Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Diving in the Lagoon

Hi all,
This is my first plunge at M8 and by far my deepest shot I've taken. Over two evenings last Thurs & Fri- good seeing and transparency under backyard sky and moonless night was as good a chance on offer lately.
Using the DSLR, unguided (becoming a pain) 250subs@45sec totaling 3hrs integration. I had to discard 40% of subs due to star trailing. This is just something I have to deal with given the weight of the scope and perhaps the tiring mount gears perhaps. Framing was always going to be tight given the 1250 focal length however a closer view on offer as a trade off.
I'm satisfied with the end result after withstanding the cold.

Cheers,
Anth
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lagoon M8 ST PS First Finial.jpg)
212.3 KB114 views
Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

That's excellent. Some nice color coming through. I like the processing as it brings out detail of the structures
Old 07-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Imme (Jon)

You’ve definitely done an amazing job on that one anth....well done. You got great colour, great star colour and some beautiful dust showing up. Surely you’ve got to be happy with that.

Throwing away 40% does seem to be a waste mate....guiding time maybe? You would definitely reduce ‘throw away’ subs by going that way. My view is time under clear skies is far too rare to be throwing away half the subs you take!

Well done mate....excellent effort and one to throw on the wall
Old 07-07-2019, 11:16 AM
casstony

That's beautiful Anthony. The different colours and tones help show the structure and give more of a 3D feel.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Wonderful clarity and processing, love the star spikes, amazing job from the suburbs!
Old 07-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

That’s a wonderful of M8 with only 45sec subs unguided , Wow !!

The mind boggles if you can start guiding with 3 to 5 minute exposures
The Orion 50mm mini guide scope should fit into your finder scope shoe and an ZWOASI120MM-S guide camera with PHD2 will do the job up to 1500mm focal length
My 8” F5 newt (1000mm focal length ) guides comfortably at around 1 arc sec with 13.5 kgs on board on my EQ6-R Mount

With images like that, guiding will expand your capabilities and expose so much more particularly on the dimmer objects

Great work !!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
That's excellent. Some nice color coming through. I like the processing as it brings out detail of the structures
Thanks Chris,
I was amazed that this image required very little effort to process given my basic experience with other ones I’ve done. Little noise if any to deal with and colour balance was easy too, the stars didn’t require any intervention either(all be it a bit oval) I believe this was made easier due to the longer integration and low ISO used and cold conditions. Of course favourable conditions help it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
You’ve definitely done an amazing job on that one anth....well done. You got great colour, great star colour and some beautiful dust showing up. Surely you’ve got to be happy with that.
V

Throwing away 40% does seem to be a waste mate....guiding time maybe? You would definitely reduce ‘throw away’ subs by going that way. My view is time under clear skies is far too rare to be throwing away half the subs you take!

Well done mate....excellent effort and one to throw on the wall
Cheers Jon,
Very happy with the result, the UVIR cut filter does a good job with star colour I’ve found.
Yeh a bit annoying to trash nearly every second sub- there was no breeze at all and still many were affected. Yeah I recon guiding is inevitable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
That's beautiful Anthony. The different colours and tones help show the structure and give more of a 3D feel.
Cheers Tony,
Yes agreed, the variable intensity in colour and mid tones add to the shape and depth. It’s an eye catching nebula for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Wonderful clarity and processing, love the star spikes, amazing job from the suburbs!
Thanks Mick,
Contending with sky glow from the city is a challenge and I can see it very clearly from high on my block. Given that it’s still surprisingly dark particularly later in the evening- I guess more lights are switched off in the local area which helps.
The star spikes add a bit of spark to any image I recon. The newly forming stars in the central area (hourglass) is quite spectacular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
That’s a wonderful of M8 with only 45sec subs unguided , Wow !!

The mind boggles if you can start guiding with 3 to 5 minute exposures
The Orion 50mm mini guide scope should fit into your finder scope shoe and an ZWOASI120MM-S guide camera with PHD2 will do the job up to 1500mm focal length
My 8” F5 newt (1000mm focal length ) guides comfortably at around 1 arc sec with 13.5 kgs on board on my EQ6-R Mount

With images like that, guiding will expand your capabilities and expose so much more particularly on the dimmer objects

Great work !!
Thanks heaps Startrek!
Very encouraging remarks and tips for guiding. I’m carrying 17.5kg of load so I’m always going to be behind the eight ball but I’m willing to give it a try. Also narrowband imaging will be another challenge but one step at a time. The limitations of DSLR Imaging in the suburbs is that anything longer than 1min exposures wash out the image- blessed are those with true dark skies hey....
Old 07-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

With our fickle weather we have to do what we have to do, it's a great image
Old 08-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Nicely done Anth, love the colours & depth of the image. It seems a lot of us are throwing away subs due to the crap weather.
Guiding will make a huge difference to offset those losses when you take the plunge, resistance is futile .
Cheers,
Antonio
Old 09-07-2019, 04:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great first effort really...there is not much I can add although I would probably run the burn tool (in Photoshop it's very handy as is the doge tool to brighten a spot or two) over a few spots to increase darkness here and there...Well done you can be proud of your effort.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Thanks for your comments fella’s.
Nik the intermittent good/bad weather is part of the game I know. This is partly the reason for my focus on building an obs - so I can get going as soon as the skies oblige.Well done on your belt mod too!
Ant, I’ve become accustomed to accepting lost subs due to tracking issues but time under perfect skies are far and few between as Imme suggested so auto guiding is on the radar. I’m now investigating the options which Startrek and Imme have put forward.
Al, appreciate your thoughts Thankyou. I will have a look at those PS functions and keen to see the improvements.

Cheers
Anth
Old 09-07-2019, 04:43 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Very nice work...
Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Thanks Rowland!
Old 17-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Great first effort really...there is not much I can add although I would probably run the burn tool (in Photoshop it's very handy as is the doge tool to brighten a spot or two) over a few spots to increase darkness here and there...Well done you can be proud of your effort.
Alex

Alex,
I took a moment to try out you suggestion using the Dodge command in Photoshop. Here is a quick enhancement to test it out on my recent shot of the Lagoon. Whether or not it has improved the image or not is up for debate however it is certainly worth exploring.(I think with more practice I will utilise this technique).
It does highlight selected areas very well - its just trying to use it modestly...

Thanks
Anth
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lagoon M8 ST PS First Final dodge.jpg)
215.6 KB29 views

Last edited by Anth10; 18-07-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 17-07-2019, 11:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Definitely 100% better☺.
Alex
Old 18-07-2019, 12:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Try the burn tool on the Dragons and see if you are happy with the result.
Alex