Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Olympus falls

This could well be the very last image I post...... that was taken with the Olympus 4/3 EMP-2 Mirrorless camera....THE TRIFID .... Yes you read it here first ,I've taken the leap after much vasalation and bought a zwoasi071 mc pro camera.
Nerd Stats , 362 Lights 14 Darks @ 4 sec/sub ISO3200. Thanks to Dave for the initial processing through Pixinsight for Debayering?? Processed in Startools and a little saturation enhancement in PS. I think I'm not overly happy with the stars as I needed to round them. Never as good looking as not needing too but I ditched about 500 other frames which were not acceptable.
Here's the full res. ASTROBIN link .https://astrob.in/57oxge/0/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Trifid362L 14D3299 4s final s.jpeg)
142.2 KB51 views
Old 24-09-2020, 07:40 AM
PKay (Peter)

The end of an era Wes.

With your new camera, you might not look back.

And so the learning curve starts again...

Nice image!
Old 24-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Wes,
Nice image all considered
I thought progressing from a DSLR after just over 3 years to a Cooled OSC would be a daunting task full of problems to overcome through trial and error , learning new software , processing etc...
For me at least, it’s been a seamless transition as I spent a fair amount of time ( 6 months ) learning the software , learning about the camera , watching YouTube clips , reading articles on CN and so on ........
It’s really been easy and the difference between my Canon 600D DSLR and the ZWOASI2600MC is chalk and cheese
I don’t know what software your going to use but with the ZWOASI071MC can I suggest to run the camera using the Ascom driver not ZWO native driver ( less problems down the track )
Also can I suggest for you to join the ZWO support forum , they have been great , I’ve asked a few questions about my camera and they replied within 24 hours , great support
Also a plug for APT capture software, so easy and reliable , a really nice progression from BYEOS
Good luck and congratulations with the new ZWOASI071MC camera , your going to go nuts using it !!!
Cheers
Martin
Old 24-09-2020, 01:38 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hi Wes,

Congratulations on getting a ZWOASI 071mc pro

Great camera i thoroughly recommend it, very easy to use and very low noise, some simple points below i learned in the first few months of using it.

Gain of 90 works well for exposures of 2 or 3 mins or more, if very short exposures are used the gain can be increased to give good results.

Depending on image scale needed 1x1 or 2x2 binning works well.

Cooling to 0 degrees works very well,
If cooling below 0 degrees take it down slowly from 0 to -15 or more slowly over 5mins or so as ice crystals can form if cooling is too rapid.

The inbuilt dew remover heater works well while cooling the camera however if moisture inside the camera proves a problem the decicant tabs inside the camera can be easily removed and recharged in a microwave by following the ZWO instructions and replacement ones are easily available.

Great camera, have fun.

Wayne.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Terrific field at that FL. You'll certainly benefit in your dynamic range with the new camera.
Old 24-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
The end of an era Wes.

With your new camera, you might not look back.

And so the learning curve starts again...

Nice image!
You've been a champion and encourager through this journey . Thanks for you support Pkay . The journey continues .
Old 24-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anderson View Post
Hi Wes,

Congratulations on getting a ZWOASI 071mc pro

Great camera i thoroughly recommend it, very easy to use and very low noise, some simple points below i learned in the first few months of using it.

Gain of 90 works well for exposures of 2 or 3 mins or more, if very short exposures are used the gain can be increased to give good results.

Depending on image scale needed 1x1 or 2x2 binning works well.

Cooling to 0 degrees works very well,
If cooling below 0 degrees take it down slowly from 0 to -15 or more slowly over 5mins or so as ice crystals can form if cooling is too rapid.

The inbuilt dew remover heater works well while cooling the camera however if moisture inside the camera proves a problem the decicant tabs inside the camera can be easily removed and recharged in a microwave by following the ZWO instructions and replacement ones are easily available.

Great camera, have fun.

Wayne.
Thanks so much Wayne for sharing your experience .T'will be very handy knowing that! I look forward to the day i can take that long a SUB. Fine weather arrived this afternoon ( opposite normal Astro gear delivery i hear) and it's headed your way
Old 24-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Terrific field at that FL. You'll certainly benefit in your dynamic range with the new camera.
It was a bit of a journey learning about Arc/sec per pixel, over and undersampling and coming to the conclusion that the ZWOASI071 was the way to go. An increase in pixel size from the Olympus's 3.74 to 4.74 um was required and yes 2x2 binning should do the trick. Alos an increase on the FOV was a tick box . I could not justify $6k for the full frame option though!!Hopefully I dodge coma too with the APS C size chip..The FL is a blessing and a curse at times with the drift the servocat has. I'm talking to SDM Godfather Peter read about some improvement mods in the AZ axis . So stay tuned .