Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 AM
ian (Ian)

IIS Flickr group or similiar?

just wondering if there is an IIS group on Flickr or some similar site where members can upload their photos for others to view and comment on?

Flickr is free to upload 300MB per month, with a small fee for the 'pro' upgrade - but requires a yahoo, google or facebook account to join, all of which are also free.

if there is no such group, should one be created? might be a better option than uploading to the forums both for members and the photographers ... just a thought
Old 10-04-2011, 08:13 AM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Hi Ian,
I like the idea and support it!
Positive= larger res pics
Negative= navigating away from IIS
I know 'we' do the above already in some instances, but it would be good to have a 'central depository' for our achievements.
And possibly a thread dedicated to the link?

Great idea!
Bartman
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Viewing any photography on a bright white background is fail.

H
Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

All seems fine the way it is.

By getting people to post in Flicker would be like sending viewers elsewhere.
It is an idea that has already been done and tested. There is another Astro Forum that asks people to post their images elsewhere, but comment in the threads. Very confusing and I gave up looking.

We already have several gallery type sections in here. Each has its own section (Planetary, DSO), and its nice to read the comments and tips about a particular photo in the same thread as the photo.

You'll also find that many people do already post in Flicker and PhotoBucket etc already and will still prefer to post in their own account.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I seem to remember that their are good reasons for not using other storage such as Flickr, I did a quick search and found these wise words from our leader.

Quote:
Embedding images within a post by linking to an external source?

We don't allow that because:
1) It can break the layout of the forum when the images are large
2) It's sucking someone else's bandwidth that they may not know about
3) It can slow down page load times especially if the images are large or the connection to their server is slow
Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Phil that's not what they mean - they mean a flickr group where people hang out and comment on each others pics.

I agree with Ken, people already link to their off-site images if they want to.

I'm not keen on having an official or unofficial IIS group on another photo-hosting account, obviously because it directs traffic and comments away from IIS.

We will be having gallery type features for members here on IIS - it's coming in the near-medium future.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Sounds good, Mike.

If I may offer a suggestion? When it comes time for the design of the galleries, can we please, please, please have a neutral grey background, or preferably, a black background?

Viewing /any/ type of image on anything other than neutral grey/black, destroys any shadow detail that may have been present in the image in the first place. The difference is chalk and cheese.

A lot of us, especially landscape photographers, try so hard to preserve and maintain shadow detail in our images; the majority of photography display sites/forums out there, then let the photographer down by using garish colour schemes which just burn the retinas with white.

Cheers.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Phil that's not what they mean - they mean a flickr group where people hang out and comment on each others pics.

I agree with Ken, people already link to their off-site images if they want to.

I'm not keen on having an official or unofficial IIS group on another photo-hosting account, obviously because it directs traffic and comments away from IIS.

We will be having gallery type features for members here on IIS - it's coming in the near-medium future.

Last edited by Octane; 10-04-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: s/different/difference/
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM
acropolite (Phil)

FWIW I rarely click on links off site, not so much with this forum, but at AP forum there are often to other sites that dont work for one reason or another (server down, account problems missing files etc).