Old 20-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugnsuz View Post
True, but the savvy buyer around these parts can pick up a very well cared for 40D body for $750
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=59259
I feel all savvy now Doug LOL!

Good to have both a 40D and QHY-9 now. Should make colour/Ha merges easier with similar resolution chips.
Old 20-04-2010, 09:07 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
i bought my 40d for $650 2nd hand - took 5 photos and then shipped it the same day to CentralDS. Live view focusing and using the canon lenses is the winner for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
I feel all savvy now Doug LOL!

Good to have both a 40D and QHY-9 now. Should make colour/Ha merges easier with similar resolution chips.
I rest my proverbial!!
Thankyou Messrs Hough and "aroo"

I've got no arguments re the superior resolution and noise handling skills of CCDs in the price bracket of the QHY9. I still think the transition from DSLR to CCD looks a frustrating one. I've been searching online for various CCD to EOS adapters - so far I've only found pretty expensive ones on the Hutech site ($150US+). All these little hidden extras really mount up.
Going round in circles with all this - keep coming back to Phil's comparison and think the Central DS route looks to be the least painful for the type of images I like to produce.
Old 20-04-2010, 09:25 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
True, but the savvy buyer around these parts can pick up a very well cared for 40D body for $750
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=59259
Probably cheaper on ebay.
http://cameras.shop.ebay.com.au/Digi...=p3286.c0.m282
Now I'm aware that's not new for new comparisons, but if I was doing it from scratch today that's the route I would go - so it would be a $1000 difference that would need to be justified

But, for me today the price of my 40D isn't in the equation - it's bought, done and dusted...in the past!!
Realistically, I would have to sell my 40D + accessories/filters and come up with another $2K to buy a QHY9 (minus NB filters and adapters and gawd knows what else!!!)
...or come up with approx $1K for the cooling mod!
I am not trying to start a argument here....really.... and Doug I do understand the situation you are in but I think if we are going to compare the cost of a fully modded DSLR Vs a brand new QHY9 then both should be valued at new price. I could just as easily say I have a QHY9 all paid for etc...what do I need to get it image ready....hmmm a starlight xpress 2" FW ($560) and a set of Astronomik type II filters ($530) so it will cost about $1100 to go....bit misleading me thinks as I have already paid 2K for the camera. The good news is with the influx of "more affordable" CCD camera's hitting the market, second hand samples will become more common and this is the case. I have seen many used CCD's come up for sale (my own QHY8 was one of them) for very reasonable prices, some very close to your mod price alone. In fact the last month has seen 2 virtually new ST8300's up on the block (AlexN and Tandum). It doesn't really matter how much you modify a DSLR, eventually you will want a CCD....it happens to all of us if we don't give up astronomy all together first.

Mark
Old 20-04-2010, 09:31 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
It doesn't really matter how much you modify a DSLR, eventually you will want a CCD....

Mark
Agreed
I've just seen Phil's Rho shot
Old 21-04-2010, 06:43 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Agreed
I've just seen Phil's Rho shot
Both those shots are very good indeed. Like TrevorW I think the 9 shot is smoother but the canon does offer a larger FOV. To throw the cats amongst the pigeons even more so to speak I have it on good authority that the QHY9 OSC camera will cost about $2000 Au with all the usual goodies (Al case etc etc). All the cooling capacity of the 9 mono without the filter hassles. The QHY10 is also being tested and that has a sony chip which will make it even more interesting but I imagine that will carry a cost similar to the QHY8 pro. Good times ahead for all aspiring imagers me thinks.

Mark
Old 21-04-2010, 10:41 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Both those shots are very good indeed. Like TrevorW I think the 9 shot is smoother but the canon does offer a larger FOV. To throw the cats amongst the pigeons even more so to speak I have it on good authority that the QHY9 OSC camera will cost about $2000 Au with all the usual goodies (Al case etc etc). All the cooling capacity of the 9 mono without the filter hassles. The QHY10 is also being tested and that has a sony chip which will make it even more interesting but I imagine that will carry a cost similar to the QHY8 pro. Good times ahead for all aspiring imagers me thinks.

Mark
Very interesting news there Mark.
But, I think as Phil's comparisons and images have shown - specific tools produce great results when doing their specific jobs.
The cooled DSLR works well on widefield imaging due to the beautiful, no-hassle marriage between lens, sensor and camera.
The QHY9 +/- filter wheel mates nicely with a 1.25" or 2" focuser to produce those high res results in scopes without the hassles of trying to adapt lens to CCD and mesh focal distances etc - with a scope a CCD works! With lenses it's harder work!

Each has it's place and its strengths.
Still not too sure which way to proceed - but having fun learning.
Cheers for all the information given in these threads - Cheers all.
Doug