Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

First Jupiter for 2019

Last night I decided to wait up for Jupiter to climb above the trees and image it for the first time this year. My 8 inch newt struggled to resolve surface detail under poor seeing conditions. This is the result:

Canon 550d DSLR, 950 frames @50fps, 800iso processed in Pipp, Autostakkert, Registax and resized in Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (19thMay.JPG)
42.3 KB58 views
Old 20-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Nice image Michael considering
I have tried a few times at lower altitudes recently and have the same issue ( atmospheric dispersion)
I think you have to do a late one and image Jupiter up near the zenith to score some clean video ( it’s hit and miss sometimes)
Old 20-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

A good start to Jupiter season , better seeing and more altitude will improve the image over the next few months. Hope to see more from you when conditions allow.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Nice image Michael considering
I have tried a few times at lower altitudes recently and have the same issue ( atmospheric dispersion)
I think you have to do a late one and image Jupiter up near the zenith to score some clean video ( it’s hit and miss sometimes)
Thanks Martin, Jupiter was quite high overhead when I started imaging. It was just unfortunate that at the time I was able to image, seeing wasn't great and there was some high cloud around. If I'd been able to capture earlier or later than I did, conditions may have been better. The ' Luck of the Draw' as they say, you really never know until you start shooting how good or how bad conditions will be but that's what makes planetary imaging so challenging, as I'm sure you already know. We keep trying to strike that perfect time!
Old 20-05-2019, 10:34 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

BTW I use Meteoblue website for weather, its always spot on for cloud in my location. So I can setup while some cloud and by the time i'm ready its clear as predicted, or vice versa to know to bother to set up or not. The website has hourly forecasts.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
A good start to Jupiter season , better seeing and more altitude will improve the image over the next few months. Hope to see more from you when conditions allow.
Thanks Jeff, I'm certainly going to give it another go, planet season is just beginning.
Old 20-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
BTW I use Meteoblue website for weather, its always spot on for cloud in my location. So I can setup while some cloud and by the time i'm ready its clear as predicted, or vice versa to know to bother to set up or not. The website has hourly forecasts.
Another cloud forecast site to view, I'll add it to the one's I already use and compare each to the other and conclude that majority wins! Thanks for the info Steve.
Old 20-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Nice clean pic. The combination of good seeing and perhaps running a de-rotation software program would enhance it even further, Keep them coming Mick.