Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Advice on DSLR software please.

I am just trying to get my head around all the available software applications for DSLR control.

Is there such a program which will enable you to (a) provide live view, and (b) automatically program the exposure lengths, ISO's, etc. - basically allowing the lappy to control the DSLR. Will Backyard EOS do all this for me?

Regards,
Stephen
Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
cventer

The following will do what you want:

Best Free one: APT, get it here http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

Nebulosity by Craig Stark
Images Plus by Mike Unsold

There are others but these are most used.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Yes there is some good software out there for Canon DSLRs that will do all that and much more (depending upon you have a camera with... live view & USB connection and DIGIC III processor and up).

BackyardEOS and my favorite APT. The list of what they can automate for users is impressive.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear a lot of cheap options like above for non Canon cameras.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Thanks guys, appreciate the links I have a Canon 450D, so live view is no problems. I want a program that will, for example, allow me to program in 50-60 15 sec subs and I can then sit back in my banana lounge and watch the night sky roll over me, while the camera and lappy are doing all the work!

Correct me if I am wrong, but BarkyardEOS is a one-time payment for 12 months support (if you need it) but the program will not expire after that time?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

EOS Utility comes with your camera and does everything except programming variable exposure sets. That is, you program one set, capture it, then manually do the next, and so on.

It is free, however.

H
Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I also use APT which provides all that you need. There is a free version that you can use to get a feel for it, although well worth paying the fee to get the more advanced features.

Ivo's on holidays at the moment so I am not sure how he will go at producing a licence for a paid version bu the free version was useful for me for about 6 months before I decided to pay the extra.

I too have a 450D and you can get a feel for the images even on my cranky gear.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Backyard EOS hands down the best. Go to thier site and download the beta version as it has a license file included. The beta version is not an official release as yet and may be a bit buggy but it has a lot of very cool features that the current release does not.

Put simply it rocks!

P.s I have no affiliation with the Backyard EOS developers, just a fan of their software.

Sandy
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
stephenb (Stephen)

Thanks all, I've downloaded APT and BackyardEOS trials and hope to try them out this weekend.

Now to upgrade the laptop. I've been looking at a netbook. Do you think any ol' netbook will run either of these programs?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I use APT on a netbook OK.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

I use APT on a netbook along with all other astro programs: Gemini ASCOM; PHD; image viewer etc.

You don't need great processing power to run a telescope rig and taking images.

You do need a lot of processing power if you plan to manipulate images on the PC.

I suggest a netbook for telescope work that has a long battery life and a 1366 x 768 native resolution (looks better on the eyes) minimum. Although I use a 11" screen ACER I find it a tad small so a 13" would be better. though this will cost more and have less battery life! The only good thing about my Acer netbook is the screen resolution (Size) and 6 cell battery (long battery life) 5+hrs.

I do not recommend ACER brand though!..don't get me started on that!

Oh and plenty of USB ports as well...