Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Jupiter & Saturn. 06-07-2019

Well my images are highly amateur.

Had some good viewing last night despite cloud and high light conditions.

I think it's time I started learning how to DSLR with my dob.

Jupiter was a good view and even saw a transiting moon.
Saturn was ok

Actual viewing was better than the images show. (Phone camera etc), but I'm happy with these for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PSX_20190707_102457.jpg)
96.0 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (PSX_20190707_110524.jpg)
28.2 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (PSX_20190707_102347.jpg)
48.8 KB40 views
Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 PM
foc (Ross)

You have some interesting and memorable shots there and it looks like you had fun and really that nearly all that we can hope to achieve.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:24 PM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Thanks Ross.

So far my photos have simply been best effort of what I can see in the eyepiece.

I'm going to spend the time to at least be able to take a passable photo with the SLR

A photography setup is some way off yet.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Drew I would be very happy to get those captures considering your limitations and clearly you know what you are doing ... So start saving for a dedicated astro photo rig as I think the bug has bitten and the itch will need to be scratched at some stage
Well done and good luck with your journey.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 07:42 AM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Drew I would be very happy to get those captures considering your limitations and clearly you know what you are doing ... So start saving for a dedicated astro photo rig as I think the bug has bitten and the itch will need to be scratched at some stage
Well done and good luck with your journey.
Alex

Yes the bug has bitten!
Want to have the ability to set an AP scope running and spend time viewing with my Dob.

Might be a bit of a long term project getting it all together rather than 1 massive expense.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:31 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedRider View Post
Yes the bug has bitten!
Want to have the ability to set an AP scope running and spend time viewing with my Dob.

Might be a bit of a long term project getting it all together rather than 1 massive expense.
Make a budget with a total dollar amount, I suggest a heq5 and a 6 inch GSO, or an 8 inch GSO with a coma corrector, plus a t ring (that is all you need) then determine how much you can save each week divide that into the budget amount to set a goal as to a date...of course you can add more to that savings account from sales of stuff you find laying around and don't need anymore. You could even go just for a mount and just use a camera lens..a cheap lens can be had for $200 that enables one to get great shots on a eq mount...But start today open an dedicated savings account or select a sock and start filling either one....
You can do really good images running unguided for a long time...I am still running unguided for many reasons even though I have the necessary guide camera etc...you can set your DSLR to run on auto taking 30 second captures which works better than most believe and so you can view thru your dob whilst the camera just bangs away.

And even now you can get hold of deepskystacker and try It with some very short captures through your dob if so inclined.

Good luck and remember start today.
Alex