Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Time to start logging speeds again, if net connectivity is now part of the USO and 25/5 in peak times is the new mandated standard we might have to start making noise again. While our download speeds would probably pass the new "Peak time" 25mbps test rather than the previous NBN "25MBPS at any time in a 24 hour period" we barely top 5mbps upload at any time of day, let alone in peak times.

Yay, back to proving that my home GigE wired network is not the bottleneck when we are getting sub 5meg in one direction. And knowing my luck it will flatline at 5.00001mbps upload so "It passes sir"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...ation/12415512
Old 03-07-2020, 01:03 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

And by Satellite

Just tested my speeds
23.59 down
4.72 up

I pay for 25 and 5 so no complaints
Chris
Old 03-07-2020, 02:25 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am in theory 100/10 (With that well worn "Up to" prefix) but it is more usually like 25-30/5, down from 30/15 that we used to generally get before we involuntarily traded most of our upload for no better download. 25/6.6 as of right now. I say involuntarily as they certainly did not ask me or any other FW user I know if we wanted to trade at least half of our upload for theoretically more download. If they surveyed anyone they must all have been netflix bingers but I can tell you from bitter experience that you only need about 6mbps down for that to work OK.