Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 31-05-2014, 06:41 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Terroux Observatory - Wallaroo Stage 3 has started Yay!

Well first sod has been turned on Terroux Observatory - woohoo

Located on my neighbours property some 400m away from the current setup the new observatory will be bigger and better.

Site cut, pier footing hole and access path done, 100mm road base coming during the week for the rectangular observing site and access path.

Not sure exactly which way I am going to go then though

Option 1) (most expensive) Self contained observatory consisting of a 4.8mX2.4m or 6mX3m modified building site shed with the 2.3m sirrius dome only on top of one half and elevated floor inside around telescope, hole in elevated floor and site shed floor, delivered finished and lowered over the concrete pier.

or

Option 2) (least expensive) Move existing complete Sirius Observatory and re erect as it is now and then have an unmodified site shed as a separate heated control room building several meters from the Sirius observatory and the remaining space will be an outdoor observing area - for the planned new visual scope purchased with the savings (or to cover dome motorisation )

Still trying to decide...either way the cleared plot and location of pier footing will accommodate both options.

I have sited teh observatory about 100m from the neighbours house, another unused outhouse forms a visual barrier from the main house so no lights they may ever want to use can ever annoy me

Yet another journey ahead and almost exactly 1 year after building the current outfit. At least if I go option 2) I know what I am doing now

...more fun and games begin

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (037.jpg)
170.6 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (022.jpg)
151.7 KB86 views
Click for full-size image (023.jpg)
153.5 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (024.jpg)
145.8 KB88 views
Click for full-size image (033.jpg)
170.6 KB96 views
Old 31-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Excellent Mike, lookin serious :-).
Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Looking forward to seeing this project unfold Mike. As you say, having "practiced" last year, this attempt should produce even better results. I am positive it will be "dram-worthy".
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Looks like a great project Mike.

Just wondering why you are building it on the neighbours property though?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Excellent Mike, lookin serious :-).
He he...will I have dome automation though...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstar View Post
Looking forward to seeing this project unfold Mike. As you say, having "practiced" last year, this attempt should produce even better results. I am positive it will be "dram-worthy".
Cheers Rod, having it not in my own backyard makes the building process a little more difficult but I will manage, once finished it will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Looks like a great project Mike.

Just wondering why you are building it on the neighbours property though?
Cheers Ric

Yes, well...wife wishes to move back into the City so she can order home delivered pizza again, Mike very unhappy and wishes to stay in the country to enjoy the darker skies, wife is very happy to leave Mike in the country....Mike asks neighbours for help neighbours love the idea of an observatory on their place...everyone happy again
Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 PM
h0ughy (David)

makes me very very jealous, i really hope you end up in a happy place.

As for me and my little light pollution problem - on Saturday we were about to make an offer on a property but then left the property dejected as the covenant of the land precluded shed or outbuildings being erected or constructed. it was the darkest place i have been too in suburbia, the house was right, close enough for Brad to go to school and i had full command of all the sky with no streetlights or homes being a problem.
If i were you go the cheaper option and get the dome motors, don't bother with the dome opening motors just get the dome rotation. haggle with the price for the maxdome and the motor system, i saved over 900 dollars
Old 01-06-2014, 10:22 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
makes me very very jealous, i really hope you end up in a happy place.
Me too...and for us not to bluudy well move again soon

Quote:
As for me and my little light pollution problem - on Saturday we were about to make an offer on a property but then left the property dejected as the covenant of the land precluded shed or outbuildings being erected or constructed. it was the darkest place i have been too in suburbia, the house was right, close enough for Brad to go to school and i had full command of all the sky with no streetlights or homes being a problem.
Doh! well, at least your are seriously looking, ie it sounds liek it is going to happen for you and that's great news!!

Quote:
If i were you go the cheaper option and get the dome motors, don't bother with the dome opening motors just get the dome rotation. haggle with the price for the maxdome and the motor system, i saved over 900 dollars
Hmmm?..yes...dome rotation..or..a visual scope to use will imaging chugs away, can't afford both....dilemmas

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
As for me and my little light pollution problem - on Saturday we were about to make an offer on a property but then left the property dejected as the covenant of the land precluded shed or outbuildings being erected or constructed.
Can they stop you building an obs it if is attached to an existing building?
Maybe one built into a roof space. You'd need a long pier and might have some issues with retained heat, but you'd have no problems with power or access to a warm room.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:36 PM
KenGee

Hi Mike good luck with the new project. if you are going to go to site for imaging sessions then just get rotation.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGee View Post
Hi Mike good luck with the new project. if you are going to go to site for imaging sessions then just get rotation.
Cheers and Yes, I wouldn't bother with the motor shutters

Wish I had more money

Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Looking great Mike, I hope you'll soon have your dream obs ready
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Mike,

This looks serious! However won't being 100m from a house mean that you'll have to increase the volume of Luciano's singing so that they can hear it?

I too have a ideal site for an observatory that just needs a little clearing. However my wife loves the existing Lilli-Pilli tree that is there and can't see the benefits of removing it... I explain, draw diagrams, show photos, produce charts, remonstrate with outlandish hand gestures as only an Italian can, all to no avail! Wives - what can you do....

Cheers,
Mario

Last edited by cybereye; 02-06-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyViking View Post
Looking great Mike, I hope you'll soon have your dream obs ready
So do I...still in mental turmoil over the exact design path....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereye View Post
Mike,

This looks serious! However won't being 100m from a house mean that you'll have to increase the volume of Luciano's singing so that they can hear it?
luckily they are big opera fans, Pete's favourite aria is Una furtiva Lagrima..the first verse of which I can at least scrape together

Quote:
I too have a ideal site for an observatory that just needs a little clearing. However my wife loves the existing Lilli-Pilli tree that is there and can't see the benefits of removing it... I explain, draw diagrams, show photos, produce charts, remonstrate with outlandish hand gestures as only an Italian can, all to no avail! Wives - what can you do....

Cheers,
Mario
Observatory for a tree no brainer... transplant it

Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post

Observatory for a tree no brainer... transplant it

Mike
A tad too big to transplant unfortunately...
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Good luck with the project, Mike!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Always like to follow your observatory building projects Mike!

Either option it's a no brainer to motorize the dome, right?

Curious: do you have a lease agreement in place for the use of the land ... or is it just a handshake?

Cheers, Marcus
Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Good luck with the project, Mike!
Cheers Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Always like to follow your observatory building projects Mike!

Either option it's a no brainer to motorize the dome, right?

Curious: do you have a lease agreement in place for the use of the land ... or is it just a handshake?

Cheers, Marcus
Yes motorization is looking good but I promised the neighbours I would have a visual scope handy to show visitors the sky through (they have a big extended family and hold fund raising functions on the property from time to time) and my scope is always tied up with imaging gear attached permanently...so I was pretty keen on getting a nice 12" dob or similar and besides I wouldn't mind being able to do some visual while the scope images..?

At this point just a hand shake but we may draw up somthing more formal when the construction is complete..?

Mike
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Good luck with the build Mike. I'll be watching this closely as well as going back through the DIY Obs threads of old, as I have just purchased a house for myself and have plans to get my deep space gear permanently setup.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post

Cheers Ric

Yes, well...wife wishes to move back into the City so she can order home delivered pizza again, Mike very unhappy and wishes to stay in the country to enjoy the darker skies, wife is very happy to leave Mike in the country....Mike asks neighbours for help neighbours love the idea of an observatory on their place...everyone happy again
Stay in the bush mate, home delivered pizza is way over-rated.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Mighty_oz (Marcus)

Or learn how to make home made pizza for the wife that she loves and then u can both stay there ??
Wish u well with your plans.