Old 28-01-2021, 02:22 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Baader HYPERION

Baader HYPERION ...!!

Why are these not so popular with the general Astro ' community

It's seems to me ( IMHO ) that these would be on the '' back shelf '' of any purchase decision.

I don't see much said about them..... or any rave reviews.

Col..

Last edited by FlashDrive; 28-01-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: O1
Old 28-01-2021, 02:48 PM
gregbradley

From what I understand these have been largely updated and upgraded with the Morpheus series.

At the time of their introduction I think they offered an alternative to the higher end and much more expensive Televue offerings. Their performance is quite high for their price is the gist I get from reading reviews.

Trying to find a better eyepiece at their price point may be difficult.

I have 3 Morpheus eyepieces and they are sensational. I would rate them as better than the venerable Naglers. They have very good eye relief and are very comfortable with hardly any blackouts. Contrast, colour and sharpness, lack of flaring and ghosting is high end.

Ergonomics are superior as well. At a price about 25% plus, cheaper than the Nagler equivalent.

But the longest Morpheus focal length is 17.5mm. There is a 24 and a 31 Hyperion.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 28-01-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 28-01-2021, 02:49 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Agree completely!

And the 8-24mm Hyperion Universal Zoom Mark IV is sensational!
Old 28-01-2021, 04:54 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Thanks Greg and Chris ....
Old 28-01-2021, 06:13 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

But the longest Morpheus focal length is 17.5mm. There is a 24 and a 31 Hyperion.

Greg.
There is also a 36mm (both 31 and 36 are aspheric, 70+deg FOV)
When you think about the fine tuning rings available for use with these (except the 24?) and the ability for each to take a T-ring with a small adapter, I reckon theyre great, really flexible.

I have the 5mm (fine tune ring to 3.2), the zoom and the 36. My thoughts when buying them were that they'd be good enough to satisfy me until I'm ready/willing to go after the very best. So far, so good.
Old 28-01-2021, 06:32 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I don’t do that much visual observing nowadays, but I do need to give special mention to the Baader x2.25 Hyperion Barlow.
Besides being ideally matched to the Hyperion Zoom I find it works extremely well as a “normal” Barlow.
The ability to configure it with a T thread connection gives it versatility.
I use it with the ED80 to give close to optimum focal ratio with the ASI 1600 for solar imaging.
All in all a worthy addition to members “box of tricks”
Old 28-01-2021, 07:39 PM
astro744

The general consensus in the online astro community is that the Baader Hyperion 68 degree are not well corrected for faster focal ratios <f8 due to significant curvature of field. Having not used one in any telescope I cannot comment from experience but there are enough reviews to tell me they are not Naglers and I would personally not buy one to use with any of my Newtonian reflectors even my 10.1” f6.4.
Old 28-01-2021, 09:19 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Baader HYPERION ...!!

Why are these not so popular with the general Astro ' community

It's seems to me ( IMHO ) that these would be on the '' back shelf '' of any purchase decision.

I don't see much said about them..... or any rave reviews.

Col..
Col..
Sold about 6 of them here about a yr ago. All good EPs but not below F5 at F 10/12 is where they excell in most scopes.

All work very well the 10mm was as good and Clear at F12 as any other widefield I've had, just dont expect them to work well in F5 Newts without Parracor.

The 5mm was good also and all had good Contrast for 8 Elements and easy to look through with specs; having said that they can be used in an F4 Newt with a parracor which you should use anyhow when judging different EPs in a Newt.
Bigjoe
Old 29-01-2021, 12:29 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

The Baader Hyperion line was designed for refractors, SCTs and Maks.

Focal ratio means nothing if the scope design is not taken into consideration. An f/5 Newt IS NOT the same focal plane shape as an f/5 refractor. One is concave (Newt) and the other convex (fracs (as do SCTs & Maks)). How anyone can say that an f/5 Newt is the same as an f/5 refractor? Somehow it is mostly the visual types that make this mistake. AP types understand that field flatteners and coma correctors must be used, and that the two are not interchangeable between scope types - you cannot use a field flattener in a Newt and you cannot use a coma corrector in a frac. There's a reason for this. Yet this escapes us visual types... It was something I had to learn too.

Eyepieces are first designed with a particular focal plane shape in mind. And for that matter, it is much more difficult to design a whole EP line for Newts than for refractors, and consequently much more expensive to manufacture and buy.

However, contemporary eyepiece designs being what they are, while a particular line may be primarily for say refractors, it does not mean that all individual focal lengths from a given line will perform poorly in Newts. Instead it is often the case that from a given line there may be one, two or three individual focal lengths that may perform blooming well in Newts. Not necessarily "perfectly", but bloody good all the same.

To come up with a whole line that performs really well across both Newts and refractors is quite exceptional! And there will still be some performance difference, small in most instances, even as eye strain, but there is no free lunch here either.

With the Hyperion line, the 5mm is the only individual focal length that performs really well in Newts. Joe mentioned using a coma corrector with it at f/4, but really not necessary, and certainly not with slower Newts.

All the other focal lengths in Newts will show a variety of aberrations, some more obvious than others, and also influenced by f/ratio. Astigmatism on the most part, field curvature as another. It does not mean you can't use say a 24mm Hyperion in a Newt - much of it will come down to personal preference. For some people what aberrations can be seen won't be a problem, for others these will be intolerable. Understand this and it may allow you to purchase a particular individual eyepiece that performs really well in both your Newts as your refractors and not have to shell out the big bucks for another eyepiece. "Cherrypick" if you will.

The Hyperion line has a special place in my heart though. It was with this line that I came to understand how eyepiece design is married to scope design and how they may or may not work, AND how individual focal lengths should not be used to cast judgement across an entire line as being "rubbish". When I bought the Hyperions I did not understand this, and bought them to use in my f/4.5 Newt, only to be disappointed. However, the 5mm was excellent in this same scope! Why? I asked myself. It was a mate, Wavytone, who suggested I try these EPs in a refractor, and PRESTO! They all did a mighty fine job in fracs! As at the time I mainly used Newts I sold all my Hyperions except for the 5mm. These days I use fracs, Newts and Maks. The Hyperions are just fine in fracs, Maks and SCTs (all these three having convex focal planes).

The Morpheus line is a totally different beast. It is a rare line that performs well in all scope types regardless focal plane shape. It is unfair to compare the performance of the Morpheus with that of the Hyperion. Totally different designs created under totally different criteria.

Last edited by mental4astro; 30-01-2021 at 05:09 PM.