Old 13-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Greenwich IAPOTY

Greenwich is done and dusted for another year.

Congrats to Aussie Andy Casely for picking up the Planets & Asteroid prize for his excellent Mars sequence.

I thought the overall winning image as a little too avant garde for my liking...but ROG have some form there....
...but congrats to Rolf Wahl Olsen whose mastery of the ultra deep sky has shone through yet again
Old 13-09-2019, 10:32 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Nice to see fellow IIS'ers Suavi, Eddie Trimachi and er, well myself getting shortlisted in the Stars & Nebula Category

The winning image of that category is a tad wishy washy in colour palette for my taste, but hey, being shortlisted is pretty cool - gotta be in it to win it!
Old 13-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nice to see fellow IIS'ers Suavi, Eddie Trimachi and er, well myself getting shortlisted in the Stars & Nebula Category

The winning image of that category is a tad wishy washy in colour palette for my taste, but hey, being shortlisted is pretty cool - gotta be in it to win it!
The 2019 APOTY book will no doubt contain your efforts. Well done.

BTW another Aussie, James Stone was runner-up the Aurora section.
Old 13-09-2019, 11:55 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post

I dunno...Ignacio's image is a very high quality image, beautifully processed and very natural looking and the subtle NB colour palette is really quite lovely, Ignacio is a master at this.

Well done on your selections Andy

Mike
Old 13-09-2019, 05:00 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Greenwich is done and dusted for another year.

Congrats to Aussie Andy Casely for picking up the Planets & Asteroid prize for his excellent Mars sequence.

I thought the overall winning image as a little too avant garde for my liking...but ROG have some form there....
...but congrats to Rolf Wahl Olsen whose mastery of the ultra deep sky has shone through yet again
Thanks for your kind words Peter!
And congrats to all winners and shortlisted, the APOTY images keep getting better every year.
Old 13-09-2019, 07:36 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyViking View Post
Thanks for your kind words Peter!
And congrats to all winners and shortlisted, the APOTY images keep getting better every year.
Weeell...there have been great images every year since the inaugural 2009 group Rolf ... but your shell galaxy image this year was indeed excellent and is testament to effectiveness of the the panel of judges system employed by APOTY

Mike
Old 13-09-2019, 07:56 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

That winning Statue of Liberty Nebula image is outstanding. The intricate detail and overall presentation of the scene is compelling.
Old 13-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
.... and is testament to effectiveness of the the panel of judges system employed by APOTY ....
Mike
Cheap shot at the Malin's perhaps?

Old 14-09-2019, 12:24 AM
andyc (Andy)

Thanks for the kind words Peter, Mike and others! Congrats to all the winners too. Am not sure my feet have touched the ground since last night. The exhibition is beautiful - after chatting to some of the others, I spent some good time enjoying the gallery, it's really well done, with lightboxes for all images. Andy, your image looked good in the gallery, it's eye-catching! Rolf's was one of those that really suits the light box treatment, just amazing work (again). Ignacio's two shots were both pretty sumptuous though, and his win was well-deserved. I think James got up in another category too? The aurora was a cool shot.

The overall winner was definitely a bold choice, but in chatting to the judging panel, which range from astronomers to artists, I can see why they liked it so much, all very strong on originality. It's brilliant, and extremely original, though it may not be to everyone's taste. But a lot of 'wow's' when it came up on screen.

Peter, I'm staying out of that other part of the conversation!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG-20190912-WA0001.jpg)
128.7 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (20190913_103124.jpg)
186.4 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (20190913_103041.jpg)
191.1 KB48 views

Last edited by andyc; 14-09-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 14-09-2019, 06:49 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Some nice shots of the night there Andy must have been a blast Ive been in the mix a few times myself but never got to an award ceremony a good mate who was in London on holidays was my proxy one year though Congratulations again

Mike
Old 14-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Thanks for the kind words Peter, Mike and others! Congrats to all the winners too. Am not sure my feet have touched the ground since last night. The exhibition is beautiful - after chatting to some of the others, I spent some good time enjoying the gallery, it's really well done, with lightboxes for all images. Andy, your image looked good in the gallery, it's eye-catching! Rolf's was one of those that really suits the light box treatment, just amazing work (again). Ignacio's two shots were both pretty sumptuous though, and his win was well-deserved. I think James got up in another category too? The aurora was a cool shot.

The overall winner was definitely a bold choice, but in chatting to the judging panel, which range from astronomers to artists, I can see why they liked it so much, all very strong on originality. It's brilliant, and extremely original, though it may not be to everyone's taste. But a lot of 'wow's' when it came up on screen.

Peter, I'm staying out of that other part of the conversation!
The Brits certainly know how to put on a great awards night and subsequent exhibition ( we were there last year). I hope you had a great time. The prize cheque isn't too shabby either!
As for the merits or otherwise of a " panel of judges", fair enough to let that one go through to the keeper.
Winners are grinners

Last edited by Peter Ward; 14-09-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 14-09-2019, 06:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Was the overall winner that moon sequence?