Old 12-09-2005, 10:22 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi confined.

Welcome to astronomy, the hobby/interest that will be around as long as we have space up there!

As far as buying now and updating later, that is a great idea. Around December Andrews will have their new 16" Dob available. Buy one and when you are ready to upgrade to GoTo I will buy the 16" off you for about $300. It will be used by then and second hand scopes aren't worth much as the beams from from your eyes wear the mirror out!
Oh, you will also need Nagler eyepieces for that 16", but don't worry, I'll grab those off you to when you sell me the scope. $20 each should cover it.

I think Ving will want your series 500 eyepieces though! Just give them to him

Confined, please ignore all the above dribble and welcome aboard
Old 13-09-2005, 10:25 AM
confined

Thanks for all the advice. Would you suggest that I get a 12" dob for viewing, and then at a later date (maybe several years down the track) grab a smaller scope or something and a decent camera and then think about astrophotography.

One thing i'd really like to know now, is what I should purchase to further my knowledge in astronomy. Are there any magazines you would recommend a subscription to? What binoculars should I buy? (I have Tasco 8x21mm), And should I get anything else, ie. laser pointer, acessories etc etc.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 13-09-2005, 10:51 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you have the funds, hell go for the whole shebang. It depends ultimately on what your long term goals are.

You could get up and running in astrophotography with an Orion 80ED, a film SLR (if you want to punish yourself ) or a digital SLR (Canon, Nikon, pentax etc (canon generally being the prefered DSLR atm) a good quality mount (with maybe a small cheap refractor and webcam for autoguiding or a reticle for manual guiding) and a "T" adapter to conect the camera to the scope. All up around 3 - 3.5 grand. Cheaper if you can pick stuff up second hand. Oh and a few eyepieces for those visual nights.

Or to go the Dob road a 10" or 12" GS for between $700 and $1100 (get them with the crayfor focuser definately) plus another couple of hundred for some good quality eyepieces. Total maybe $1000 - $1500.

It would certainly be nice to have both. With a quick setup dob (maybe on a trolley) you can take advantage of nights with sucker holes, while if your wanting to do imaging, the sucker holes bring on lots of frustration 'cause you want to be out there and you know its just not worth setting up. Mind you the view through and Orion 80ED is certainly nothing to complain about, but it just won't compare to a 10" dob

Your choice
Old 13-09-2005, 02:28 PM
confined

Thanks for that [1ponders], but as I don't have enough money to get started right now, I should concentrate on furthering my knowledge of astronomy.

Could you give me some recommendations on binoculars, resources (magazines, books, websites) and any acessories I should consider/definetly get?

Just want to learn a bit more for now, and I think i'll forget about astrophotography, at least for the moment. Just want to get off my feet in the world of astronomy

Cheers!
Old 13-09-2005, 02:38 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you do a search (at the top of the page) on binoculars you will find HEAPS. There has been a couple of pretty indepth threads over the last month or two. For magazines Australian Sky and Telescope is a great read. There are probably thousands of websites dedicated to astronomy. Apart from my favourite one here I also like http://skyandtelescope.com/ as I can personalise it for my location and get an interactive sky charts for dates, times and locations that I can specify. The first thing you need though if your just starting out is a planisphere or "star wheel" to help you start identifying constellations, stars and some of the brighter deep sky objects.
Old 13-09-2005, 03:49 PM
confined

Thanks again.

I might grab a 1 year subscription tonight, while the 15-20% off deal is still running, and then order a star wheel tomorrow.

I've also made my own thread about binoculars, as I just want to get a bit more specific/relevant information for me. Feel free to stop by

Cheers!
Old 13-09-2005, 04:29 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Stop by I live here
Old 13-09-2005, 07:19 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Confined,

If you are going to save up till the end of the year for a scope and you want as much glass as possible, consider the new 16" dob coming out around Nov-Dec at Andrews.

He has not informed us of any prices yet but the hint from Andrews is that they are very cheap for there size.

