Old 16-12-2009, 10:18 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

QHY8 going mono

My new (hasn't done more than an hour's work yet) QHY8 has just decided to image in mono/greyscale. Desperate to grab anything like a bit of sky, I set up tonoght thoroughly pleased to be imaging after so long - but the results have come out in black and white/grey/whatever. Anyone had this happen?
Peter
Old 16-12-2009, 10:44 PM
TheDecepticon

No! Not seen this at all. Drivers, perhaps? Or did you happen to have them binned? Conversion to colour set properly?
Old 16-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Gama

Make sure its not Binned and color is selected as said by deception.

Its encoded with the debayer system. If your using Maxim, select "Convert RGB" under the "Color" menu on the top.
If your using other software, then look for something similar.
All cameras using debayer are basically the same.
The latest version of Maxim allows you to pick the camera you have or similar types (RGB, M25, etc), further you also have the "X,Y" option as well, so if the colors a phsycodelic looking, then you may need to play with this too until the colors are correct. I think other software does it automatically.
Dont forget to stretch the image also, or you'll be posting agin about how dark the image is .

Theo.
Old 17-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Peter,
If you are capturing fits files with maxim then they are raw. You'll need to correct and stack them in maxim or DSS or whatever then convert to colour.
Old 17-12-2009, 02:33 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Make sure its not Binned and color is selected as said by deception.
Theo.
My turn to be red-faced. It was binned. I should have known. It was the first night in ages when there was a bit of sky and I really wanted to make some use of it. True enough I was blown indoors but I came back about midnight and the wind had settled enough to open the roof again.
It was actually the first time I had been able to mate my QHY8 with my ED127 APO. Seeing turned to muck fairly quickly though and I onoy got in 3 x 10 minutes but after all the hassles I have had with equipment failures in the past few months I am grateful to get even something passable.
And so for the sheer unadulterated heck of it, here is an Eta Carina (not much imagination shown I know) but it is enough to tell me that good things are a'comin'.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (etac_web.jpg)
175.4 KB62 views
Old 17-12-2009, 07:39 AM
TheDecepticon

Eta looks pretty good. Some tweaking and you'll be away. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 17-12-2009, 07:51 AM
gbeal

Ha, looks like you are back Peter, awesome.
Gary
Old 17-12-2009, 10:09 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Good going Peter! You can clearly make out the fickle finger there in just 3x10min subs! I reckon when you get 12x10min subs and can throw some deconvolution or other sharpening methods you should be able to see the finger!!