Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Mounting a guide scope...Help please.

So far without any responses and some further investigation on my part...as limited as that has been...I would like to know what the best guide scope setup would be to use along side an EON 120ED, that beig the primary.

Because I keep reading about FLEX often, when researching the method of mounting the guide scope on top of the primary, I am thinking that the "side by side...SBS" method is best. Can you have the guide scope track the same object as the primary with this method???
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...descopeone.jpg
could anyone comment on the considerations such as weight, balance & all the names of the types of saddles,mounts and all that I would need if wishing to mount such a set-up on an SWEQ6Prosyn-scan mount with an EON120ED as primary.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

I'd actually like to use a SW150X750 Achro alongside the EON120ED, however It I think it weighs less than half the 120ED; would this be a major problem.

Also, could I still use a guide scope that has a short FL than that of the primary as some would indicate that you should match the FL despite the app???

If I was to match the FL then the SW150 F8 Achro would be my other pick, but how would you set the two scopes up?
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...ekyn/6inch.jpg
Would be nice to be able to use such a large rich feild refractor along side the 120ED...Thoughts????

Last edited by Davekyn; 07-09-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:01 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Guiding with your 150 should be np if you have a reasonable mount and guide camera. If you are thinking of doing the guiding manually, then you will need around 1.5x your imaging focal length to start with. The longer (within reaon) the better for manual guiding.

Flexure can be a problem for longer Focal lengths but shouldn't be a major issue with the 120, especially if you use a Focal Reducer and Field Flattener and the imaging scope and a good set of guiderings on your guidescope. I like a SbS mount for the flexibility it gives, plus it keeps the weight closer to the mount, but you will still need some way of pointing your guidescope independently of the imaging scope if your guide camera can't find a star to guide on in the field of view. Longer exposure for you guide camera can help to get around this, or having a wider field of view (consider a Focal Reducer for you guidescope maybe).
Old 08-09-2008, 09:26 PM
leon

With a side by side mount, or a triple side by side, such as i use it is not necessary to have the main scope and guiding scope pointed at the same star, because if you guide with the guiding scope on any star the rest of the setup will follow.

That is my experience anyway.

Leon
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

after MUCH reading on the topic I chose a side by side setup because it kept the center of gravity lower to the RA axis of the mount, and because it was quicker to swap primary scopes if the guide scope was mounted beside it rather than bolted to the top...

From what I've seen, balancing the system isn't all that hard, although you'll need to spend time to make sure its right.. For photography, the mounts balance is fairly crucial...

as Leon mentioned above, you dont have to guide on the exact object that you are imaging..