Old 13-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by entr0py View Post
Surely this has been asked many times but what are everyone's "go to" eye pieces for planetary observations? i.e. if you had to do it again what would you not buy or buy differently or sooner?
I have a big collection of eyepieces Takahashi, Televue, Pentax XW's, TMB Supermonocentrics, Zeiss, Docter 12.5mm and newly acquired Nikon Nav's but I seem always to come back to the Takahashi LE's for viewing Planets. I am eager to try the new range of Takahashi TPL's.
Old 14-08-2023, 01:30 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Surely this has been asked many times but what are everyone's "go to" eye pieces for planetary observations? i.e. if you had to do it again what would you not buy or buy differently or sooner?
Pairs of Tak LE 5mm and 7.5mm in Zeiss binoviewer at the back end of TOA130NFB…..
Old 19-08-2023, 07:42 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Hi, in my admittedly small time in this hobby (4 years) the best eyepiece for me so far for planetary observations has been my Cielo HD 6.5mm ( I believe it the same as Celestron X Cell).

This eyepiece always gives me a razor sharp view, Jupiter and Saturn look like they have been etched with a very fine pen! I have compared it with my other eyepieces, same night same conditions and it always comes out on top for planetary observations.
Old 19-08-2023, 09:08 AM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpickCrom View Post
Hi, in my admittedly small time in this hobby (4 years) the best eyepiece for me so far for planetary observations has been my Cielo HD 6.5mm ( I believe it the same as Celestron X Cell).

This eyepiece always gives me a razor sharp view, Jupiter and Saturn look like they have been etched with a very fine pen! I have compared it with my other eyepieces, same night same conditions and it always comes out on top for planetary observations.
Hi Joe. I, too use cielos and xl. I'm very happy with them. They give nice sharp views and 60 degree field which suits me as I dont like to have to move my eyes around the field too much while observing. I can just stare. Comfortable 16mm eye relief which is right in my sweet spot. Also very nice screw up eyecups. Good value eyepieces.
Cheers, Richard
Old 19-08-2023, 09:16 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Hi Joe. I, too use cielos and xl. I'm very happy with them. They give nice sharp views and 60 degree field which suits me as I dont like to have to move my eyes around the field too much while observing. I can just stare. Comfortable 16mm eye relief which is right in my sweet spot. Also very nice screw up eyecups. Good value eyepieces.
Cheers, Richard
Hi Richard, I heartily agree! They are very good "bang for your buck" eyepieces. I too like the 60° AFOV they have and yes those screw up eyecups are very nice. I also have the Cielo HD 4.5mm and 2.3mm, they are also good for planetary and lunar observations and come close to my 6.5mm for sharpness . I'm glad that you are enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine

Clear Skies
Joe
Old 19-08-2023, 10:37 AM
Dave882 (David)

In my binoviewers I only use 2 pairs for pretty much everything:
Denkmeier D21mm FMC for Solar and Lunar
Burgess 9mm TMB Planetary for major and minor planets or Lunar if the conditions are excellent

These give me around 200x and 450x in the c14 (bit less with the powerswitch) and found both to be great contrast and really sharp. Although I’ve got my eye out for something around the 5-6mm for those nights of exceptional seeing.
Old 21-08-2023, 08:08 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpickCrom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
Cheers, Richard
Another Saxon Cielo HD eyepieces user here, I've had mine since Pete at Astro Anarchy first started stocking them. I've three eyepieces in the range, the 25mm, 12mm, and the 6.5mm. I posted about what ones I have, in post number 357 in this thread.
The 6.5mm is my go to for most tasks, with the 12mm being used mostly as a general viewing ep. The 12mm is my immediate go to for general lunar viewing. At dark sites I can get transport to, that's when the 25mm gets its most use. It's good for constellations and nebulas, which you simply can't see in urban light pollution.
I don't have any Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, but I wouldn't mind trying some out to see how they compare to the Saxons.