Old 24-01-2013, 09:45 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

NexImage 5 video compression

Does anyone know the best setting to capture video? I am using the 5 MP NexImage and has a very high resolution. I captured a 40sec video tonight of the moon and the file size of the video was 6.5GB (the uncompressed RGB32 is what produced this file)!

Here are the settings I can choose from, I would like one that retains as much quality as it can from the original.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled.jpg)
88.6 KB40 views
Old 22-02-2013, 03:53 PM
anders

Hi Stefan,

6.5GB sounds right for a 40-sec video at hi-res. After you process your vid in Registax or AviStack or AutoStakkert or whatever and end up with a stacked image that you're satisfied with, you can compress your avi video file with a standard file compressor (zip, rar, etc.) and burn it off to a CD or DVD for archiving. Then delete the compressed file from your hard drive to make room for the next video.

You don't want to use a "lossy" codec to compress your video as you're acquiring it. You'll get a smaller file, but at the cost of lost detail in your image. You might try RGB24 rather than RGB32 and compare the results to see if you get a smaller file with no loss of detail.

Hope this helps.

Anders
Old 23-02-2013, 04:28 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
Hi Stefan,

6.5GB sounds right for a 40-sec video at hi-res. After you process your vid in Registax or AviStack or AutoStakkert or whatever and end up with a stacked image that you're satisfied with, you can compress your avi video file with a standard file compressor (zip, rar, etc.) and burn it off to a CD or DVD for archiving. Then delete the compressed file from your hard drive to make room for the next video.

You don't want to use a "lossy" codec to compress your video as you're acquiring it. You'll get a smaller file, but at the cost of lost detail in your image. You might try RGB24 rather than RGB32 and compare the results to see if you get a smaller file with no loss of detail.

Hope this helps.

Anders
Thanks mate!