Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:41 PM
centauri

Will be doing the long haul from Karratha by road, taking 6 weeks off to tour around while over that way.
Can anyone tell me if Palmer, which is the path of totality, would be a suitable spot?
Thanks
Centauri
Old 16-08-2010, 04:25 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Sounds like quite a trip you are planning there.
As to "Palmer" can you please be more specific as to the location..
I guess you mean in the vicinity of Palmerville station which is located near where the Palmerville track crosses the Palmer River;
Or do you mean at the Palmer gold fields which is further east;
or the Palmer River Roadhouse where the Peninsula development road (route 81) crosses the Palmer river;
Or somewhere on the Palmer river;
or somewhere else?
Rgds,
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
Will be doing the long haul from Karratha by road, taking 6 weeks off to tour around while over that way.
Can anyone tell me if Palmer, which is the path of totality, would be a suitable spot?
Thanks
Centauri
Old 18-08-2010, 10:52 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
Thanks
Centauri
Hi,

If you are considering the Palmerville Track just south of the Palmer River
near Palmerville Station, I would recommend considering another location.

I did some extensive searches and reading last year and there is a long
history of legal problems and disputes concerning right of way there.
The owners of the station have had problems over the years that prompted them
to put a gate across the track. Gold mining prospectors and those with access to gold
leases have apparently at times left water holes used by cattle polluted with rubbish,
cattle grasslands have been set on fire by prospectors to help make gold
detection easier, there have been attempts of mediation with Council to open
the road, land court cases over access to gold mine leases and so on.

So to avoid disappointment, I would not recommend setting off there
as one may be turned back.

The track is 4WD only and after rain is sometimes impassable.

Best Regards

Gary
Old 19-08-2010, 08:34 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi,

If you are considering the Palmerville Track just south of the Palmer River
near Palmerville Station, I would recommend considering another location........The owners of the station have had problems over the years that prompted them to put a gate across the track.
Actually the Palmerville Track itself is not closed - I drove through there last November. But you do have to be careful approaching Palmerville Station to take the correct version of the track and not end up at Palmerville station. There are several signs warning against driving on Palmerville Station.

The track which IS currently closed is the one from the Palmerville track to the old Palmerville goldfields at Maytown. As Gary says there is a long running dispute. That track crosses Palmerville Station and the owner apparently doesn't want visitors. I understand that the main reason is the fires that people start from escaped campfires and deliberate burns. Typically an astounding 40% of Cape York burns every year (due especially to visitors and lightening strikes). Last year it was a particularly nasty year and it was closer to 60%. Once fires start in that area it is impossible to stop them. In travelling the area of the eclipse track last year I came across a lot of area that had been burnt out and in some places fires still burning. Cattle Stations can be completely wiped out. Killarney station for example last year appeared devestated. I have a great deal of sympathy with property owners not wanting visitors. You will find many signs on properties prohibiting camping. If you do want to camp or stop on station property it is essential that you call in at the station and speak to property management first. In many cases you will find the owners approachable. Unfortunately the managers of Palmerville station were away when I went through and I was not able to speak to them personally about what their atitude at eclipse time might be.

But back to viewing prospects in the vicinity of the Palmerville track. As Gary says the track is 4WD only and is impassible in the wet. Attached is an image of one of the gully crossings on the track. There are several of these as well as the crossing of the Palmerville river and they would quickly become impassible. The road surface would also become slippery and dangerous for a conventional vehicle. This area is real outback. DO NOT go there unless you are experienced and have a suitable equipped vehicle with appropriate emergency supplies and equipment.

But the real problem on the track is finding a suitable viewing outlook to see the sun at the low altitude at 6:30AM. The track runs roughly north south and there are trees on both sides for almost the full length of the road. Also the area is surprisingly hilly. It is still the western edge of the Great Dividing Range. Finding a clear spot for viewing will be quite difficult. About the only places are at the Cattle Stations and at their airstrips. There is an airstrip adjacent Palmerville station, very close to the centreline which may be suitable for viewing but as I said above I was not able to speak to the owner about use of it and they may disallow it.
The other two stations on the track, Mount Mulgrave to the south and Fairlight to the north also have airstrips which are open areas which could provide a view. But they are some way from the centreline (but still get more than one and a half minutes of totality). The people managing Fairlight that I spoke to seemed quite approachable and interrested in the eclipse. Fairlight has an outstation near Palmerville station and this may be another option.

And a note of caution if you are considering the track that runs from the Peninsula Development road near Maitland Downs station to Palmerville station. On the map it appears quite attractive as it runs roughly along the eclipse track centreline. But this is the track that is closed past Maytown. Also the proposed 4 day 2012 Eclipse Festival (see http://www.solareclipse2012.com/) is currently planned for a site along this track and it will likely be very busy at eclipse time. They are hoping to attract about 10,000 people!!

So to sum up about eclipse viewing on the Palmerville Track... Quite difficult and not as straightforward at it may seem. Challenges will include finding a suitable viewing location, obtaining property management consent to be there, and just simply getting there by having a suitably equipped vehicle and the weather cooperating. If after all this you are still considering a viewing location here I would strongly suggest scouting it out in the days before the eclipse. IMO it would be foolish to just simply head out there the day before the eclipse leaving this to be your only option.
Rgds,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Palmerville track IMG_0623AC.jpg)
120.6 KB127 views
Old 17-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

ok im all confused on where abouts i should go

Where are most of the IIS'er going to be
Thats where i would like to be where most of us are now that would be great
Old 18-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Liz

