Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Caveat emptor is a Latin term that means "let the buyer beware."

Did you know that when you make a BID on Ebay you are contractually obligated to buy the item.

Now.......... no one really holds anyone to the law, like many I have had people who have changed their mind, "I have", just contact the seller and say, no big deal, most sellers, 99.9999999% are fine, but don't deliberately TROLL or abuse people.

As you may know my son has PTSD, Aspergers and more and was selling an item on Ebay to raise some money to buy something he has always wanted.

A person bid, I turned down the first bid, he then bid twice more as you can in "make an offer" It was for the full amount. I sent the invoice and then he replied to my son

"New offer received: £120.00 for Fallout 76 Power Arm... (264556343215)"

Then...... He did it for a laugh

"I wouldn't bother I'm not paying that ridiculous price for just some plastic why do you think you have relisted it so many times and no one wants it"

Big mistake where my son is concerned.

Three weeks later he has admitted it after taking him at NO cost to me to the county Court for £80.00 compensation for breach of contract, also he does NOT get the item, he now has to pay.

The lesson here is "Caveat emptor is a Latin term that means "let the buyer beware."" in MORE ways than one.
Old 17-02-2020, 11:13 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Sweet.

I've had excellent results from the UK Small Claims Court in the past - I even sucessfully demanded a rather large interest payment when somebody went rougue on me. It's Something that were sadly missing in Aus!
Old 17-02-2020, 11:46 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
Sweet.

I've had excellent results from the UK Small Claims Court in the past - I even sucessfully demanded a rather large interest payment when somebody went rougue on me. It's Something that were sadly missing in Aus!
Good for you