Old 12-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Astronomik UHC Visual Filter

Does anyone have experience with the Astronomik UHC visual filter as I would like to know if they provide more detail , contrast and possibly colour when viewing various Nebula (emission, planetary etc )
I have a 12” GoTo Dob and use Televue Ethos , Delos , Panoptic eye pieces at my semi dark site ( Bortle 3 / 4 skies )
I already use low costs planetary and lunar filters which work well plus a Astronomik CLS filter for my Canon 600D which doesn’t get much use
Any advice or comments most appreciated
Cheers
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Hi Martin, I use an Astronomik 2inch UHC with my 10 and 18 inch dobs. Best performance is at lower power, usually with my Nagler 31 or Ethos 21mm, and improves contrast and more detail is visible. Works great on Eta Carina, Thors helmet, LagoonTriffid, tarantula and other nebula in the LMC and SMC. Works okay on planetary neb as well as the veil and Vela SNR, but these show up better through my Astronomik OIII. Can't see any colour.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:39 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Colour in nebulae? Yes, BUT it depends...

Read this:

Why can't I see colour through my telescope?

Now, add a filter, and the chance of seeing colour is greatly reduced.

Alex.
Old 13-02-2019, 05:53 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Ivan
Thanks for your advice well received
Alex
Thanks for your detailed analysis of eye perception and colour
Do you use Astronomik UHC filters ?
Is so, would you recommend me spending the $400 as I would need a 1.25” and a 2” for my 12” goto and quality Televue eye pieces
Any advice on the O111 and what objects it would be used on ?
Cheers
Old 13-02-2019, 10:09 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

First, there's a reason why there are OIII and UHC filters. Each filter type transmits very specific wavelengths because nebulae, depending on their type, glow predominantly in very specific wavelengths. So each filter is better suited to different nebulae.

In the same thread that my first link below is a post about filters, and their use. Rather than duplicating everything there, here's a link to that very post about filters. It also details a very unique hybrid filter that is a unique combination of both OIII and UHC if watching the pennies is important, this filter is a fantastic compromise.

Nebula filters

Would even pay to read through my entire article about nebulae. You will benefit more from going through it all than just individual posts as one post leads into another and everything falls into context:

Understanding Nebulae - what it is you are looking at.

Me, my own filters are a mixed bag. I have the OIII and NPB (really just a UHC type filter) from DGM. I also have one of these OIII + Hbeta filters mentioned in the link above. All of these are 2". I use these filters when I'm using a 2" focuser no matter if the eyepiece is 2" or 1.25". I also have a GSO OIII 1.25" filter and a 1.25" Light Pollution filter that I use exclusively with scopes that have 1.25" focuser, which also tend to be smaller apertures too.

For me, if you have a 2" focuser, I would suggest sticking with 2" focusers. You will be able to wind them into the 1.25" adapter for this size eyepieces. No need to double up on both 2" and 1.25" filters.

As for Astronomik filters, they are fine. I've looked through Ivan's 18" scope with that filter. I honestly cannot see a difference between it and my own NPB filter. The Astronomik filters can be found new here in Oz. The DGM range comes from the US. Or, you can also post an ad here in the Wanted section of the IIS classifieds.

Alex.
Old 13-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Thanks for the comprehensive guide to filters
A great resource
I’m fortunate not to worry about pennies so I will buy a complete set of both
I’m amazed at the views my 12” provides so once filters are used I should see even more detail especially on a night of good seeing conditions
Thanks again for your expertise

Martin
Old 14-02-2019, 05:44 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

An OIII filter is a real recommendation.
Even in my humble 110mm ED Orion Nebula, Tarantula and Eta show amazingly.
And fainter objects also look awesome, such as the Veil Nebula.

And in my 400mm Dob the Veil Nebula is amazing while without even my Dob does not show anything in the Veil.
Old 15-02-2019, 06:51 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Astronomik UHC visual filter as I would like to know if they provide more detail , contrast and possibly colour when viewing various Nebula (emission, planetary etc )
I have a 12” GoTo Dob and use Televue Ethos , Delos , Panoptic eye pieces at my semi dark site ( Bortle 3 / 4 skies )
I already use low costs planetary and lunar filters which work well plus a Astronomik CLS filter for my Canon 600D which doesn’t get much use
Any advice or comments most appreciated
Cheers
Hi Martin,

I have a 2" Astronomics UHC and OIII, a 2" Lumicon UHC and OIII and a 2" DGM Optics NPB Filter. I use these in Newtonians from 10" to 30", well I did, the 30"/F4.6 SDM now has a 2 piece mirror. So the largest scope will be 25" moving forward.

You certainly don't need all of those filters, but they are all a little different and do slightly different things on different targets. The Lumicon Filters have tighter bandpasses than the Astronomics filters and on some targets slightly extend the extremities of the nebula, compared to the equivalent Astronomics filter. However, IMO the Astronomics filters give an aesthetically nicer view than the Lumicon filters because they let more of the stars through that are in the field, compared to the Lumicons.

Of all the filters I have the one that gets easily the most use is the DGM Optics NPB filter. This is a very tight bandpass UHC filter but offers a reasonable improvement on the most targets and on the widest range of targets of all the filters I own and have used. That includes all of the Meade, Celestron and Thousand Oaks filters as well.

If I could only have one deep sky filter for visual observing I would choose the 2" DGM Optics NPB filter every single time. It is also a good bit cheaper than the Lumicons and Astronomics. The Astronomics is probably the best made of them all mechanically and optically, but they are all good.

You could also have a look at my article on filters which I prepared for a presentation ay IISAC in about 2011

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-680-0-0-1-0.html

Cheers
John B
Old 15-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi John,
Thanks for responding, greatly appreciated
Your presentation on filters is excellent, concise and easy to understand even for the beginner
If fact everyone has been so helpful since I posted my enquiry
I’ve have a shopping list together for some new equipment in March / April so will add my filters to the list
Thanks again
Cheers
Old 15-02-2019, 11:14 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

The DGM NPB is a fine filter indeed.
Old 16-02-2019, 09:35 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Ivan
Is so, would you recommend me spending the $400 as I would need a 1.25” and a 2” for my 12” goto and quality Televue eye pieces
Cheers
Hi Martin,

I am not sure if the bottom of the focuser on that telescope is threaded or not. You're in luck if it is.

The bottom of "some" focusers are threaded.

All of my scopes have Feathertouch Focusers which are threaded to accept 52mm male filter threads on the bottom of the focuser drawtube. 2" Astronomy Filters are threaded 48mm male thread. I have a 52mm to 48mm Step down ring screwed to the bottom of all of my focusers and loctited in place. I use 2" filters exclusively and screw them to the bottom of the focuser drawtube. This means I can use whatever eyepiece I like with the filter, without having to unscrew and rescrew the filter onto a different eyepiece. While it's not as good an option as a filter slide, not all scopes can accept a filter slide due to clearances in the top end of the scope. My scopes can't have a filter slide fitted as the Upper Cage Assembly's have been minimally sized to enable use of the smallest possible secondary mirror, which was more important to me than fitting a filter slide, as I had the bottom of the focuser option available for filter use. Some people might also tell you the filter should be closer to the eyepiece field stop but I have A/Bed countless targets with the filter in both positions and never picked a difference and if that were correct a filter slide would be even worse, and plenty of those get sold.

Cheers
John B