Old 05-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Martin Pugh

Adding filters

Hi.

It is generally accepted that a 3mm thick filter adds 1mm to your overall backfocus (refractive index of glass). A 2mm thick filter adds 0.6mm.

If said filter (UV/IR block) causes internal reflections, and you choose to remove that, and place a UV/IR block filter on the front of your lens instead, am I right in thinking that this does not impact your backfocus or if it does, and since those kind of filters are very thin, the impact is minimal to negligible.

cheers
Martin
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Hi.

It is generally accepted that a 3mm thick filter adds 1mm to your overall backfocus (refractive index of glass). A 2mm thick filter adds 0.6mm.

If said filter (UV/IR block) causes internal reflections, and you choose to remove that, and place a UV/IR block filter on the front of your lens instead, am I right in thinking that this does not impact your backfocus or if it does, and since those kind of filters are very thin, the impact is minimal to negligible.

cheers
Martin
Hi Martin,

I think you are right to think that FRONT mounted filters (before the converging optics) will not change the focal plane distance from the back of your telescope/lens (Backfocus), since the front mounted filter will be dealing with parallel ray bundles (night sky at infinity focus) which since they are parallel rays will all be refracted equally by the FRONT/external filter; however: if that same filter is placed anywhere within or after the converging optics, where the light ray bundle is not parallel (where it is converging) then the light rays will all be refracted by varying degrees by the filter, due to their differing angles of incidence and path length through the glass. And also, of course, the thicker the filter (and the greater its refractive index), the greater the effect on focal plane change.

I THINK

It'd be better with a diagram, but ....

Best
JA
Old 05-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I think JA is spot on, that’s been my understanding as well.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 PM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Hi,

See here for a diagram and some math to go with it:
https://www.faintgalaxy.com/focusshift.html

Yes changing the thickness in the collimated section does nothing, changing the thickness (or glass type) in the converging section causes the shift.

Best,
EB
Old 06-02-2020, 09:59 AM
Martin Pugh

Yes, thought as much. Needed confirmation.

thanks for the replies
Martin