Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation Article: RGB Planetary Imaging with a Monochrome Camera

Hi all

It's been a while but I've finally had a chance to write another article about planetary imaging - this time, it's about RGB Planetary Imaging with a Monochrome Camera.

It covers the reasons for choosing a monochrome camera, the hardware and software you need for monochrome RGB imaging, and most importantly, how to recombine your monochrome images back into a colour image. There's also a tutorial for LRGB combinations, tips for focusing and more.

My thanks go to Anthony Wesley (bird), arguably Australia's best planetary imager, for his review and contributions to the article.

You can read the article on the IceInSpace Articles page, or by clicking on the link below:

RGB Planetary Imaging with a Monochrome Camera

I hope beginner and intermediate level planetary imagers get something from the article and help you to make that next leap forward to produce better images.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (titleimage.jpg)
68.4 KB124 views

Last edited by iceman; 18-03-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 18-03-2008, 09:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Article uploaded.
Old 18-03-2008, 11:27 AM
matt
6000 post club member

Good work, Mike.

Easy to read and understand.

This will help a lot of people thinking of taking the next step up to mono (RGB) imaging, and help those with a little more experience get the most out of their images/imaging.

It's interesting to see how you do your processing in PS. You use the software a little differently to me. That's the beauty of all these apps...there's always a number of different ways to get the job done.

Again, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Last edited by matt; 18-03-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 18-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Arghh – you’ve just obliterated the last tenuous excuse I ever had for not taking the next step into RGB with my DMK, with your terrific, well illustrated, easy to follow yet very comprehensive article Mike. I guess the only question I have left is…..how on earth do you find the time to do all this stuff?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 18-03-2008, 02:16 PM
rsbfoto

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your article. After reading it following came to my mind based on an approach made by Edward Roach from USA

You describe the Pros ans Cons of each camera type in this case Monochrome and one shot color

¿ Why not get for example one DMK 21... and one DBK 21.. instead of a filterwheel ? Shoot the same object one time in BW and then in Color and combine those images ?

The cost of a BW and a Color camera is less then a BW with a filter wheel The focus point of both cameras is 100% parfocal. They really come well adjusted from TIS.

The Pro is you do not have to fiddle around with registering the 3 RGB AVI's.

I made once Saturn and this came out

http://www.rainerehlert.com/DMK/Saturn-20070405-03.jpg

I used this images BW DMK 21AF04.AS

http://www.rainerehlert.com/DMK/SaturnBW-070405.jpg

and this One shot color image DBK 21AF04.AS

http://www.rainerehlert.com/DMK/SaturnCS-070405.jpg
Old 18-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Thankyou for taking time and writing this article Mike. I am just about to venture into RGB imaging and this really cleared a lot of things up on what I need to do and get. There is a wealth of information there that is easy to read and understand.

Thanks once again Mike.
Old 18-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a detailed article.

Downloaded, take me a while to get up to speed, but im in the game ....

Cheers Alchemy
Old 18-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Phil
Phil H

very nice write up Mike. well done mate it will help allot of us out there.
Thanks
Phil
Old 18-03-2008, 09:36 PM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbfoto View Post
¿ Why not get for example one DMK 21... and one DBK 21.. instead of a filterwheel ? Shoot the same object one time in BW and then in Color and combine those images ?

You could conceivably capture more usable frames using this technique, and your individual colour channels will not be rotated against each other. I'd be curious to see some images taken in this way. As Mike mentions, some channels will be less sharp if your optics are not truly apochromatic.

The disadvantage would be the scenario where you want to capture a specific detail that is visible mainly in one colour channel, and you want to capture it at full resolution. Without filters, this would not be possible.
Old 19-03-2008, 01:01 AM
rsbfoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
You could conceivably capture more usable frames using this technique, and your individual colour channels will not be rotated against each other. I'd be curious to see some images taken in this way. As Mike mentions, some channels will be less sharp if your optics are not truly apochromatic.

The disadvantage would be the scenario where you want to capture a specific detail that is visible mainly in one colour channel, and you want to capture it at full resolution. Without filters, this would not be possible.
I agree and as always there are always compromises one has to make ...

Last edited by rsbfoto; 19-03-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 13-04-2008, 04:58 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

top stuff Mike, well done
Old 14-12-2009, 12:28 AM
The Doctor (Karlo)

I have just read the article "RGB planetary Imaging" and the"planetary Imaging and image processing" which are both exactly what I wanted to learn about as I'm about to embark..
One question tho, which TBH I may have overlooked, when using individual RGB filters( in my case the Baader RGB set (without IR blocking) ) should you include the IR filter in line with the filters or shoot without ? I'm using a QHY5 mono

Newbies who needs 'em !
Karlo
Old 14-12-2009, 12:32 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If your filters are not IR blocking (and I'm surprised at that) then yes my suggestion would be to put an IR in line in the nose piece. IR will make you image look a bit fuzzy. You may loose that extra crispness when it's needed on those rarely excellent nights.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:40 AM
The Doctor (Karlo)

Cheers Paul,
by eck that was fast !

It's the cheaper Baader RGB set, another poor choice I'm afraid but if all goes well then I'll upgrade
Info here.
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...preiswert.html

Karlo (live'n'learn)
Old 14-12-2009, 04:00 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Karlo

Paul's right - if your filters don't include IR blocking then you should.

But the Astronomik's (and most good brand ones) already have IR blocking built in.

I started out with a set of baaders, but I could never get the colour balance right and the red channel was too dim compared to the others. I upgraded to the Astronomik's after about 2 weeks

Good luck!
Old 14-12-2009, 04:15 AM
The Doctor (Karlo)

yeah , I'm thinking of selling 'em already , haven't even got out of the box yet. I'm sure the shop would take them back in Part-ex but they've nothing I want
Karlo