Old 18-01-2014, 01:38 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

It's great GSO is kicking it into high gear and making some dam fine scopes for the money. ROFL at the negative comments made by some people, unless i lived in the middle of nowhere with perfect sky's why the hell would i buy a $20K scope and spend over $80k on this hobby. Would i lug a MX and a planewave to a dark site, hell no.

GSO offer dam fine bang for buck, its like a wrx vs a porsche, they may not be as great as the porsche though in terms of $'s you get something thats way better value. Its called performance per dollar index and gso kill on this. Hence the term the poor mans porsche given to the wrx or pepsi given to crystal meth hahahaha

Anyhow theres nothing wrong with spending big on scopes and gear by the way, though if you can't admit GSO is doing a great job and offering dam fine bang for buck then your probably on pepsi hahaha
Old 19-01-2014, 12:36 AM
alpal

This guy called Rob - had to do a lot of mods to get his GSO 12" RC going properly:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/18...ssambly/page-1

Last edited by alpal; 19-01-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 19-01-2014, 04:55 AM
glend (Glen)

I have to agree with Jay, I am a fan of GSO for that exact reason - performance per dollar of investment.
Sure tney may require some tinkering to get the best out of them but that's gets us more involved in creating the solution, much more so than spending tens of thousands more to get a point and shoot. It's about the satisfaction.

I also like that GSO is constantly pushing their product development into new areas, and just this week confirmed a 20" dob for introduction later this year.
. Equipment snobs, be they Porsche or Stellare , will always be with us.

Last edited by glend; 19-01-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 19-01-2014, 08:36 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I agree that GSOs are good value for money and it's great that you can get into the hobby at a price that's relatively affordable. That doesn't mean that a GSO is the right scope for everyone.

Some people enjoy tinkering and have the time and skills to do it. Some people don't. Some people are time poor or have limited access to clear skies and just want to get on with imaging. It's all good and there are snobs on both sides

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 19-01-2014, 10:06 AM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I agree that GSOs are good value for money and it's great that you can get into the hobby at a price that's relatively affordable. That doesn't mean that a GSO is the right scope for everyone.

Some people enjoy tinkering and have the time and skills to do it. Some people don't. Some people are time poor or have limited access to clear skies and just want to get on with imaging. It's all good and there are snobs on both sides

Cheers,
Rick.

But Rob had to do a lot more than tinker with the GSO 12" RC:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/18...-rc-dissambly/

The stars were triangular shaped - when first used.

Even the weight of the focuser & camera was on the primary mirror by bad design !

Last edited by alpal; 19-01-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:25 AM
allan gould

Having read through the full post, I found this very interesting.
However on the last page one chap chimed in with his 12" scope that was stock standard and had perfectly round stars. But there is a way to get the mirror settled down so there is no pinching.
I really would love Paul Haese to do a photographic essay on the transplantation of his mirrors into the truss skeleton as it would be a real aid to us others if we had to fiddle with collimation etc.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:31 AM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
However on the last page one chap chimed in with his 12" scope that was stock standard and had perfectly round stars. But there is a way to get the mirror settled down so there is no pinching.
I really would love Paul Haese to do a photographic essay on the transplantation of his mirrors into the truss skeleton as it would be a real aid to us others if we had to fiddle with collimation etc.

It would be nice if someone could produce a kitset with all the parts to modify these scopes.
Notice on the last page - photos of parts to allow the primary
to be tilted & adjusted.
If you could pick up a second hand one from a disgruntled user at a cheap price
then the kitset & a bit of time could fix it &
you'd have a pretty good RC.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Satchmo

The 12" needs a serious mount - the absolute scarcity of any photos taken with it on the net suggests that people do not have that aspect nailed and that there are very few about . We will have to see if the SW EQ8 can adequately mount the 16", so it may require at least a Paramount . I suspect the 16" RC is more about raising the cudos and profile of the brand than any serious profit motive .
Old 19-01-2014, 07:24 PM
clive milne

Mark, although far from ideal, the neq6 can (just) handle an rc12.

Check these images out:
http://www.astrobin.com/full/67671/0/
http://www.astrobin.com/full/66956/0/

The ota that took the images had the original 3 point mirror cell upgraded to an 18 point.
Old 19-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Will see what I can do Allan.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:15 PM
allan gould

Many thanks, Paul. It's really appreciated.
Allan
Old 20-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Many thanks, Paul. It's really appreciated.
Allan
I think it is going to be another week or two before the crate hits Australia and then another few weeks before it makes its way to me. Might be another month after that before I install the optics and then I will put together a tut on it. I am not in a hurry to change over the optics into the carbon setup. I have almost got the system running now, with the odd thing to complete now and then I will be imaging in earnest on the 12" night after night. With any luck the back focus will be the same as the current 12" scope. I don't want to buy more adapters.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I see that the GSO 16" f/8 RC is now available:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...-guansheng.htm

https://www.astronomics.com/16-f8-tr...be_p20090.aspx

Too much money for me to jump first, but will watch developments keenly to see:
- how effectively it can be focal reduced
- quality of the optics

Roger.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Paul Haese

Not sure why these are out now. There is a rear assembly redesign that is about to under go some testing by me. I would be surprised if the RC16 is in Australia. Bintel don't have them and I have been working closely with GSO and Bintel on the current problem that needs fixing before you can hang a big heavy imaging train of the threaded assemblies which in both images does not show the new redesigned back.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
I see that the GSO 16" f/8 RC is now available:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...-guansheng.htm

https://www.astronomics.com/16-f8-tr...be_p20090.aspx

Too much money for me to jump first, but will watch developments keenly to see:
- how effectively it can be focal reduced
- quality of the optics

Roger.
I doubt that there will ever be a problem with the optics, Jim is great with reflective optics. Getting a corrector though might cost you some dough. GSO don't make correctors because those are lenses and this is not their forte. I am told that the ASA corrector would work with the GSO big scopes but at 3K it might be a bit too much to chew for some. I have been cropping my images from the RC12 to remove the bulk of the curvature in the corners. Though I am using a 11002 sensor. A smaller sensor might produce a lot less visible curvature. For me, I prefer the larger sensor to get the most out of the field.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Interesting replies thanks Paul.

3250mm focal length is only practical with deep sky imaging when using binning or a mountain top. 3K for a reducer would still result in a cheaper total cost than other competion I know of.
Old 14-04-2014, 12:39 PM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

rc

What ever happened to the best telescope is the one you use?
While I appreciate that they may not be the best optics, they are an affordable way of expanding ones interest in this hobby.
A Great Wall ute still gets you from A to B. Maybe not with so much style, but some cannot afford that luxury.
My two cents
Graham
Old 14-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Astromelb

Removed.

Last edited by Astromelb; 16-04-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Removed, nothing more to say :(
Old 14-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

your triplet refractors are totally useless for what I do in astronomy. (spectroscopy)
Each person has their own needs and budget. No point looking down on those that dont have the same desires as you.
Old 14-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Astromelb

Removed, unworthy of proceeding further.

Last edited by Astromelb; 16-04-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: this is a boys "club" feedback is ridiculous and offensive