Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 24-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Hemi

Sourcing methods for used gear

Hello all, I hope the cold isn’t too bad for our south easterly members.

I was wondering where in the world people sourced there used gear, and any tips on shipping used gear from overseas?

Our very own classifieds is excellent, but the small community means not a huge amount of stuff comes up. Astro buy sell is also just the same adverts as on here.

I wonder if people venture to overseas sites for used gear, and what sort of items would (have!) you been bold enough to purchase and ship? Cloudy has a massive classified section, and the volume means prices are pretty keen.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 24-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Wavytone

CN and Astromart.

Then there’s tracking down examples of a specific scope you are after and getting in touch with the owner... that’s how I acquired the MK91 and one other rare big mak, and likewise Mental tracked down some others that weren’t openly advertised.

.. though beware of the predatory behaviour of US freight companies who do not honour quotations - ie the price quoted is neither firm nor fixed - and instead charge whatever they feel like - after the item was shipped. On anything larger than a C6 shipping could cost more than the item is worth.
Old 25-06-2019, 01:51 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

With the current state of the A$ vs US$, buying from overseas can be quite costly (and don't forget the added GST and freight costs). Buying local can be the most cost-effective even if it can be harder to find what you want.

Peter
Old 25-06-2019, 02:58 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Me I used well known astro shops on occasion but most is Ebay

I always cover myself (also I am a personal seller NOT a business with 100% A1 feedback on 1,500 sales)

1. Is the item you are selling (name it and give ebay number) in good working order

2. Are there any faults with the item

If they fail to reply I stay away

If the item arrives other than described I am fully covered for a refund.

I also buy items occasionally from the US and have from China ALWAYS making sure the full costs/charges are listed and understood.

I bought one item from the us $14 ALL tax/shipping included, I had a letter from Customs to pay $14 import, contacted Ebay and they made the company pay the $14
Old 25-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Hemi

Good tips Jeremy, I don’t think I’m good at searching on eBay. I never seem to find items at any lower cost than regular online shops. In fact mostly, the price is higher on eBay.

H
Old 25-06-2019, 08:56 AM
dikman (Richard)

A bit of advice if using ebay/PayPal to buy things. If you have problems and are seeking a refund stay with ebay do NOT use PayPal's refund process as they will require you to return the goods first, at your expense - and the return address may not necessarily be where you bought it from!

PayPal claim that they are exempt from Australian Consumer Law.
Old 25-06-2019, 11:38 AM
beren

I have used Astromart for many years now and I like it very much, in all the transactions I have had with mostly American citizens brought items have been faithfully and honestly described with polite/friendly communication and well packed. Unfortunately have noticed a growing trend though of US sellers declining international sales citing customs paperwork/freight cost and pressure to under declare item cost from the buyer. To work out a deal with a international selleryou really have to research if the price after currency exchange is worth it, freight/shipping/insurance options and make a judgement call on the buyers integrity. With Astromart you have the feedback system and generally a persons full name/general location and their history of buying and selling. With that and social media, Astrobin, forums etc it doesn't take much effort to get some history on a high cost item like a CCD camera, mount or scope. I hate haggling and I don't expect bargain basement prices but will pursue something if I think its priced fairly for both parties and use all those resources to find out any background information on a item. When I communicate with a seller I don't disclose that I know any history of the item but like to ask questions to reveal if the seller is truthful.....be aware like much in life when it comes to business no one is your friend, research is key to be safe from scammers, profiteers {yep our noble pastime has this, pick up a bargain and sell it off elsewhere} and other scumbags.
Old 25-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Wilso

I also use EBay as another source including the auctions which you can still get some bargains. Have won a couple this year. Fun also!
Have also kicked myself for not bidding on some items because they ended up going very cheaply. You just have to calculate the paso rate and gst on your bid.
Don’t forget as the others have said, to ask as many questions to the supplier as you want, if they don’t respond- don’t bid.
Also have a look at the suppliers other items too, there might be something you interested in as well!

Happy hunting
Old 25-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
A bit of advice if using ebay/PayPal to buy things. If you have problems and are seeking a refund stay with ebay do NOT use PayPal's refund process as they will require you to return the goods first, at your expense - and the return address may not necessarily be where you bought it from!

PayPal claim that they are exempt from Australian Consumer Law.
completely different in the UK, consumer rights act covers full and free returns on all faulty goods
Old 26-06-2019, 05:11 PM
dikman (Richard)

The laws may not be all that different as those same protections are provided here by law. The problem is (here) that PayPal maintain they are a financial provider and therefore are exempt from Australia Consumer Law. I'm still uncertain about this claim, whereas ebay is bound by those laws. My problem was that ebay suggested I make my claim via PayPal and once that happened they said they could no longer help me and I had to use PayPal! In order to obtain a refund PayPal required me to first return the goods, a mini metal lathe that I bought here in Australia but the return address I was given was in the UK!!!!!
The ACL states it is the responsibility of the seller to recover the goods and this is where they stated that they were exempt from the ACL. After three months of fighting I lodged a complaint with the Australian Financial Transactions Authority (which regulates financial companies) and asked if PayPal could require me to forego my legal rights. Funnily enough within a couple of days I had a message from PayPal offering me a refund!

My apologies for the long post but I wanted to clarify to Australian readers that they do have strong legal rights but be very wary of PayPal.