Old 14-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Paul Haese

STXL integrated guider setup questions

I have setup the guide prism so it is just outside of the field of view of the main sensor.

I am using maximDL. I had to use the dual chip function to get the guide camera to connect. In SkyX I am using the internal guide chip setting.

I get an image downloaded but nothing at all on the sensor. It could be possible that the unit is so out of focus that I am not getting anything at all.

Anyone got any tips here? I got the black image even when I was using the flat panel. What am I doing wrong?
Old 14-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Only the STX and legacy cameras have internal guide Chips. Select external and problem should be solved.

Also just make sure he HDMI cable is well seated.
Old 14-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Only the STX and legacy cameras have internal guide Chips. Select external and problem should be solved.

Also just make sure he HDMI cable is well seated.
Thanks Pete, I have the HDMI well seated. Actually looked closely at that the other day.

IN maxim I can choose external but it only gives a choice of STXL11002 as the camera. There is also parallel, and Ethernet. If I use the STXL with external it does not connect in the camera 2 option.

In SkyX external is not available at all. There is STT camera, STXL, celestron pixcel, STL camer, STi but no external.

Suggestions?
Old 14-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Thanks Pete, I have the HDMI well seated. Actually looked closely at that the other day.

IN maxim I can choose external but it only gives a choice of STXL11002 as the camera. There is also parallel, and Ethernet. If I use the STXL with external it does not connect in the camera 2 option.

In SkyX external is not available at all. There is STT camera, STXL, celestron pixcel, STL camer, STi but no external.

Suggestions?
I think you still select same guider as camera, but there should be an option to select an external guide chip, as you would a remote guide head.

Sorry I'm out of town at present & don't know the correct options off the top of my head. Ill have a definitive answer by the weekend.

In the interim I'd check the guider in CCDops to make sure there are no hardware issues. ( plus check the drivers are up to date, make sure you have the latest SkyX daily build etc. )
Old 14-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Paul Haese

I have the same daily build, so that is good.

Which guider do I select? If I choose dual chip in maxim it shows that it is reading the ccd and downloads the image.

In the camera two options there is only the options that I listed. I did set external but still no connection.

I don't have CCDops loaded down at the observatory. If I don't get it sorted before the weekend I will look forward to your response.
Old 14-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Paul Haese

Just hunting around a bit after I contacted Steve Crouch, who is looking for me at his settings.

I found in Maxim I select dual chip and in the main camera I selected guide chip as external and it seems to produce the right looking frame. Noise and all.

In Sky X I cannot find any similar setting.
Old 14-01-2014, 11:22 PM
rat156

Hi Paul,

Using my lowly STT, I use this screen to setup the auto guider in the CFW-8G.

Cheers
Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TSX STT Guider.jpg)
187.1 KB41 views
Old 20-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Had to do a little research to get to the bottom of this.

Select STX as the camera model and the auto guider "imagers built in auto guider " on the SBIG drop down menu within SkyX

On the auto guider tab, click on camera setup and then open up the drop down " settings". Select external auto guider.

That said, I've found SkyX prone to crashing. Would recommend CCDops, which you can't kill with a big stick, or MaximCCD.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 20-01-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 20-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

BTW....my Telstra cable connection has apparently been down since last Friday,
with the 3G phone network being my only connection to the net.... Tech support from someone in the Punjab region proved useless. Seems it will be down until at least Tuesday
Old 20-01-2014, 04:29 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Had to do a little research to get to the bottom of this.

Select STX as the camera model and the auto guider "imagers built in auto guider " on the SBIG drop down menu within SkyX

On the auto guider tab, click on camera setup and then open up the drop down " settings". Select external auto guider.

That said, I've found SkyX prone to crashing. Would recommend CCDops, which you can't kill with a big stick, or MaximCCD.

I don't think Sky X is picking on SBIG there. If I try to connect my SX camera in Sky X it freezes when I ask it to take an image. In my case probably a driver issue.

Greg.
Old 20-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks Pete, in the long run I will be using CCDAP to run maxim and Maxim I have got working now. Recently SkyX crashed on me endlessly because the Tpoint model got corrupted. Not sure how that happened but I now see that SkyX still is very buggy and not as stable as it could be. The daily builds don't seem to address these issues much, but I guess in time they will get it right.
Old 20-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I have setup the guide prism so it is just outside of the field of view of the main sensor.

I am using maximDL. I had to use the dual chip function to get the guide camera to connect. In SkyX I am using the internal guide chip setting.

I get an image downloaded but nothing at all on the sensor. It could be possible that the unit is so out of focus that I am not getting anything at all.

Anyone got any tips here? I got the black image even when I was using the flat panel. What am I doing wrong?
One little tip. If you overexposed the guide cam enough, ittl actually produce a black image. If your testing with torches panels etc, use very short exposures
Old 20-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
One little tip. If you overexposed the guide cam enough, ittl actually produce a black image. If your testing with torches panels etc, use very short exposures
I have found this too, confused me for a while till I looked at the pixel values and then the screen stretch window. Then it all came to me!
Old 20-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Yep good tip, sort of made sense once I thought about this a bit. I was trying to see noise during the day and exposing for too long.