Just an option.
Old 13-09-2005, 07:38 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

yes yes the 16" and we can get to look thru it for free!!!!!
Old 13-09-2005, 07:40 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

As do most of us, Paul. L.
ps. Hi 'confined'. Welcome.....
Old 13-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
Confined,

If you are going to save up till the end of the year for a scope and you want as much glass as possible, consider the new 16" dob coming out around Nov-Dec at Andrews.
Too late !
I wish I could buy one just in time for the star camp

Ok its not funny is it ken
Old 13-09-2005, 08:34 PM
confined

I won't be buying anything until December (except A S&T subscription and some binoculars), so 16" Dob could be on the cards.

Thanks for the update. You'll have to fly over here and check it out, for free...
Old 13-09-2005, 08:37 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

No No No, we look through it when you do your drive around Oz to visit all us terrific members!

Geoff, sorry but you've lost me there. What's not funny? The weather or the Andrews story?
Old 13-09-2005, 08:45 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hahaha!

Remember when beginners dreamt of owning a 114mm reflector or a Dork Smith refractor. Then the craze was to start with a GS 6" dob. WOW, then the beginner craze was the GS 8"

Now here we are informing beginners of the new GS16"!!! LOL! What next???

"Hey bud, ya gotta start with the basic 2m Mak Newt in a computer operated 9m dome with infra-red imaging or it just ain't worth taking up this hobby"
Old 13-09-2005, 08:46 PM
confined

Sorry Ken, but I can barely afford a pair of binoculars let alone a 16" dob and a trip around Aus. Let alone a vehicle capable of hauling it

Maybe early next year son, maybe...
Old 13-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballaratdragons
Geoff, sorry but you've lost me there. What's not funny? The weather or the Andrews story?
Ken your getting old mate !
Whats likely to happen if I bought a 16 inch dob just before the star camp ?
Old 13-09-2005, 09:27 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

I am getting slow aren't I.

No Geoff, don't do it!!!!! Pleeeeeeeez! I've placed an order for good weather for all 4 nights! The Bureau of Meterology accepted the cheque, so I hope they deliver.
Old 19-10-2005, 02:12 PM
scubagirl

I'm new and need help

Hi all I'm new and need some help with my first telescope. I have two daughters ages 11 and 8 and want to buy something for xmas that the whole family will enjoy. My uncle is an astronomer in the USA and recommended I buy the Orion StartBlast Astro Telescope. It's portable, a reflector telescope and has a 113mm diameter. It's $169.00USD, but the company doesn't ship overseas, but even if it did with the exchange rate and shipping I'm now looking at over $300.00. So my question is what is a good telescope with a 113mm diameter that's good for beginners?? don't know if my kids will still be interested in the telescope after December 26th. It's all so overwhelming, all the numbers and diameters and ratio's and focal lengths...... I would like to spend about $200.00 if possible. Anyway anyone with suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 19-10-2005, 02:27 PM
atalas

to IIS scubergirl ,I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Which telescope to buy ? on the budget you have (IMHO ) I would go for a set of bino's , $199.00 will buy you a set of 20x 80mm bino's which will be fun and easy to use .
Old 19-10-2005, 02:39 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

welcome scubagirl,

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

Andrews is probabley the cheapest of the good to great suppliers (in my opinion). He is based in sydney along with Bintel https://www.bintelshop.com.au/welcome.htm.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/images/.../70x700az2.jpg
are refracting and basically your cheapest $199, pretty easy to use.
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/images/...nian/gs580.jpg
are called "dob" based units, moderately easy to use $299, but you get to collect more light and see more with it.

Dobs are very popular. The girls will be tall enough to look thru the dob as the eyepiece is near the top.

For your 113mm reflecting
http://www.andrewscom.com.au/images/...ctor/gs280.jpg
$399, but i am guesing the girls may have to stand on something to look thru it.

I would go the 150mm on a dob base for $299 as you can always buy a mount later.

I notice you are from Victoria. There is a Star camp at ballarat with families and all staying there for friday 30th to 2nd nov. It would be well worth the day trip pop in, see all types of telescopes

Yorke are in the city in melbourne, but everyone seems to use the guys in sydney.

You will get great help from the guys and girls on this site.

Welcome