Hi Jen ..... I think quite a few are scattered around by the sounds.
I am up at Mt Carbine Caravan park, where I know a couple of IISers are, but the cabins are booked out there.
There are lots of little accomodation places, but not sure where others have booked into.
We will have to all meet up for an IIS Solar Eclipse party the day of the eclipse, which is pre dawn .... yaaaawn.
Perhaps all meet ..... dont know Cairns well, but perhaps one of the beaches just north or south, depending on the weather.
Old 18-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Hi Jen ..... I think quite a few are scattered around by the sounds.
I am up at Mt Carbine Caravan park, where I know a couple of IISers are, but the cabins are booked out there.
There are lots of little accomodation places, but not sure where others have booked into.
We will have to all meet up for an IIS Solar Eclipse party the day of the eclipse, which is pre dawn .... yaaaawn.
Perhaps all meet ..... dont know Cairns well, but perhaps one of the beaches just north or south, depending on the weather.
hey gday Liz
Yeah it does look like people are all over the place i was just trying to snug up to where the majority of us would be i would so love to meet so many of you Where is Mt Carbine
So is Cairns the hot spot
Old 19-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Gas Giant (Andrew)

Hi All.
I don't post very often, as you can see by my post count; but seeing the reopening of this thread yesterday got me kick started to make sure I give myself a chance to see this eclipse. So I got onto the web and booked myself and family a holiday in Cairns from 11-19 Nov 2012.

The first resort I tried was already booked out for some of that time and I thought I might have missed out as eclipse chasers have been known to book out regions well in advance; but the next one I tried took my deposit no problems. So I'm booked
As the time draws closer we'll undoubtedly be talking about it in some detail - and I hope to meet you there

Andrew
Old 19-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Gas Giant (Andrew)

Just as an interesting aside - the same part of the world but a little further north will be in the path of an Annular Solar Eclispe the following May. Cooktown is the closest large centre, just south of the area.
Old 19-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Liz

Yes Andrew, it will be fabulous if clear.
Your family will have a great time, it is a bful part of the world, despite the weather.
Oh, just saw your Cooktown post - Cooktown is a looong way from Cairns, but great for those living up there.
Yes, the eclipse does cover a fair size area, pick and choose.
Old 21-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Gas Giant (Andrew)

Thanks Liz.
Yes it will be a great part of the world to be in even if its not clear; and if it is clear then there is the eclipse as well. I'm also a birdwatcher and I'm sure to bag quite a number of species I can't get in nsw.

Apart from a cyclone - and even that could be exciting if I survive - -I think I'm assured a great time.
Old 22-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Phil Hart

I've started a project thread in the computers forum related to the eclipse:

2012 Eclipse Weather Project: capture forecast and satellite images through Nov 2010

If anybody thinks they can help setup a routine to capture satellite images and forecast charts throughout this November for comparison please visit the thread.

cheers
Phil
Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

I am in the eclipse track area any requests?

I am currently in the Cairns, Port Douglas, Tablelands, Mulligan Highway area of the eclipse track researching observing locations, weather, accom options, access etc.
I expect to be here until the 17th.

Any requests for info on specific sites, images of locations etc?
Reply here or PM.
Regards,
Terry
Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yes please Terry - elevated sites near Mt Carbine? And clear of trees to the East.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Yes please Terry - elevated sites near Mt Carbine? And clear of trees to the East.
No worries Eric, it is already on the list. Expect to be in that area in 2 - 3 days time

Terry

Last edited by AstroTourist; 12-11-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTourist View Post
I am currently in the Cairns, Port Douglas, Tablelands, Mulligan Highway area of the eclipse track researching observing locations, weather, accom options, access etc.
I expect to be here until the 17th.

Any requests for info on specific sites, images of locations etc?
Reply here or PM.
Regards,
Terry
Hi Terry,

On behalf of all of us, thanks for the offer.

Weather-wise, with the SOI being so high at the moment, there are those
of us that are hoping that come 2012, the weather might be less unsettled
than it is now.

Anecdotally though, have you had the opportunity to watch what happens
from a location immediately west of the Athertons very early in the morning?
Is there any cloud hovering low over them due to micro-climate conditions?

Collectively we are interested in hearing what else you learn on the trip
and for some, knowing definitely where you don't want to be can be as
valuable as tips on where one might be luckiest.

Best Regards

Gary
Old 14-11-2010, 06:43 AM
cyclone

In the path of the 2012 Total Solar Eclipse

http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au...se14112010.jpg

Hopefully the same in 2 years
Old 14-11-2010, 06:49 AM
cyclone

http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au...e_14112010.jpg

this is the view from Cairns
Old 14-11-2010, 12:21 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
Hopefully the same in 2 years
Thanks for the posts and hopefully so!

Great set-up with your wecams there in Marreeba and it must be a useful resource
for others in your area.

I just had a look at your webcam 3 again now at 11:36 Qld time and I see the
cloud coverage has increased.

In the webcam in Cairns, it certainly looked touch and go with the cloud banks
over Yarrabah.

I gather on the evening before you will be in a good position as to whether to
stay put or to head toward somewhere like Julatten or out in the direction of
Mt Carbine and Maitland Downs?

Best Regards

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (webcam.bmp)
183.2 KB47 views
Old 14-11-2010, 01:03 PM
gary

Heads up on Port Douglas

A heads-up on those who might think about getting in or out of Port Douglas
on the morning of Nov 14th 2012.

A marathon has been planned which kicks off at eclipse time and is expected to
attract 2000 runners and 700 support crew -
http://www.tourismportdouglas.com.au...20.3299.0.html
Note carefully the map of the run at the bottom of the page which is to start the moment the
sun starts to re-emerge.

Those familiar with the area will be aware that movement on the roads around Port
Douglas can sometimes be slow at the best of times, but it might not be unrealistic to
anticipate such phenomena as officials wearing safety vests and bearing witches hats,
which they may decide to inconveniently place between you and where you might want
to go on the morning, should you need to be mobile.