Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Ngc 55

NGC 55.

Big one here

A strongly overlapping three-panel mosaic, because it almost overflows our field, and we so much wanted that bright blue-yellow pair of stars at the bottom left.

We're rather thrilled to see the effect of the long exposure on the morphology of all the tiny little distant galaxies in the background.

Lum 28 hrs, RGB 4 hrs per channel, all in 30 min unbinned subs. Total exposure 40 hours. Aspen CG16M on 20 inch PlaneWave. New moon.
0.55 sec arc/pixel, North up.

No personnel were frozen during acquisition.

Very best,
Mike and Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 55 3 panel mosaic Lum 28 hrs RGB 4 hrs each Thumb.jpg)
151.2 KB82 views
Old 12-09-2018, 12:09 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Very nice!
Old 12-09-2018, 12:54 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

That's a lovely NGC55. I love that you guys plan your framing/composition (considering that star pair etc) rather than just centre the target and blast away. The cluster of galaxies at about 7 o'clock is very nice and adds to it as well.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Top shot mate! What I find always fascinating in your deep sky photos is the amount of colored and detailed faint fuzzies in the back.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:40 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

Holy cow!

Did you submit this for APOD?
Old 12-09-2018, 01:47 PM
Paul Haese

That's nice MnT. Colour looks really good. Lots of background galaxies too.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

You’ve done a nice job in terms of sharpness, detail, colour and composition, although I must admit that ngc55 is not a galaxy that I particularly like.
Geoff
Old 12-09-2018, 04:26 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yep a great NGC 55 guys, with your usual colour magic evident The background is very cool but I agree with Geoff on this galaxy, like The Meat Hook and NGC 247 and a few others, I never liked em for some reason ...until I actually imaged them Then ya kind of get to know'em and realise the hidden beauty that you were just over looking ...heeence...I am currently hammering this baby myself ...but I'm not cuddled up with a good lady inside watching NetFlix while my gear works ...buuuut enjoying views of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Venus through my 12" Dob while swilling beer under the Milky Way between dome pushes

Mike
Old 12-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Very nice!
Ta, Lee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
That's a lovely NGC55. I love that you guys plan your framing/composition (considering that star pair etc) rather than just centre the target and blast away. The cluster of galaxies at about 7 o'clock is very nice and adds to it as well.
Thanks Troy. It's humbling / inspiring to think that each of those distant galaxies is another example of something equally grand, and the shapeless orange ones are the wreckage of multiple galaxies that were once so grand, yet those two stars at the bottom are already bigger than anything we can conceive of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Top shot mate! What I find always fascinating in your deep sky photos is the amount of colored and detailed faint fuzzies in the back.
Hi, Marc! It's certainly not the sharpness of the optics that brings out all the distant ones; it's the long exposure and the huge collecting area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Holy cow!

Did you submit this for APOD?
Thanks so much for your praise and encouragement Kevin, much appreciated. APOD's of late seem to be reserved for Norwegian auroras and Milky Ways rising over icy troll's tongues. One can understand their wanting to show off rockets heading toward the sun, but noctilucent clouds and geysers seem more picturesque than astronomical. We reckon we're in better company here on IIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
That's nice MnT. Colour looks really good. Lots of background galaxies too.
Thanks Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
You’ve done a nice job in terms of sharpness, detail, colour and composition, although I must admit that ngc55 is not a galaxy that I particularly like.
Geoff
Ta Geoff. Aye, it looks more like a train wreck than a beautiful spiral, but we like the intense star formation. Amazing to think that each of those blue dots is another Tarantula. Speculating wildly, if anything lives there it would have to be comfortable with lots of radiation and interesting times.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Delightful resolution and nuanced colour. One of your best images methinks

Last edited by Peter Ward; 12-09-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2018, 04:55 PM
markas (Mark)

Great rendition of this very rewarding target

Mark
Old 12-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yep a great NGC 55 guys, with your usual colour magic evident The background is very cool but I agree with Geoff on this galaxy, like The Meat Hook and NGC 247 and a few others, I never liked em for some reason ...until I actually imaged them Then ya kind of get to know'em and realise the hidden beauty that you were just over looking ...heeence...I am currently hammering this baby myself ...but I'm not cuddled up with a good lady inside watching NetFlix while my gear works ...buuuut enjoying views of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Venus through my 12" Dob while swilling beer under the Milky Way between dome pushes

Mike

Thanks Mike. That's a very evocative summary of both the aesthetics of the unusual and of the quiet pleasure of actually being out there, making it happen, despite the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Delightful resolution and nuanced colour. One of your best images methinks
Thanks Peter! We were very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
Great rendition of this very rewarding target

Mark

Cheers, Mark, that's kind.

Best,
MnT
Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Looks great M&T- not my favourite galaxy either but you have done a terrific job and this imagewith all those background galactobits and Beautiful star colours looks terrific!
Wow your fov must be really tiny if you need 3 panels to fit this little puppy in though?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:41 PM
gregbradley

Very nicely done and great colours.

Greg.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:14 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

My eye was drawn to the bottom left corner. The detail in those small galaxies was quite spectacular.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Looks great M&T- not my favourite galaxy either but you have done a terrific job and this imagewith all those background galactobits and Beautiful star colours looks terrific!
Wow your fov must be really tiny if you need 3 panels to fit this little puppy in though?
Thanks Andy! The big galaxy will just fit the frame at the angle shown, but there's vignetting, and there's the different channels not quite matching. Some of the "halo" at the tips gets compromised. So while it is a mosaic, we've only extended the frame from an original 4000 pixels to just under 5000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Very nicely done and great colours.

Greg.
Ta, Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
My eye was drawn to the bottom left corner. The detail in those small galaxies was quite spectacular.
Thanks Peter. For us, the background is almost as much fun as the main subject.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

That is pretty spectacular MnT. As others have said, it isn’t the most intesting of subjects but you’ve done a great job with both resolution and colour along with the large smattering of smaller background galaxies.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hands down the nicest image of this galaxy I have seen. Love the background galaxies and colours are beautiful as well. Well done Mike and Trish

I think my attempt from 2013 comes close though...https://www.astrobin.com/51495/0/?nc=

Old 12-09-2018, 09:13 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very classy, M&T!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
That is pretty spectacular MnT. As others have said, it isn’t the most intesting of subjects but you’ve done a great job with both resolution and colour along with the large smattering of smaller background galaxies.

Thanks muchly, Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Hands down the nicest image of this galaxy I have seen. Love the background galaxies and colours are beautiful as well. Well done Mike and Trish

I think my attempt from 2013 comes close though...https://www.astrobin.com/51495/0/?nc=

Virtually identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Very classy, M&T!

Thanks, Rick