Old 26-06-2019, 11:55 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Processing experiment

Last night I took this shot of Jupiter using my unmodded Canon 550d in video Crop mode through the 8 inch Newtonian. Basically a 3min video grab under better than average seeing. The first image was processed by using 3 x 1min parts of the original video grab in Pipp by selecting the first 1min of the video, then the middle 1 min section and finally processing the last 1 min at the end. You end up with 3 video files which have been quality adjusted, to be stacked in AutoStakkert.
I then open each resulting .tif file produced from AutoStakkert in Registax and apply wavelets and other adjustments as required. I then finish off in Photoshop by registering the 3 .tif files to align the rotation of the planet. It works pretty well, I think.

The second image of Jupiter was processed using the same 3 min video grab in Winjupos and derotating it. This produced 3 .ser files, a Red, Green and Blue. I then processed each of the three RGB .ser files in Pipp using the quality estimation function, resulting in 3 .avi files to stack in AutoStakkert. The resulting .tif files were then processed in Registax. In Photoshop, I then changed the mode of each RGB .tif file to Multichannel, registered each of them and then changed the mode to RGB.

I don't think the Winjupos image looks any better than just processing a short video grab of Jupiter ( 1 min or less ) and just importing it into Pipp, stack it in AutoStakkert and adjusting it in Registax, then Photoshop. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3PartCombo.jpg)
37.1 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (DeRot-Winjupos.JPG)
157.2 KB71 views
Old 27-06-2019, 02:45 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I've always seen Winjupos de-rotation as a tool to produce an image and not a better image from your data. In other words it doesn't improve the data it just compiles it.

If the goal is to produce a better image, then you would as you did take the de-rotated image to another application for enhancement e.g GIMP, Photoshop, PixInsight e.t.c.

So to me what you're showing makes sense. There's no real benefit in processing through Winjupos with OSC/DSLR data (unless it's mono converted) or you want to record measurements e.t.c.

Personally I like the de-rotated version even though it has a halo because it's automatically fixed the blue cast that the combination version has. However with a little post processing both could be made to look exactly the same.

All that aside they're both great captures and I'd be happy with either version. You're always getting the best from your gear Mick. Nice work!

Last edited by LostInSp_ce; 27-06-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Late night typos
Old 27-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Excellent results either way Mick. I really can’t split them, both very good regardless of the process. I’d be chuffed with these captures - well done.
Anth
Old 27-06-2019, 08:08 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

first one colour is off slightly, second has inside shadowing artifacts on the left edge but also possibly a tiny bit of extra detail around the edge. talking smegging tiny tiny tiny difference here. go with whichever process you prefer.
Old 27-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Just as a matter of interest, here's one of Saturn from the same night. No need for Winjupos this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
first one colour is off slightly, second has inside shadowing artifacts on the left edge but also possibly a tiny bit of extra detail around the edge. talking smegging tiny tiny tiny difference here. go with whichever process you prefer.
Thanks Steve, my colour adjustments in Photoshop are sometimes not what I expect to them to be, especially when displayed on other devices. What looks good on my Desktop can look very different on my phone for example. I often wonder what the true colour of the planets would be but I take your point, it may be off slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Excellent results either way Mick. I really can’t split them, both very good regardless of the process. I’d be chuffed with these captures - well done.
Anth
Thanks Anthony, always encouraging. I think I'll stick with the short video grabs for Jupiter to process normally and leave Winjupos for my Mono CCd camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
I've always seen Winjupos de-rotation as a tool to produce an image and not a better image from your data. In other words it doesn't improve the data it just compiles it.

If the goal is to produce a better image, then you would as you did take the de-rotated image to another application for enhancement e.g GIMP, Photoshop, PixInsight e.t.c.

So to me what you're showing makes sense. There's no real benefit in processing through Winjupos with OSC/DSLR data (unless it's mono converted) or you want to record measurements e.t.c.

Personally I like the de-rotated version even though it has a halo because it's automatically fixed the blue cast that the combination version has. However with a little post processing both could be made to look exactly the same.

All that aside they're both great captures and I'd be happy with either version. You're always getting the best from your gear Mick. Nice work!
Thanks for your informative comments LostInSp_ce, I accept what you're saying about Winjupos. I used it on a mono shot of Jupiter I took a few days back and it worked a treat but ccd imaging the planets is a whole new ball game for me. Yes, there's not much in it when you compare the two images together, it's a lot more effort processing them in Winjupos and subtle changes in processing techniques can change things a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn_25.6.JPG)
99.1 KB30 views