Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 26-03-2010, 06:27 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Help please! Distorted Stars with Oiii filter

I have been attempting NB synthetic colour imaging

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=58758

for the last week or so and I have hit a bit of a snag, well more than one as you can see, but I am looking for some ideas to help me track down why my Oiii frames show distorted stars.

Last night was clear again so I went back to NGC3372 see if I could get better Oiii data, before I did so I took my filter wheel apart, removed and cleaned the filters and re-assembled. As far as I can tell all the filters are screwed fully in (they were anyway), I also removed the filter holder and re-seated it.

However this did not improve things - my Ha frames show round stars but my Oiii images show a distortion in the star shapes - I am at a loss as to the cause of this? Is my filter faulty? I am beginning to think so as I have not seen this in LRGB frames.

Or could it be a focus issue - if I am not quite critically focussed the stars are better shapes but then I loose details, I can't really think it could be anything else as the only things changing are the filter and therefore the wavelength in the CCD light path.

Attached are a couple of raw light frames to show the issue, these are 4 min subs taken in sequence - and I have 32 of each showing the same issue...

Filters are the Astronomics ones
Filter wheel as an ATIK USB unit
Camera is an Opticstar 145M
Scope is a 127mm North Group APO (F7.5)
Image Scale is 1.4" / pixel

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (H_ngc3372_3.jpg)
120.9 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (O_ngc3372_3.jpg)
153.6 KB38 views
Old 26-03-2010, 01:19 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Processed result

Here is how the procssed image looks
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (etasmall.jpg)
192.3 KB19 views
Old 26-03-2010, 01:27 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Could it be a slight tilt? The elongation seems uniform across the whole field. Have you tried to rotate the Oiii filter 90 degrees in its cell then shoot again? That should tell you if it's a problem within the filter holder frame or glass, or the filter wheel?