Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Symon (Simon)

Any one using a Nikon d5000?

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone is using a Nikon d5000? and if so what settings in live view are they using on planetary photography? I took a video of Saturn using the scope a 102mm×10000mm refractor in prime with a 2×barlow the resulting image was very small it was too hard to see details to stack.
Regards
Simon

Last edited by Symon; 20-07-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 19-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Simon, I'm not familiar with that camera model but most DSLR's these days have a live view function with the ability to zoom in, making the image larger on the LCD screen. If you can download an app, such as Backyard Nikon you will be able to stream the magnified image on the screen to your computer and record a video of it. Depending upon the resolution of your LCD, will determine the quality of the video file which records at about 30fps.

It's easy to adjust your exposure this way as what you see on the screen is what you get. You can change your ISO, aperture and shutter speed accordingly to achieve a desired result.

It's simply a matter of saving the video file ( usually an .avi file) and running it through Pipp, stacking it in AutoStakkert and sharpening the stacked .tif file in DSS. You can then make final adjustments in PS.
Old 19-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Symon (Simon)

Hi Mickoid, sorry I should have been more specific I am using live view and backyard Nikon I am not sure of how to increase the zoom to make the image bigger as you record it.
Many thanks
Simon
Old 19-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I've had the same problem with my Canon. I've found if you enlarge the image before you start the video capture, it should record the enlarged image. I don't think you can change it once the camera is connected in Backyard Nikon. Someone else may correct me on this.
Old 21-07-2018, 03:23 AM
Symon (Simon)

Thank you, I think I may have it sorted now, selected the 5 × option button in Backyard Nikon then pressed record it records the zoomed version
Regards
Simon