Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 03-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
That only works if you assume all views are equally valid.

In maths, engineering and the hard sciences there's one correct view and the others are provably incorrect.

Philosophy ceased to be relevant to real-world problems in the 19th century.
Judging from your response, you would be one of those who are highly susceptible to manipulation by influence peddlers who seek out individuals, like yourself, who find black and white answers to most issues, very appealing. If you were to give some serious thought to the issues, instead of running off at the mouth with spurious claims about philosophy being irrelevant to modern sensibilities or 'real world problems', then you might even acquire a little humility, as well.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Momentum...

So now were gaining some traction anyone like to comment on any of the issues covered in the subscribed Youtube channels at the bottom of my original post, there are some topics that interest me and it'd be good to see some other viewpoints...civil if possible, although Im not easily offended.

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude"
...Popper

Last edited by dbowie; 03-08-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophe View Post
Judging from your response, you would be one of those who are highly susceptible to manipulation by influence peddlers who seek out individuals, like yourself, who find black and white answers to most issues, very appealing. If you were to give some serious thought to the issues, instead of running off at the mouth with spurious claims about philosophy being irrelevant to modern sensibilities or 'real world problems', then you might even acquire a little humility, as well.
Hi John
What nerve did Wavy hit?
Your response seems over the top. Have you had a bad day?
Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowie View Post
So now were gaining some traction anyone like to comment on any of the issues covered in the subscribed Youtube channels at the bottom of my original post, there are some topics that interest me and it'd be good to see some other viewpoints...civil if possible, although Im not easily offended.

"No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude"
...Popper
As appealing as your proposal would appear we probably break the rules. No politics.

I agree with Popper however would note when expecting rational argument with supporting facts to triumph over anothers belief also realise that disapointment and frustration will be the only result.
Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
As appealing as your proposal would appear we probably break the rules. No politics.

I agree with Popper however would note when expecting rational argument with supporting facts to triumph over anothers belief also realise that disapointment and frustration will be the only result.
Alex
Oh Ive seen similar topics covered here in recent posts thought they were well within boundaries in a mature open forum, no stress...
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Oh Ive seen similar topics covered here in recent posts thought they were well within boundaries in a mature open forum, no stress...
Well proceed.
Perhaps present an opinion or observation and in so doing set the mood.

My second reading "The History of Western Philosophy" by Bert Russell sees me 50 pages in this time and gleaning only this...it is not important to understand so much what folk think but more to consider why they may think that,way.
Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 05:14 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Or are you doing a Popper on me? HaHa...
Old 03-08-2017, 05:20 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Why do right wing folk think the way they do
Why do left wing folk think the way they do
I will go further what are their fears and perceptions.
How do they see us and them
Why do they categorize
Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Or are you doing a Popper on me? HaHa...
That's not allowed either.
Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:

In maths, engineering and the hard sciences there's one correct view and the others are provably incorrect.

[...]
Maths, engineering maybe, but I'm not sure "one correct view and the others are provably incorrect" best describes how science (hard or otherwise) works.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Ok IM out Dad..nothin wise about your wisdom..
Where did I use wisdon?
You must be imagining things.

Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:

Philosophy ceased to be relevant to real-world problems in the 19th century.
The one "correct" view may still be corrupted by one's belief.

I found an interesting article that claims such behaviour, to quote:

Everybody knows that our political views can sometimes get in the way of thinking clearly. But perhaps we don’t realize how bad the problem actually is. According to a new psychology paper, our political passions can even undermine our very basic reasoning skills. More specifically, the study finds that people who are otherwise very good at math may totally flunk a problem that they would otherwise probably be able to solve, simply because giving the right answer goes against their political beliefs.

To see the full article, view:- http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ou-innumerate/
Old 03-08-2017, 07:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Brenton
I am glad you made your last post for if you had not I would be unaware that I have been getting under your skin.

That was not my intention.

If I have upset up you, as it seems the case, I am sincerely sorry.
I tried to contribute to your thread.

You can think what you wish but it is never my intention to be anything but friendly.
In any event if you perceive me as you do I can only apologise for the offences you feel I am guilty of...

I am really sorry that I have upset you.

I will withdraw so you can talk about what it is that you wish to talk about.

Thanks for telling me how you feel.

Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Your quite welcome to contribute of course, Apology accepted, thnx..
Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Alex, I realise that some of these topics may well have become inflammatory and it wasn't my intention to start a fire, so your warning was well heeded at the time, apart from the occasional benign flame session I have found the varied conversations on this forum respectful and honest as you'd expect from an intellectual community...if it aint broke yet don't try and fix it...no stress..
Old 03-08-2017, 08:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Brenton.

Thank you for accepting my apology and your invitation to contribute.

I will wait and see what comes up and let folk contribute so things can get rolling.

I will read your opening post again as I feel I must have missed the point that your were making.

And as you say...no.stress

Alex
Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Well, U guys have had me researching who Popper was. I had never heard of him before, but his views actually dovetail in quite well with the psychology research project, which I mentioned on my previous post.

It all reminds me of a friend who wanted people to vote "for the good of the country." I asked her who she was voting for and she replied that they now have a small business, so it will be the coalition.

I replied, "So when U where in the Public Service, U voted ALP for the good of the country and now that U are small business, U vote Coalition for the good of the Country."

I seemed to lose a friend that day (or she lost a friend). One has to be so careful with these discussions.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Good Point Bob, I recently had a discussion with a good friend who is a die hard vegan greenie [go figure] regarding the upcoming nuclear waste dump despite strong voted opposition just 200 miles north of me, she was adamant it was a good idea due to the assurances given by the government backed up by science, geological stability etc etc. Being in my backyard and not trusting the SA government or its eventual corporate contractors to do the right thing like putting it underground which they have no intention of doing already, I am of course opposed. Suffice to say its a shame things changed on that day between us and not for the better...who's right?

Last edited by dbowie; 03-08-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Something I learnt from Dr Phil, U can fight to be right or U can have a loving family and friends.

In the past, I have written Letters to the Editor (IMHO sane, not abuse letters), but of course they upset some people. What I have learnt though is to argue (hopefully nicely) for my point of view on a grander scale and maybe change opinions of those who can do something, but to not argue with individual people who really have no control or influence over the matter anyway.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Cant all drive white cars I suppose..I browsed over the Mother Jones, man, we are all over the shop, when was life simpler...