Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 26-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

How strange. The thumbnail is oriented correctly but the image comes up upside down.
Old 26-11-2013, 01:50 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
How strange. The thumbnail is oriented correctly but the image comes up upside down.
it's right way up for me unless your fish like swimming upside down nice tank too. is salt water easier to maintain?

matt
Old 26-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
it's right way up for me unless your fish like swimming upside down nice tank too. is salt water easier to maintain?

matt
Yes. I opened the image on my phone and it displays upside down. On my pad it is correct. Still strange though.

The salt takes some setting up but isn't too hard to maintain. I change 10% of the water every 2 weeks and clean the skimmer weekly. I use to test the water regularly but haven't done so for over 6 months now. I think the most important thing is not to overstock the tank. The same fish have been in the tank for over 2 years with no additions apart from a few new bits of coral.
It is in a happy equilibrium.
Old 26-11-2013, 03:28 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Some Coool Aquascaping in these aquariums, very nice !
Used to have a few 3 foot tanks, only tropicals tho, one was a community tank full of allsoughts, angles, silver & red tailed sharks, neon tetras, blind cave fish, silver dollars etc ect! Did real well for years untill moved. The other was for growing a few Gauramis !
Also bread Gold fish before that, Veil Tails, beautiful tails, had approx 3000 of them one time, collected all the fertilized eggs on glass and moved to another tank away from hungry mum & dad, fed them with egg emulsion, but had to sell a lot of them when very small, didnt have the space for 3000 half grown goldfish

My uncle had a saltwater shop in Lismore. Obviousely had Tanks at his home also ,Man you have never seen such a large & amaizing tank in all your life, true words, Ill never forget it This tank was a 4 footer, told you it was huuge - - um, sorry, i forgot to mention that it was 4 foot as in 4 foot deep, yep, also 4 foot wide and 16 foot long yep, true words ! Uncle had to be in the tank with a snorkle for maintanance, true words, im not kiddin ya !

The glass was near 25mm thick, Uncle had to have 6 more concrete peirs put under the house to support the weight, & under the house he also had another tank half the size for just the filtering of the Salt Water which was pumped through the floor.

The Fish were amaizing and Aquascaping was, well unreal, just like the great barrier reef in places, he had growing live corals, starfish, octopusies and anemone, beautiful colours ! Had many large exotic sun fishes, really bright colours, strong bright Yellows etc, & even a Poisonious Lion fish, that was the ultimate apart from seahorses and real salt water sharks that need a constant current so they can rest and not die, Totally amaizing !
Like something youd expect at Mooloolabah Underwater World, Un-fathom-able, pun

Plus he had some small tanks around the house, like one in every bedroom, only small ones, only 6 & 8 footers, you know, piddly ones
Year right'o, I wish
Unbelievable, I still remember them well, must have been back in the '80's there abouts !
Anyway, thanx for letting me share that, and looking forward to some other aquariums here
Mights get another um just a little goldfish tank, they are easy enough, actuall have one laying around somewhere, yep, will dig it out.
Thanx for the inspiring thread Meru ...
Old 26-11-2013, 03:30 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
Yes. I opened the image on my phone and it displays upside down. On my pad it is correct. Still strange though.

The salt takes some setting up but isn't too hard to maintain. I change 10% of the water every 2 weeks and clean the skimmer weekly. I use to test the water regularly but haven't done so for over 6 months now. I think the most important thing is not to overstock the tank. The same fish have been in the tank for over 2 years with no additions apart from a few new bits of coral.
It is in a happy equilibrium.
that's a good thing to know. like Jason's and your tank the addition of coral and salt water fish make things a different ball game then fresh water.
maybe I should try and get some grasses or something in the tank for the goldfish, and some more rocks n logs or something to mix it up for them.

matt
Old 26-11-2013, 06:50 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

We have a 90 litre terracotta tub outside the wifes 4 goldfish within.

The big orange one is kurt Russell.the black one goldie hawn and the other two kate hudsen and wyatt

there was two large snails but a rat stole them from the tub
(Found there shells months later )

I once found kurt Russell on the tiles outside , not a flap left in him ,my wife was so going to cry , I gave him a couple of goldfish compressions and bugger me if he didn't gasp in the palm of my hand ,he was swimming upside down and was all messed up for a few days but a year on alls good ,,screen over the top now... not as pretty as an inside tank
but thems are badass tough fishes
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0008.jpg)
135.2 KB16 views
Old 28-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Some beautiful examples of fish homes here! This is much more of a reaction that I expected.

Lewis, your research is very interesting. Is it a part of a PhD? I wouldn't have guessed that these little snails had such healing powers Do you see any potential in the near future to use the healing properties? Humanely too?

Haha yes Marc your one does count!

Bob, that sounds amazing. You have any pics of the shop or the 'little' 6 or 8 ft tanks Must have cost a fortune.

Graham that really is a badass fish!! I can't believe you gave him mini-CPR (Albeit not mouth to mouth hehe). Is that duckweed I see in your tub?

Matt, ah I see what your saying, it's interesting how the snails are blind and only sensitive to brightness. Well you certainly seem to know what you're doing, I think feeding a little less and vaccuming a little more often would do the trick. Fish tanks really arnt hard work (Once you have a little experience), just gotta do some research beforehand. I would put Java moss in your tank, it's almost impossible to kill it and will grow without a light on your tank!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Well,

It's certainly been a while Here are a few more pics of the new tank, I upgraded from the 3ft to a 4ft tank last year with the 'works' (dual filters, LED lighting, CO2 injection, UV treater etc). Of course now that I'm done I have to sell it since I am moving interstate

How is everyone's else tanks going? Would love to see pics a few years on
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (17730_10205009433128586_6739832056520203291_n.jpg)
60.4 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (1900030_10202171518022482_243105799_n.jpg)
36.3 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (1901759_10202171518862503_75695962_n.jpg)
31.0 KB13 views
Click for full-size image (1959614_10202171841310564_2053456965_n.jpg)
52.7 KB15 views
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Had a few tanks in the past, biggest was an 80 litre octagonal. Tetras and even grew some Angelfish from tiddlers to quite large specimens. Gave up when the tank started leaking even after multiple repair atempts. Sold all the fish and the tank for not much and shifted the little red goldfish that was also in there to the outside pond where I had some Shubunkin. Now the goldfish is about 6" long and about 8 years old and mixes it with the dozen or more Shubunkin that have bred in the pool. Homebuilt recirculating filter system, papyrus reeds, Water buttercup plant and it more or less manages itself. I clean the pump inlet weekly, throw some pellets in for the fish and add a wee bit of antialgae once a month. I summer I run a shade sail over the top ( like a tent) to reduce sunlight and algae problems.
And they all keep breeding and growing. Must be a happy lot.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

That's great Brent, most people don't really treat their fish with too much thought so good to see you're taking good care I would like to have a pond one day, your DIY solution(s) sound quite interesting. I will be in touch if and when I put one in
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

As I said Meru, the pond takes care of itself largely. It is just a 2m by 1.5 meter hole in the ground with a plastic liner. Holds about 250-300 litres I think. Surrounded by rocks, garden, plants etc and with the water plants it's looks pretty natural.
The sun sheild is a triangular sunblocker material, about 70% blocking I got from the local hardware. Held about 600 mm above the pond by some ropes to the fence and a patio pole. Covers about 70% of the pond during the heat of the day and stops birds attempting to gte to the fish although they will happily fly down to the edge for splashes and drinks. Between that and the swan plants for the monarchs we have quite a little menangerie going on in our back yard.