fathers recordings but really became enraptured by the Three Tenors concert from Rome in 1990, when it was finally aired on TV here later that year.
Luciano was , arguably, the greatest tenor. Such a timbre in his voice, if that is the correct term, that makes his voice unmistakable. Some of the current crop that are worth listening to are Juan Diego Flores and Jonas Kaufman, among many others.

Cheers
Old 29-01-2020, 01:24 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Just don't go posting show tunes Mike, or I'll know somethings up at the MLA
Old 29-01-2020, 05:17 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Just don't go posting show tunes Mike, or I'll know somethings up at the MLA
Ha! don't knock it till ya heard it ...I've had my fair share of ovations in Italian Restaurants, don't you worry! ...in fact, we have one right below us and the owner always wants me to sing Torna a Surriento for the diners, I mix it up a bit, especially if I have come around from the brew pub...oh then I've been known to let rip...heck I've even sung down over the balcony to him and his diners, last time that happened a random guy in another nearby apartment came out and started too, it was great fun!

Mike
Old 29-01-2020, 05:47 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
..I've had my fair share of ovations in Italian Restaurants, don't you worry! ...in fact, we have one right below us and the owner always wants me to sing Torna a Surriento for the diners,...
Good on you Mike,

A man after my own heart (My mother was Neapolitan.) - My boys (young men now) used to perform much of the Neapolitan and some operatic repertoire singing for their dinner at a local Italian restaurant. We should get them together with you for a 4 tenors deal

Best
JA
Old 29-01-2020, 08:39 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Good on you Mike,

A man after my own heart (My mother was Neapolitan.) - My boys (young men now) used to perform much of the Neapolitan and some operatic repertoire singing for their dinner at a local Italian restaurant. We should get them together with you for a 4 tenors deal

Best
JA
Yeah why not...just had dinner down there again tonight, Tony and I sung (parts of), O Sole Mio, Volare and Non Ti Scordar di Me, awesome food and great busy vibe in the restaurant, people love it!...now that's life

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 29-01-2020 at 09:38 PM.