Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-10-2015, 08:14 AM
RichardJ (Richard)
Psalm 19: 1 - 4

Can anyone mod my Canon 450D?

Just wondering if anyone who has successfully modded a Canon 450D would like to have a go at doing my 450D. Just want the IR/UV filter removed. Happy to negotiate a fee.

RichardJ
Old 15-10-2015, 09:11 AM
glend (Glen)

Richard I have done a couple of 450Ds and would like to encourage you to have a crack at it yourself, it's not really hard to do and you'll learn alot about your camera in the process. There is a good online step by step guide with photos to help you through it. Check out Gary Honis' excellent tutorial here on the filter removal steps:

http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html

There is a camera store in the Sydney CBD that will do the filter removal for you if you wish to pay a professional, but I can't remember their name - perhaps a search here will find it, or someone will chime in with the name. I think they were charging $150 to do it.

If you do decide to try it yourself, just be methodical, and follow Gary's steps precisely, and tape all the little screws onto a step # sheet of paper so that you don't loose anything. It helps to have a set of small phillips head screw drivers (jewelers type usually sold in a plastic case - they sell them at Bunnings), a small magnetic one is a good idea as well. You'll need some toothpicks to manipulate the ribbon cables (the hardest part of the job in my opinion). Draw a line across the ribbon cables at the connector before you removed them so that you know when they are properly in place on reassembly. When reassembling follow the steps in reverse. Its also a good idea to clean the sensor and both sides of the front anti-alysing filter is your leaving that in place.

Good luck.
Old 15-10-2015, 02:16 PM
leon

I happen to agree with Glen, try it yourself it isn't as daunting as you may imagine.
I have successfully done two Canon 5D's, admittedly it was a bit scary at first but once into it it flowed along nicely.
Leon
Old 16-10-2015, 05:50 AM
kon1966 (Kon)

Canon Mod

Store is called Whilton camera on Castlereagh St Sydney. My 1100D was modded and charged $150.

Regards
Kon
Old 16-10-2015, 07:29 AM
RichardJ (Richard)

Thanks Leon and Glen for the encouragement.

Richard.
Old 16-10-2015, 07:37 AM
RichardJ (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon1966 View Post
Store is called Whilton camera on Castlereagh St Sydney. My 1100D was modded and charged $150.

Regards
Kon
Hi Kon,

Thanks, much appreciated.
I actually found out about them yesterday and I will give them a try.
They are now located in Elizabeth street.

Do you (or anyone else) use any additional filter e.g. one of the astronomik clip on filters in front of the sensor?

Richard.
Old 16-10-2015, 10:24 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

I did my 450D a couple of weeks ago. Took about 40 minutes and is quite straight forward. There was another shoo online doing them. Camera clinic. Look them up.

If you cant find anyone to do it and you're not keen I will do it for you but as with these sorts of tasks I won't provide a warranty of any kind.
Old 17-10-2015, 08:10 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Richard. With the type of modification you are proposing, an Astronomik clip-in UV/IR cut filter is a good idea as it blocks wavelengths that do not focus, at either end of the spectrum, particularly if you are using a refractor with the camera. It will also reduce the accumulation of dust on the sensor face. Did the camera shop say whether they will refit the low pass filter after removing the ir cut?
Old 17-10-2015, 04:57 PM
RichardJ (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
Richard. With the type of modification you are proposing, an Astronomik clip-in UV/IR cut filter is a good idea as it blocks wavelengths that do not focus, at either end of the spectrum, particularly if you are using a refractor with the camera. It will also reduce the accumulation of dust on the sensor face. Did the camera shop say whether they will refit the low pass filter after removing the ir cut?
Hi Rowland,

Thanks for the info. I plan to use the camera as a dedicated astroimaging camera in combination with my 15cm reflector and coma corrector.

Richard.
Old 20-10-2015, 04:45 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Hi Richard,

another option would be to just replace the iR filter with a Baader BCF filter in its place. That would leave the camera fully functional and provides the wider spectrum required to capture H alpha. It only changes the white balance but custom WB fixes that nicely.

I had my 450D recently modified by Peter Tan in Hong Kong for $270NZD plus shipping from NZ to HK.

Cheers
Old 20-10-2015, 08:57 PM
RichardJ (Richard)

Thanks everyone. I'm trying Whilton cameras. They charge $180.
I'll give an update after its done and I've given it a run.

RichardJ