Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 17-09-2018, 08:37 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Ha ha, all good,

I totally understand, I have many hobbies and they are all wanting all of my time. My latest is working on a way to get 32 hours out of 1 day! Although, I think I will need more than an Arduino for that, lol.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 20-09-2018, 11:54 AM
XType2001 (Tom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja2 View Post
Success! Thanks for the Jaycar clue redbeard, although your warning on cost was all too true ... $29.95 for a USB-RS232 cable ... a bit ridiculous (although I did get a $9 refund when I took the MSY cable back)

Anyway finally I'm connected, now onto the next issue...

Being completely unfamiliar with Autostar Suite I was trying to work out how to test the comms. When I noticed "Downloading, do not turn off" on the Handbox screen. haha, it's probably reinstalling A4S1 over my A3S5, great

I am planning to load A1F7 (based on Andrew's earlier post) but I need some pointers on how to do this. I have Autostar Suite V5.53 installed and started looking in the manual but there's a lot to absorb. Is there a better reference focussed on loading a different firmware into the handbox?

For example one the StarGPS downloads site I see 'BuildAUA1F7.rom recommended' one the right, and a number of related Patches on the left. I'm guessing I download just the .rom file to the Autostar Updater library ... somehow?

Also, is there a simple test string that I can send to the handbox using Telescope > Test Serial in Autostar Suite, to verify good comms in future?

TIA
Hi Ninja2, I'm a newbie and experiencing similar ETX90/ Starpatch downloading issues thru Ser232/USB connection. Did you ever fix completely?
Where would I find the "Older Drivers" (apart from the retirement village at the end of my street!)
Old 20-09-2018, 03:02 PM
ninja2 (Chris)
Chris

Gudday XType2001/Tom,

I've been getting great inputs and guidance from people in the know since starting this thread, so if you read the rest of this thread you'll probably get the answers you need.

Although in the last bunch of posts I'm dealing with hardware issue that may not apply to you. But before that I did have the comms working using the Jaycar cable, albeit briefly

cheers

PS: as an "older driver" I get inspiration from my motto: "the older I get, the faster I was ... "
Old 05-11-2018, 02:03 PM
XType2001 (Tom)

StarPatch Download Problems...Resolved!!

Just to update on my non-functioning cable issue from before..well it is all resolved now due to using the proper Meade RS232/USB adaptor and #505 connector kit.
Last night I was able to update the handbox with the StarPatch
software after weeks of trying with inferior cables bought through Ebay.

Luckily the suppliers gave me refunds, but I found it best to use the proper OEM kit from Meade even though it is more expensive.
I also bought a
SkyWatcher 7Ah power tank as opposed to rigging up a car jump starter, was more comfortable using something specifically for a telescope but more more expensive at $189.

Anyhow its all going well now, just need clear & dark skies!