Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 11-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Redeye

CGX Mount Location, time and Goto Issues

I have a CGX mount and have been experiencing issues surrounding entering location and time information which leads to major goto errors.

Basically, I have been entering the actual location of my site in Lat Long and then entering the local time, inc DST, which for Canberra is +10 currently (inc DST) and the date. I have been entering the date in US format as required. However, when trying to Goto, the mount thinks it is somewhere completely different and starts pointing to the ground etc.

When I enter Canberra from the handset as the location, and my local time, Goto's are pretty much spot on.

I am getting confused!

Subsequently

1. Any idea why this is happening? 9I suspect it is the time that I am entering DST and +/- hours setting)
2. Can anybody confirm what DST and +/- I should be setting for my location if it is the time?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 AM
fornax (Phil)
deliberately buried ...

I remember when I first fired up my CGX, I punched in Adelaide and local time and it didn't point correctly. Entered lat & long and used UT and it worked fine.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Redeye

Thanks. Presumably that was UT without any offset or DST regardless of the time of year?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 PM
tvandoore (Tim)

I had an issue like this, very frustrating. I narrowed it down by asking it to goto a recognisable target near the SCP (ie rigel Kent). If it pointed somewhere in the arc where it was/will be, it's probably a time issue. If it goes to the ground or off towards the north, it's likely a location problem. On that occasion, I was using + instead of - for the latitude.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 PM
Redeye

Thanks. I’ll try that out as well. It would often point into the ground for targets, but will try something near the SCP when I undertake my next setup with the advice provided.

Cheers
Old 19-02-2019, 01:16 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Some of my mounts had similar issues and a menus option for choosing north or southern hemisphere solved the issue. Otherwise definitive lat/long/ UT (simple zulu time, no offsets, no local, just work in gmt time) values. Also if you can make sure the mount has the latest firmware installed (you can never know how long your mount had been sitting in a warehouse before you bought it so dont assume its latest at time of purchase.
Old 19-02-2019, 01:48 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
Also if you can make sure the mount has the latest firmware installed (you can never know how long your mount had been sitting in a warehouse before you bought it so dont assume its latest at time of purchase.
+1 that. My old Girl's AstroFi mount was touchy with it's connection stability out of the box. A firmware flash (available at time of purchase) went a long way to helping things.

Also, whilst all these suggestions are intelligent and true, if you're as lazy as I am, consider adding a GPS module. It will spoonfeed your mount with true values with near zero input from yourself. I bought a StarGPS NX-02, and have been happy at the convenience it offers. I got this model, as it is not locked to any make of mount.
Old 19-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Redeye

thanks sil, I had updated to the latest software as I am always conscious of system updates.

AndyG, I have an old celestron GPS that seems to work with the mount, but is not advertised as compatible as they only state thier current model. I have been trying not to use it so as not to rely on it and wanted to understand what was going on before I started using it again. I like the idea of a mount independent GPS mouse with higher accuracy than my current version. Thanks for the recommend
Old 19-02-2019, 03:18 PM
glend (Glen)

These mounts are not old enough to have been sitting in a warehouse becoming outdated. I have never had the sort of problems your describing with my CGX and it was one of the first five to arrive in Australia in December 2016.
I suggest you download the CGX PWI direct computer connect software, this will negate the need to have a hand controller plugged in to the mount. The PWI software provides a sky multipoint modelling tool, and is easy to use. It has some issues, but for the purposes of your testing and configuration, it would confirm or not the hand controller software.
And frankly, you do not need to think about plugging in GPS modules, the software already contains enough choice to get very close to your place. Don't over complicate it.