ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-09-2015, 08:07 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Vesta nearing opposition

Though not the largest asteroid, Vesta is the brightest. Has anyone managed to see it with the naked eye?
Old 26-09-2015, 12:20 PM
N1 (Mirko)

It's supposed to max out at 6.2mag (distance 1.437 AU) so won't be easy naked eye.
What aperture would you need to see it as a non stellar object?
Old 26-09-2015, 12:32 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Non stellar, probably nothing an amateur would have. I'm not aware of any photos of it that show detail from anywhere other than space.
Old 26-09-2015, 06:36 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Yes, I did see Vesta naked eye, way back in 1989 and a very pleasant memory it is too. We had been staying in Kalgoolie and on the way out of town checked for mail sent c\- PO. My copy of the astronomy mag was there (probably Sky and Space). That night we camped in the bush somewhere near Laverton and over dinner I read about Vesta being naked-eye (mag ~ 5.5) in Sagattarius. We had our fluoro light hanging over us but by leaning to one side and shading my eyes I thought I could see it!! After dinner I walked around the front of the car and it was very plain to see. I knew the sky well in those days and a new 'star' in such a well known part of the sky stood out clearly.

The next night we stayed in Meekatharra and the day after started our trip up the Canning Stock Route. Between long days and night time conversations around the campfire I never did see Vesta again. Thanks for reminding me of good times and perhaps I'll make an effort to see Vesta again, 26 years on.
Old 26-09-2015, 10:51 PM
ralph1
cloud magnet

I attempted Vesta naked eye about 2 weeks ago. I was unable to do it but I suspect that that was because there was a fair bit of thin cloud and a LOT of fog that morning. It was easily found in 10X50 binoculars.
I'm hoping to try again in the next few mornings.
It is currently displaying a disk 1/2'' across so perhaps someone with a large telescope could barely resolve the disk.
Ralph