Old 21-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Thiink

I got a silver one as well. Wonder if its a twin-lens kit thing, or a JB Hifi thing? I actually really like the silver, adds a bit of colour to the thousands of other black ones, AND its what Canon use in most the images you see of the 350D.

So far other than the camera I also got a 512MB CF card (Sandisk), and the extended warranty (5 years). I went down and brought a genuine Canon camera bag at lunch time and one 58mm Hoya UV filter (its all the camera shop had left). The camera bag doesnt quite take the length of 75-300 lens sideways, but I can get around that (by stacking the lenses long ways in the bag with a cloth between them). I plan on getting another camera bag/back-pack in the near future for bush walking etc so who knows, it was only $45!

Mike: let me know anything you learn/find out, because its probably going to help me along as well! Now to get some images in for the Monthly Challenge!
Old 21-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Thiink

I finally got some time to play with my new camera, hooray! Im loving this thing so far. How is yours going Mike?

Ive been playing around with the two lenses (Im so glad I got the twin lens option), and they seem to offer a pretty damn good "zoom" range. Im going to be keeping these as my only two lenses until at least after xmas, so Im glad they work ok!

http://users.on.net/sjeriksson/img/i...ce/zoomage.jpg

That was taken in full auto from our top balcany just for something to do.
Old 24-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Thiink

Hm, Ive been researching the remotes for the 350D, have you got yours yet Mike?

The only thing I dont like about the IR ones (RC-1, RC-5) is that you have to be in front of the camera to use them, and they dont have/support half-shutter to get auto focus. I might look into getting a wired remote (RS-60E3) for the moment, and you can tell me what the RC-1 is like when you get it.
Old 24-11-2005, 02:03 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I got this one Simon, it's an RC-1.

For most applications of remote shooting you'll have focus set manually, or when setting up, use the auto to let it find focus and then don't touch it.

I doubt whether you have to be *right* in front of the camera, i'm sure it works from the side? I don't know..

Mine arrived in the mail today so i'll let you know after I test it tonight.

The wired remote has limited uses too, so neither is 100% what you want. For the type of shooting i'll be doing, the wireless suits me better.
Old 24-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Thiink

All valid points. I think a combo of both might work best for what I want to do. I am going to need the IR one for doing group shots this xmas, but the wired one might be easier for other bits and pieces I want to do.

If you could post your findings after youve had a play it would be muchly appreciated. I might end up only needing the IR one! Thanks Mike.
Old 24-11-2005, 09:06 PM
westsky

What about making a wired one yourself, it's easy and you get to make the cable the length you need, or you can make a series of cables that will unplug to the length that suits.
he's a link
http://www.peeters.com/300d.html
just follow the pictures,
I made one today, but I can't try it out my new 350D doesn't get here till Monday then it's off to Hutech to get the mod done

cheers
David.
Old 25-11-2005, 12:27 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsky
What about making a wired one yourself,
cheers
David.
That's so cool thanks David.
Old 25-11-2005, 05:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hey that's awesome David, I wonder if RB will make me one of those?

I tested out the wireless RC-1 remote last night. I'm very happy with it.. for what I want to use it for, it's perfect.

You have to set the firing mode on the camera to self-timer/remote.

The remote has a 3-way switch, "off", "1" and "2".

When in the "1" position, you press it and the camera will autofocus (if in AF mode) and then fire the shutter. So there will be some lag between pressing it and it actually firing. In MF mode it's obviously much quicker. If the camera is in "Bulb" mode, press the remote button once and it starts capturing.. press it again and it stops. So that will be great for my milkyway widefield shots.

When in the "2" position, it functions exactly as above, except there's a 2-sec self-timer after pressing the remote, so it gives you time to hide the remote (if a self-portrait/group shot).

As for remote position, sometimes it worked from behind the camera. 99% of the time it worked from the side of the camera, and 100% of the time it worked from in front of the camera. So as far as I'm concerned, there's no issue with the IR remote positioning.

The only downfall from my point of view, is that you can't use continuous shooting mode with this remote.

Hope that helps you in your choice Simon!
Old 25-11-2005, 07:36 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
Hey that's awesome David, I wonder if RB will make me one of those?
Already on my list ICE_cool_MAN, just need some spare time to get things underway.

Old 25-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Thiink

Ah thats great, thanks for that Ice!

I might just get one of those RC-1's for now and grab a wired one later on as well (or just make one, thanks David!). Now to wait and see if that Australian based eBay guy has any more for sale soon (I dont want get it from HK unless I have to).
Old 25-11-2005, 03:09 PM
westsky

Ah c'mon Mike it only takes a few minutes to put one together :-))
seriously it cost me less than $10.00 and it's perfect for astro work.
Now all I want is my 350D, it's going to be a long weekend :-))

David.
Old 25-11-2005, 03:32 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I don't doubt that David, but when it comes to electronics, my heyday was in 1988 when I did it in highschool
Old 25-11-2005, 04:02 PM
westsky

It's not electronics Mike just a bit of soldering
Here's another link to do with wireless remote
this one I can try also when the 350D gets here, I,ll let you know if it works with my universal remote
http://www.camerahacker.com/universa...te/index.shtml
If anybody has a universal remote try it out on your Canon.

David
Old 26-11-2005, 07:37 PM
RB (Andrew)

Wrong wiring on original site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsky
What about making a wired one yourself, it's easy and you get to make the cable the length you need, or you can make a series of cables that will unplug to the length that suits.
he's a link
I made one today, but I can't try it out my new 350D doesn't get here till Monday then it's off to Hutech to get the mod done

cheers
David.
Guys just a word of warning:
I found a mistake in the 2nd photo on this site.
It should look like my ammended attachment below.
I spotted it as I was making one for ICEMAN.
The original labels are wrong so I took the liberty to post the correct version.
It pays to double check things. The first wiring diagram/photo on this site is correct.
This cable controller works perfectly in this wired configuration.

Cheers and good luck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (300dremote003.jpg)
81.3 KB28 views

Last edited by RB; 26-11-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 27-11-2005, 07:16 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

You're a legend RB!

See David, I would've electrified myself
Old 27-11-2005, 10:07 PM
westsky

Ok Mike,If I can't convince you to build the simple control then don't try this one
RB you will like this one I found tonight, it's more complex than the other but it does give you control over the exposure time just what you need for the astro shots. getting the parts here may be a problem but it looks interesting.
have fun
David
http://www.albireo.at/astrohardware/timer/