Old 19-01-2011, 08:01 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Usage rates for astronomical equipment,

Recently I have a had a few enquiries,on people wanting to attach their cameras on my scope,and for me to set up taking images for them.

The people are not astronomers,but more very advanced amateur photographers.That are well heeled,and have 5d2's.And are prepared to had over money for my knowledge and use of equipment.

The main item they want to take images of is the moon,-I had an image I took of the moon last year that became world renowned.And I have had people seek me out,for various photographic missions.But now some very,very wealthy people are wanting to pay.

What usage rates do the semi pro's here or others charge for use of scope and kit and their knowledge??

This is not something I ever planned,But after spending many thousands on my kit and a purpose built observatory,and have some knowledge on how to use it.It appears there is an economic return for it and my skills.

Having recently lost all of my income due to floods,may be its worth a closer look at seeing how I can earn a small return on astronomy.So thought I;d see if anyone here has any thoughts or advice.

Thanks Chris
Old 20-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Yoddha

Hi Chris,

Maybe you can check the rates of the robotic telescopes the see what is the order?
Old 20-01-2011, 07:54 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Do you have an accountant. I would talk to them, or in WA there is the Small Business Development Commision, i occasionally contact them as they have an advise line. They may not be able to give you a direct answer but at least the best infomration.
Old 20-01-2011, 09:53 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Maybe allow the first couple of people to do it for free, but afterwards ask them how much they think it was worth or what they would have paid for the experience and what they got out of it? That way you get some "clients" under your belt, get some references maybe, and some feedback.
Old 20-01-2011, 10:14 AM
TrevorW

Mechanics $88 a hour
Electricians $100 a hour
Plumbers (god only knows)
Dentists (to bloody much)
Lawyers (no wonder they are called sharks)

you work it out I'd be looking for at least $100/hr
Old 20-01-2011, 04:07 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/
Old 20-01-2011, 04:28 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

chris i would look up GRAS -though they have a remote dk observatory which you can dial in to.. i would probably charge about 75% of there price if it was me
Old 20-01-2011, 07:51 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
chris i would look up GRAS -though they have a remote dk observatory which you can dial in to.. i would probably charge about 75% of there price if it was me
You would have to factor in if there is an human interaction to get the results that they want. With the GRAS setup it is all robotic so you are not engaging someone's time.