Old 11-08-2020, 10:47 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Heaters drain batteries

Not really a question - more of a comment. Last night I used 2 dew control heat straps plugged into my 12V battery. Had them plugged for a couple of hours while I was mucking around with the scope. Tried to slew to a target and noticed that the mount was struggling and it sounded like it was skipping gears. Investigated and realised the battery was almost completely flat Had no idea how quickly dew control drains the battery! Will be better prepared next time though
Old 11-08-2020, 10:53 AM
Stefan Buda

You probably used dew straps that are not meant to be driven at full power.
A controller usually chops the DC voltage to the required duty cycle, reducing the power and therefore giving you more battery time.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Buda View Post
You probably used dew straps that are not meant to be driven at full power.
A controller usually chops the DC voltage to the required duty cycle, reducing the power and therefore giving you more battery time.

I used Kendrick controller and straps, running at 50%
Old 11-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Stefan Buda

In that case you need a bigger battery. My CDK250 uses less than 1000mA when both primary and secondary heaters are on. People tend to use more heat than necessary.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:33 AM
Granada
The truth is out there

Next time I'll just plug the battery into a power point and keep it charging while it's operating therefore giving me uninterrupted power
Old 11-08-2020, 12:10 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

There is no need to use heat to keep optics free from dew.

Heat actually complicates things. Not only does it kill batteries quickly, but it adds interference from infrared and introduces thermal issues to optics and mechanics.

Professional observatories do not use heat to keep optics dry from dew or frost. But for some reason we just do not look at how The Big Boys do things and why.

Heat does have a place, but its application is far less extensive than it is used. Red dot finders and eyepieces* can benefit from heating.

I have started two threads and written an article on using fans instead of heat with telescopes:

* SCT & Mak total dew control without heat - a solution!

* Refractor dew control WITHOUT heat - it is possible!

* Cooling of Newtonian Optics

The article "cooling of Newtonian optics" discusses the added benefit of dew control that comes from how to cool Newt. optics in a way that does not induce strain in the optics. The pic below of my 8" solid tube OTA shows how the mirror cell is all closed, with only a hole in it with the fan positioned so it draw air out from the scope, NOT blow onto the primary mirror.

Battery power is expensive and very bulky. Fans however use a fraction of power that heating does, and does not introduce the thermal problems that heat does. And by using a PWM unit, the fan's revs can also be regulated so even less power is consumed.

My home in Sydney is Dew Central at night. I do not experience my optics fog up with the way I have implemented these fans, even when EVERYTHING around me is soaking wet with heavy dew. And not one joule of heat being used. And when I go bush, I do not need to worry about having enough power to keep the optics dry because of excessive power consumption.

Alex.

* Using heating straps with eyepieces needs careful consideration. You should not be using the strap to introduce heat into the eyepiece - think about how an EP is built (a metal tube surrounding glass), that is set into a metal focuser, and very often that is fitted to a metal tube. The vast majority of the heat generated by the strap will be disipated into the metal, and the glass will warm up bugger all. Instead, look to keep your eyepieces in a heated case, this way when you put the warm EP into the scope, the heating strap will only be feeding a trickle of heat to keep the heat inside the glass, rather than trying to push crap uphill to force heat into a poor thermal situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SCT & Mak dew control (1).jpg)
182.2 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (20200409_111245_resized_1.jpg)
180.7 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Refractor dew control (3).jpg)
164.4 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (Solid Tube Newt Fan (1).jpg)
123.3 KB32 views
Old 11-08-2020, 03:22 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
There is no need to use heat to keep optics free from dew.

Heat actually complicates things. Not only does it kill batteries quickly, but it adds interference from infrared and introduces thermal issues to optics and mechanics.

Professional observatories do not use heat to keep optics dry from dew or frost. But for some reason we just do not look at how The Big Boys do things and why.

Heat does have a place, but its application is far less extensive than it is used. Red dot finders and eyepieces* can benefit from heating.

I have started two threads and written an article on using fans instead of heat with telescopes:

* SCT & Mak total dew control without heat - a solution!

* Refractor dew control WITHOUT heat - it is possible!

* Cooling of Newtonian Optics

The article "cooling of Newtonian optics" discusses the added benefit of dew control that comes from how to cool Newt. optics in a way that does not induce strain in the optics. The pic below of my 8" solid tube OTA shows how the mirror cell is all closed, with only a hole in it with the fan positioned so it draw air out from the scope, NOT blow onto the primary mirror.

Battery power is expensive and very bulky. Fans however use a fraction of power that heating does, and does not introduce the thermal problems that heat does. And by using a PWM unit, the fan's revs can also be regulated so even less power is consumed.

My home in Sydney is Dew Central at night. I do not experience my optics fog up with the way I have implemented these fans, even when EVERYTHING around me is soaking wet with heavy dew. And not one joule of heat being used. And when I go bush, I do not need to worry about having enough power to keep the optics dry because of excessive power consumption.

Alex.

* Using heating straps with eyepieces needs careful consideration. You should not be using the strap to introduce heat into the eyepiece - think about how an EP is built (a metal tube surrounding glass), that is set into a metal focuser, and very often that is fitted to a metal tube. The vast majority of the heat generated by the strap will be disipated into the metal, and the glass will warm up bugger all. Instead, look to keep your eyepieces in a heated case, this way when you put the warm EP into the scope, the heating strap will only be feeding a trickle of heat to keep the heat inside the glass, rather than trying to push crap uphill to force heat into a poor thermal situation.
Thank-you very much for this, will give it some reading...
Old 11-08-2020, 07:58 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post
Next time I'll just plug the battery into a power point and keep it charging while it's operating therefore giving me uninterrupted power
Hi Grenada,

My humble advice is DONT do this. Your battery charger is likely a low amp output. If you have it plugged in while everything is running, the you’ll draw too much current through your charger and cook it. Just like if you have 2 batteries in parallel, they share the load. You’ll be asking your charger so share the current with your battery and it is likely it wont be up to it.