ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2019, 01:28 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Evening Planets

Hi All

Took the opportunity last evening to add to the variety on offer here. The smoke haze had thinned a little and added to the colour of the sunset with the planets Mercury , Venus & Jupiter plus the crescent moon all situated near Scorpius. Must have gotten the focus right as well, when zooming in, the optical double Mu Scorpius has been cleanly resolved.
Location looking across Lake Illawarra
Canon 550D, 18 - 55 Lens @ 18mm, iso 800, exp 1/4 sec.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_7278_resized.jpg)
176.6 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_7271_resized.jpg)
125.1 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (20191031 Evening Planets.jpg)
161.2 KB16 views
Old 01-11-2019, 06:52 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Jeff was this from last night ? (as in Thursday evening ?)

The reason I ask is that I saw a very bright object in the western sky that seemed out of place. I assumed it must have been Jupiter but it was as bright as Venus.

But there was no moon next to it. (and I realise now the moon would have almost been set) It didnt move either so I eliminated aircraft.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Kelvin, if the moon was still just above the horizon, assuming you had a clear western view, then Jupiter would have been just above the moon by a few degrees. Venus would have been set by then as well , so probably not it.
Other than that, I would have no idea what the object may have been, how long did you observe the object for, oh and the images were taken last evening , the 31st, basically hot off the presses as they say.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Jeff looking at Stellarium last night the only logical explanation is that it must have been Jupiter, with the moon hidden behind clouds that I couldnt see.

It doesnt quite add up position-wise (I'd say closer to Saturn) and it sure seemed brighter than a setting Jupiter. Maybe the Saturnians (Saturnines ?) were launching their attack craft towards us

I watched it initially for a couple of minutes but when I left my shed 10 min later it was still there. A plane or helicopter would have been long gone.