Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 02-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Alasdair

Yep, I bought it from OzScopes. They seem like a reasonable bunch. I spent a morning a month or so visiting the various astro shops: OzScopes, Bintel, and Optics Central, and OzScopes had by far the pleasantest salespeople and most interesting show-room. I found the Bintel folk, while knowledgable, a bit inclined to brush me off, and the Optics Central crowd seemed disorganized. And OzScopes were happy to knock down their advertised price to meet that from Andrews Comm. I wish they were closer to me, but well, ya canna have everything!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:34 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Of course! I forgot they were based over in Bayswater, always thought of em as online only for some reason.

Best of luck with it.

Have you considered joining the ASV or another local club?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Alasdair

I joined ASV right at the beginning, and put my name down for borrowing their rental scope - which, as it turned out, won't be available until October, such is the interest in it. I haven't managed to get to any of their meetings yet, but I have been enjoying their web page and Crux (both in paper and online).
Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

I did the same last July and was lucky to be able to have a scope on loan during Feb thru May.

I've been to a few gatherings so far and each has been clouded out such is my luck, however managed to stay long enough at one event for the clouds to clear and get a tour of the astrophotography dome which was a real eye opener!

A good intro meeting would be the club section (you can download the asv calendar to your phone for the details), it's a social meet.