Old 27-04-2011, 02:55 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Setting my white balance for AP

I recently have played with the option of setting the wb on my D90. There is an option to use a white or grey background and press the wb button ( in pre(set) mode) and then taking a shot. It will then say 'good' or ' no good' if it has registered a good wb setting.
So far it has worked a treat and I like that option on some of my try out terrestrial shots ( only recently).

Now the question is......how can I use this function for Astro Photography?

I have read that using the tungsten setting is good in light polluted areas, but it always gives me a blueish tinge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!
Cheers
Bartman
Old 27-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Bart,

You really don't need to worry about the white balance for astrophotography. Some say to stick it on daylight mode, or whatever, so that there's no discrepency between sub-exposures. For example, falling light and the sky getting darker, may induce a slight shift in white balance when left in auto white balance mode.

At the end of the day, we massage our final data in post-processing so much, that white balance is the least of your concern. Much better to do G2V calibration to get colour correct, or, just ignore it altogether, and produce something of an artwork rather than scientifically correct.

But, that's just my ignoramus approach.

H