Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-06-2019, 07:16 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Canon 50D comes to end of Life.

Hello All.

Curious if any camera users here have ever gone to use their camera and found it does not turn on,I took my Canon 50D out of the bag and the display details were on but could not make adjustment,I turned it off and it never came on ever again,put fresh batteries and so on in it, but no go

Wondering if its fixable or just come to end of life- it close to ten year old.

Any thoughts would be good,so long since I been in camera circles so any pointers be handy. Unsure what the current similar body is these days to replace-all the L series lenses in good order. Thanks
Old 19-06-2019, 07:31 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

https://photography-on-the.net/forum....php?t=1002386

google 50d won't turn on
Old 19-06-2019, 07:48 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post

Ok thanks- hopefully its just a fuse, I do have an external power supply (used when astro imaging) and it did not work with it either.

Any other thoughts or suggestions or ideas of where to take it to for repairs.

cheers
Old 20-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur View Post
Hello All.

Curious if any camera users here have ever gone to use their camera and found it does not turn on,I took my Canon 50D out of the bag and the display details were on but could not make adjustment,I turned it off and it never came on ever again,put fresh batteries and so on in it, but no go

Wondering if its fixable or just come to end of life- it close to ten year old.

Any thoughts would be good,so long since I been in camera circles so any pointers be handy. Unsure what the current similar body is these days to replace-all the L series lenses in good order. Thanks
I had a similar issue with my 60D. The solution was to remove the lens, card and battery. Then hold down shutter button for 30 secs. Install in this order, battery, lens then card. It works for me every time it dies. Although now I mostly use mt 5D4. As someone mentioned try googling it. Other than that, are the batteries okay, try another battery.

Cheers Peter
Old 20-06-2019, 08:10 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
I had a similar issue with my 60D. The solution was to remove the lens, card and battery. Then hold down shutter button for 30 secs. Install in this order, battery, lens then card. It works for me every time it dies. Although now I mostly use mt 5D4. As someone mentioned try googling it. Other than that, are the batteries okay, try another battery.

Cheers Peter
Thanks Peter, tried that but no go. I spoke with a tech repair chap in Brisbane that is very good on camera gear,and he did not muck around and said it sounds serious-main board issue or similar and it could be $300 to $500 he said it unusual to happen to a 50D, so sadly looks like its a parts body now.

Now looking to replace it with an 80D anyone got these 80D's seems like it could be a learning curve.