Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 26-01-2021, 09:22 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
The device from TS turned up yesterday (https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...hp/info/p11188) and I've just had a go at using it. Very easy to use once I got it installed. Something to keep in mind - it's not threaded, so you have to put it into a 2" holder - and it's a very tight fit. That's useful because it's not going to move once inserted. In fact, I'm leaving it inside the holder "forever", since I can't remember the last time I used it for anything else.

After I made the adjustments, I put the tak scope on, and it seems to agree with the TS collimator. Proof will be in the star images, which I am hoping to try tonight.
Chris, did your device come with any kind of instructions? I'm wondering what the "R" and "W" stand for on the 2 switches.
Old 26-01-2021, 09:28 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Alas, after an afternoon and early evening of nearly clear skies, night brought almost complete cloud cover. Can't report any results.
Old 26-01-2021, 09:30 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Chris, did your device come with any kind of instructions? I'm wondering what the "R" and "W" stand for on the 2 switches.
Red and White "light".

No instructions. The page has details for use: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...hp/info/p11188.

I found using the Red light as per instructions for the secondary worked well. And using the White light helped with the primary. The white light is actually 4 pinpoint leds.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:17 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Managed to get a bit of time on the scope tonight to check my results. It looked very good to me, but I'll check the images a bit closer tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:22 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I’ve had several sessions with this TSRCKOLLI and have mixed feelings about it.

1. I can’t fully insert it into my 2” Moonlite focusers.
2. I can’t clearly identify the primary mirror shadow.

But I am happy to report a cheap and simple daylight method that looks a lot better.

An article in the British Astro Org web site entitled Kitchen table collimation ....” http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/p...BAA..125..281S
looks to me to be even more accurate than the artificial star technique. I plan to try it this weekend.

Peter
Old 06-02-2021, 07:26 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Just FYI, that's exactly the same details as the link Glen posted early on in this thread.

I understand the difficulty and I wonder why there was no threaded option? I know it's plastic and it's good to have a tight fit to ensure no slippage, etc, but really it was a bit excessive. Also, even without threading the "technology" to lock in place for these holders is well known, so again a bit strange.

If you can get past the above, I think it works well enough.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:55 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I’ve had several sessions with this TSRCKOLLI and have mixed feelings about it.

1. I can’t fully insert it into my 2” Moonlite focusers.
2. I can’t clearly identify the primary mirror shadow.

But I am happy to report a cheap and simple daylight method that looks a lot better.

An article in the British Astro Org web site entitled Kitchen table collimation ....” http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/p...BAA..125..281S
looks to me to be even more accurate than the artificial star technique. I plan to try it this weekend.

Peter
Yes, as posted before the DIY illuminated collimation target gave me great results in tuning my Classical Cassegrain. I did not have to buy anything to build it. I used a bicycle LED headlight module (removed the mounting strap), a cardboard box, and a printed target. Just mount the target on the box, place a 1mm hole in the centre of the target, and duct tape the LED light to the insude of the box (facing outward of course).
Using it is very simple, just set everything up on a kitchen table, with the scope pointing at the targrt make sure it is square on. Slide the scope forward or backward to get the distance right, you want the rings to line up with your tube, and you may have to raise or lower the box to achieve this. Now turn on the LED, and you will see a white donut reflected onto the target, this is the reflection off the primary mirror. You can slide the scope backward or forward to get the donut as small as possible. Now do your primary adjustment to centre the donut around the LED source on the target.
Your primary mirror is now perfectly optically aligned on-axis with the scope.
Secondary alignment still needs to be checked too, but unless severely tilted(creating a slight shadow) it will not affect the primary setup, as you have setup the primary already.
Of course follow this up with a star test, for final tweaking if required, but don't touch the primary again.

I only bought the TSRCRolli after my kitchen bench primary setup.

Good luck.

Last edited by glend; 06-02-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:03 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

An advantage of the TS unit (and tak scope) is that I didn't have to take the scope off the mount.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:11 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
An advantage of the TS unit (and tak scope) is that I didn't have to take the scope off the mount.
True that, and I appreciate that the RC10 is not easy to move around. If you have an observatory it would be possible mount the light box target on a wall., just as you might do for a Flat target.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:17 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Well, (and with acknowledgement and thanks to Glen), I gave this a try today. All I need is a few stars!

Peter